Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

URGENT!!!! FLEER ANNOUNCES 2003/4 BASKETBALL PLANS!!!!URGENT

Fleer announced that they are cutting down the number of basketball products they put out
from 16 to 8.....does anyone believe this?? Can we get that in writing?? Im hoping that
they will bring back long favorites like Impact and Focus! Those were hot!

How about they cut from 16 to 2??

Does anyone here really like fleer??

Kevin

Comments

• bring back marquee and keep showcase...those base cards are the nicest in their line up...BRING BACK THE OLD SCHOOL HOOPS!!!!!!!!..LOL
  • I think cutting the number of products is prudent, but from 16 to 2? There's a difference between less-is-more and absurdity, mind you image Topps and Upper Deck have about 8 or so products each per year, so that number seems quite reasonable. Personally I'd be interested in seeing Donruss or Pacific have a try at basketball, but I don't think that's in the near-future image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH how could I forget about hoops!! 50 cents a pack AND crappy centering

what else could a collector ask for??? I want a fleer product that has 18 game used per
    box!! CAN I GET MORE CUTTINO MOBELY OR EDUARDO NAJARA JERSEY CARDS PLEASE???

Kevin
  • BTW here's what lines I would keep if I were controlling things:

Fleer (Tradition)
    Hoops (Bring it back!!! image )
    Fleer Premium
    Fleer Showcase
    Fleer Flair
    Fleer Marquee
    Fleer Hot Prospects
    And introduce a product somewhere along the lines of Pristine/Ultimate Collection, but different enough to make things interesting.

• I REALLY DONT THINK THAT DONRUSS OR PACIFIC COULD DO IT...WITH THE BIG THREE (UD/FLEER-SKYBOX/TOPPS) ITS KINDA HARD TO MAKE A NAME FOR YOUR SELF (EXAMPLE: PRESS PASS AND SAGE...EWWWW) IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE A REFRESHING BIG NAME COMPANY DO BKB BUT HIGHLY UNLIKELY....CONSIDERING THAT WE HAVE HAD THE BIG THREE PUSHED DOWN OUR THROATS FOR EVER AND EVER
  • I COULD DO WITH OUT TRADITION....NOT QUITE MY CUP OF TEA....MAYBE BOXSCORE OR SHOEBOX IN PLACE OF THAT...OTHER THAN THAT BJORK YOU HIT IT ON THE HEAD!!!!!
    speaking of sage...howcome they can come out with 6 autos per box and not charge and
    arm and a leg and the supposed big three, have to cut corners and offer autos and like
    stupid odds like 1:130???

hmmmm think about one??

Kevin

How come sage autos are worth less than others?? They are after all certified??
  • Well, having a product like Hoops (say 99 cents a pack, 8 cards) could allow kids to have an product they can afford and (perhaps more importantly) one parents wouldn't get sticker shock over. Then again, I'm guessing with all those CCG products at 3-4-5 dollars a pack and up... eh image I wouldn't mind having Hoops back, so there image

And what's so wrong about having a set of jersey cards where not everybody is a superstar? Diversity and accessiblity are the spice of life sometimes image

• Well, Tradition isn't necessarily my thing either, but some people like the old-school stuff. so let 'em have it image Of course, Shoebox was sort of old-school too, so I suppose that would be a nice substitute...

• THE REASON WHY I DONT LIKE SAGE...IT IS A 1ST AND 2ND YEAR PLAYERS PRODUCT....THEY DONT OFFER JORDAN/IVERSON/KOBE/SHAQ/KG....THEY GET CONTRACTS FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF A PLAYER AND PUT OUT CARDS FROM THEM IN THAT TIME FRAME...THEN THE PLAYER FALLS OUT OF THE PRODUCT...THATS WHY THE BIG 3 CAN CHARGE HIGH AND MAKE ODDS HIGH....THEY GOT PLAYERS GU AND AUTOS THAT SAGE/PRESS PASS DOESNT HAVE...THATS THE WAY IT IS
    fleer provides nothing. Can anyone name a card in the past 5 years that they printed up thats
    really wanted among collectors??

Fleer is great at the following:

Care less customer service
    Dead end redemptions
    Calling a guy a rookie 5 years after he had his first card!
    GU'ed jersey cards with a swatch 1 cm square!
    no imagination
    did I mention the customer service?

Someone name a fleer card in their collection that would really impress me?

Kevin
  • i sold a Yao Ming / vince Carter double jersey out of Hot Prospects #ed(4/10) back in december for $413..i personaly think that is impresive
  • I like Fleer Genuine image
    do they even make genuine anymore?? probably not...all those expensive patches cost
    money..heck I think they even put autos on there too! Remember those stupid
    super bowl programs they were inserting?? Yeah, stick a 1999 super bowl program in it
    and charge 200 for the box! LOL

Anyone remember 2000 fleer greats of the game baseball??? That was the last good product
    fleer had, some 3 years ago!

Kevin
  • fleer has bad customer service???....look at UD...thats a joke and a half...and FLEER produces masterpieces on each base card that rolls out.....thats impressive.....only reason they dont have any other "impressive" cards is cuz kobe/shaq/kg/duncan and jordan have big time contracts with UD or topps....topps cards are ridiculous too....only thing that keeps them somewhat interresting is the fact that they got duncan and shaq....they made pristine as a last ditch effort to make a come back....if fleer makes a "pristine" or "ultimate" - like product i will buy it....they are a good company as far as im concerned...they make boxes that are at or above the insertion rate of other higher priced boxes...the bad thing about the hobby is that the higher the price tag is on the box then the higher the price the card is....fleer makes the same quality GU/inserts as topps and UD but they do it at a lesser cost to the ppl who collect cuz they arent paying out tons to the likes of kobe/jordan/shaq/kg...they have exclusives to carter and thats it (correct me if im wrong...i think thats it in BKB) ....which allows them to have "fleer exclusive" cards but not at $10 a pack....think about it...are you paying UD for the cards or for the contract they have with their "exclusives"????...this hobby isnt about us anymore..its about the ppl we collect...its a shame but thats the way it is
    yeah good point but fleer has what may be the two hottest baseball players signed
    to deals...Jeter and Bonds....Compare how many autos of those guys they put out compared
    to how many UD puts out of Ichiro, Mac and Sosa and you see which company is cheaper!!

Im not here to praise topps and UD, but I get sick of the bizzion crappy products that fleer
    puts out every year...I mean jesus...Basketball isn't even over yet and look at all the crap
    fleer has already put out:

Flair
    Authentix (decent)
    Box Score
    Genuine
    Hot Shots.....so hot it winds up at the KB outlets for 20 bucks a box!
    Premium...whats so premium about a 15 dollar GU'ed Vince jersey card??
    Showcase
    Tradition....arrows going down!
    HoopsHot Prospect....(see Hot shots)
    Hoops Stars....what is this??
    Ultra...ummmm rookie exchange cards!! After shipping and insurance you actully lose money!

Thats 11 and they are not done yet! I count maybe one decent product in the whole bunch!

I can't wait for the so called cut so when I go to look something up in the beckett I don't have
    to flip through 10 pages of fleer garbage!

kevin
  • but heres the thing.....they do put out great products like FLEER FOCUS JERSEY EDT....i personally like it....the reason they put out sooo much is cuz they can make more by making good quality at cheap prices....think of it this way....would you take $120 and buy a UD product (such as the UD authentics i bought and got squat!!!..not complaining) or spend $80 on a box of flair which is a verry nice product..or even genuine or showcase...or authentix...and save $40 to buy a few extra packs.....all im saying is that they produce 3-4 nice products at a cheap price and 4-5 not so good but still not horrible products at an affordable price..(not all collectors are rich...figure a $2-3 pack for an 8 yr. old is nice when they can smile)....but over all their products....the total insertation rate for GU is 1:36 retail....thats not bad...yes some do suck...but look at it in a collection stand point...for ppl who collect to get their players they love...(not mj/kobe/shaq/kg) its not bad to pull an nice GU of vince or tmac or jrich from a $2-4 pack

• << <i>Someone name a fleer card in their collection that would really impress me? >>

dunno, but i happen to like all my jeter autos tho imagehttp://sandersonsc.tripod.com/ssc/id6.html
  • UndertakerUndertaker Posts: 5,200 ✭✭

<< <i>Someone name a fleer card in their collection that would really impress me? >>

hm.. my Marion Fleer Ultra Platinum RC #'d 10/25 and also (not really a card) my 00-01 Fleer Legacy Replica Jersey Auto Shawn Marion #'d /400
  • i dont know if were talkin about just BkB here, But I like Fleer Premium! image
  • Upper Deck is cutting back also.. Heard that at the Sun TImes Show
    WANTED:

ALL GOOD ROOKIE CARDS FROM ANY SPORT!!!

REF: DPSPORTS, SPEEDMASTER, nascar20, McDee(x2), Epag, Bradley25, Duncangal, Representcards, Drew(x2), Ahares(x2), Kenny(x2), 8kobe, jrrcrum, vittleboy, Remster, swides, robdemkis, LJMAYA, IversonMiles, BlackbirdXXX,RichyPF32
  • I love my '01 Fleer Mystique Film At Eleven Top Story #1/11! I too would love to see all the companies cut back on products tho, especially Fleer. It would sure make it easier on me collecting all of Tim's cards! LOL image
    I still collect Tim Duncan! Love all high end auto's, and game used basketball of Tony Parker, and Ginobili too! image This means more to me than any card...You can catch me on my site: Highlight Reel Trading

• << <i>do they even make genuine anymore?? probably not...all those expensive patches cost
    money..heck I think they even put autos on there too! Remember those stupid
    super bowl programs they were inserting?? Yeah, stick a 1999 super bowl program in it
    and charge 200 for the box! LOL

Anyone remember 2000 fleer greats of the game baseball??? That was the last good product
    fleer had, some 3 years ago!

Kevin >>

2001 Fleer Genuine baseball was a good product. Had #'d rookies, game used patches, and autographs (Names of the Game).
    yeah, bilia, I was specifically thinking of 01 genuine, obviously a good product that fleer didn't
    want collectors to have again! thats what Im talking about!

Im still not impressed by low numbered parallels. Even stuff numbered of 10 or 5 today really
    isn't great. As far as Jeter, fleer does put out some nice autos of him, but usually only a
    total of like 95 of them across a product. I doubt you pulled them from packs!

Anyone ever wonder why fleer phased out their best product ever...greats of the game???? Ill
    tell you why...becuase it cost them too much...so they went with a product with a bunch
    of jerseys in it!! I find that insulting!

Kevin
  • i personally dont buy alot of fleer stuff (too much jerseys- not enough autos!) and esp. since they got rid of autographics?? the best auto set in the hobby- makes no sense whatsoever. fleer legacy is a nice product in all the sports- wish they would keep that around

looking for good football gu and autos- especially rams- thanks
  • its a two sided story with fleer products....

1) They produce good cards for ppl who collect because its fun and enjoyable...its not a $160 dissapointment when you buy a pack and get a mid priced jersey...(unlike ultimate) its a $5 loss at most which is actually an average of a $10 gain in BV for each jersey

2) They dont put out autos in every brand they make...which does suck but the ones they do are like 1:150 for hot prospects or 1:500 for authentix...but look at the pirce...when you figure in the odds for each company...i think that fleer got them beat when you can buy a Hot prospects box...get 4 garunteed GU +1 RC patch garunteed in a box and have a decent shot at an auto too..i agree that autographics needs to come back...but Fleer is basically know as "home of the GU" and thats their traemark

What I like is that fleer has testominials from ppl on their site about boxes...packs...and how it brought JOY to people to open...isnt that what its about???....most of the post on there are from younger kids or parents who open boxes with their kids.....those cheap boxes at kmart and toys r us are the reason why some of those kids can write their story up there...cuz its not Expensive...alot of it is geared toward affordability.....the make a product more accessable with great results for the price.....ever see UD boxes for $9.99 with more than 8 packs that arent MVP or basic SERIES 1&2????....yes cutting back is necessary but I think that they are pleasing more than they are making upset
  • Only Fleer I still collect is autographics...especially century marks. If they bring that back it would be huge for fleer. Autographics still get very good prices and plenty of them are going up, including older versions.
    CB4
  • Not only is Fleer cutting back on Basketball but they are also getting out of Hockey altogether.Fleer is in trouble as they are having a very difficult time with signing alot of the big name players.
    We never bought any boxes of Fleer product,just packs mainly.They never had anything that stood out,really.The card designs were never anything special & the few times I did have to contact them,they had a who cares attitude.
    Some of the baseball & football product they put out was pretty good but there is so much nicer stuff out there at the same or lower price, we usually end up passing on Fleers stuff.Hopefully, they'll survive but they really need to step up with quality & customer service if they have any chance of doing so.
    Bob & CJ
    Dad & Son

! ! UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ! !
    ! ! Greatest Country on Earth ! !
    ! ! FREEDOM IS NOT FREE ! !

WANTS:Nicer Cal Ripken Inserts.
    Also want RCs of current Football-Hockey future stars.

Bobstarvet@aol.com

References:We have traded with many traders on this forum.We can provide list on request.