Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

comng to my rainbow toned registry set

Im surprised I got this one so cheap. cheers, alan mendelson

link to ebay auction

Comments

• Nice snag, Alan.
    Looks like quite the "anchor coin" for your set. Think you can get it to switch holders?!? image
    I bet, it time, you come to appreciate your latest set over your former #1 set! image
    My set, which you helped inspire, will be holdin' on, waitin' for your new endeavor to catch it! image

Big Cheers on that one, Bud! image

Don

Rainbow Proofs and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Don thanks for the kind words. And by the way youve been buying and selling all Washingtons, soon I expect to give you the title of "king of Washington quarters."

Now, regarding the crossover: you raise a good point. Ive already purchased a couple of proof rainbows in NGC slabs and have had them crossed at lower grades. Ive been putting on my PCGS submission forms "cross at any grade" or cross at pr60 minimum, even though these coins had NGC grades of pr66 or pr67. so far, theyve come back one grade lower than the NGC grade which is about par these days.

I will submit this coin the same way -- as cross at any grade or cross at pr60 minimum -- and will happily add it to my registry rainbow set.

However, there is ONE EXCEPTION. And that is this: when I get the coin and the coin is NOT an attractive rainbow coin (for the price I paid) I will either return it OR keep it in its NGC slab and perhaps resell it down the road.

Of course, what Im hoping for is a delightful rainbow coin that I will cross into a PCGS slab -- and hopefully as a pr66 -- and a nice "anchor" coin (as you put it) for my new registry set.

This past week I snagged two other coins besides the 1936 that I will also be adding to my rainbow registry set soon (one requires a crossover as it's another NGC coin).

cheers and best, alan mendelson
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Alan,

Looks like a great coin, and I bet the toning is more evident than the picture reveals. Looks like it has very attractive green color mixed with the orange. Of course, I don't want to get your hopes too high, but if you believe in the coin, don't give up on a crossover after a try or two. Persistence may pay off. Good luck!
    Strat -- thanks. Are you suggesting that I try (several times if necessary) for a PR66 cross?? My original plan is to have it crossed even at a lower grade with only one submission.

Or, are you suggesting that it might not cross under any circumstance??

cheers, alan mendelson
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Alan, I can't make any sort of determination without seeing the coin. However from the EBay link, I can tell the coin has attractive toning and nice eye appeal, and that can always help a coin's grade. Since you know proof quarters, what I'm suggesting is that if you grade the coin a PR66, if it is hairline free and if it is a crossover candidate, you try several times before settling for a lower grade. In other words, if the coin is 'all there', be persistent. And be patient.
  • Alan, way to go! Looks like another nice addition for your set.
    Congratulations.

Dave image
    Love those toned Washingtons
    The coin has arrived and not only am I thrilled but Im just blown away. It has vivid rainbows at the top and bottom of the obv though minimal toning on the reverse. The obv colors are rich and bold and BRIGHT blue, blue-freen, red and rose and except for the rainbows the coin is white with a hint of rose toning (unlike the ebay scan which shows too much dark coloring -- this coin is not dark at all), with clear and reflective fields. I dont see anything that would make me doubt it is indeed a proof-66 though Ive learned not to second-guess PCGS graders, so heaven knows what this coin will cross at. But the coloring and toning is so magnificent, and the coin appears so clean (for a 1936 proof) that if you asked me it deserves at least a pr66 grade and maybe a pr67 if there is extra credit for great color.

it is definitely a keeper and maybe the best silver proof washington I ever bought. certainly a cornerstone for my new set.

It is going into the mail in the next couple of days. cheers, and thanks alan mendelson
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. It's always a joy when the coin arrives and it's BETTER than expected.
    -Looks like you've got a real winner there- beauty and rarity all in one package.

peacockcoins