Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

FB - congrats on ebay's NM 1971 set

WOW,

I was guessing 5K on that one, so I wasn't too far off......I would have loved to bid, and thought about it, but I knew the final numbers would be bigger than my complete set budget would allow.

Again, congrats on that super-tough monster.

BOTR

Comments

• Options
    Frank - Very Nice! Are you in this for the long haul...to build that holy grail of a 71' set ? Whats the plan? seems like an awsome lot from description. Best of Luck!
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Well...

I was workin on the wife for 3 days on this set. And in the end, I wore her down...image

"Ya know... Its much more cost effective to buy in bulk than it is one card at a time...."

"Look - that last REALLY nice 71 set that I bid on went for $3500 and didn't have any graded cards!
    This one has all the "big dogs" except for the Rose(PSA 7) in PSA 8!"

"Remember when I broke up the 72 set from December? I upgraded my set AND made money...."

"Wow... look how much 1971 PSA 8 commons are going for on eBay!!!"

I've been accumulating high end 71's for a few months, so its time to start gearing up for submissions. This set has scared me for some time with its difficulty, but I can't have a run from 67 to 72 without it! I figure as long as I do my own submitting, I can keep the costs down. Plus, its one of the few sets where you can actually break even on PSA 7's. So, I'll start seeing what progress I can make on it over the next few months!

Oh... and if it had gone to $5200 - it would still be mine...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank,

It was a BIG chunk of change but I believe you bought in at a great price! Nice batch of stars especially the Munson which can give you fits trying to win on its own. Best of luck again; it will be a fun challenge I am sure.

By the way; you have made some nice movement on those 69's of late. Keep it up!

RayB69Topps
  • Options
    FB- Welcome to the black pit known as 1971 Topps Baseball. Good luck on the set. Get in touch with Keith Abrams (Andiehaley on Ebay and these boards). He knows the set like the back of his hand and always seems to have some nice 8's available.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well FB, you topped me on that one. Congrats and good luck with it. I didn't want to go much over $4500 because the 7's are a bit soft these days (except for Rose and a few others). Above that price, I figure it would be more economical to upgrade my set by purchasing individual cards. I did email the seller prior to the auction closing and he estimated 60% of the set would grade out 8 or better. He seems like a reliable dealer so you should do okay. I was also making a play on the 1968 set but it didn't seem as strong as the 1971. Now we'll have to see what the Superior Auction 1971 set will go for. It doesn't have the Munson 8 but it does have the Rose in 8 and alot more cards already graded.
  • Options
    John,

I agree - the 68 didn't seem as strong as the 71 - so I picked my poison and went for it. I noticed you're bid near the end and told my wife that I was going to have a talk with you about it....image.

I've been looking for a nice 71 for a while and after losing a truly beautiful one in December, I had to throw down a little harder this time.

Frank - know Keith pretty well from eBay and from hours and hours at Set-Builders table during the Fort Washington Shows. Steve Peckovich is also a great source for 71's and sits next to Keith in Ft. Washington! But, I think that I'll go the same way as I did for my 72 set and try to do as many submissions on my own as I can and fill in cards that I need later on. I'm in no rush and I tend to keep the cost per card down by finding them myself.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB- Keep me in mind when you want to move any 7's or dupe 8's.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John,

I noticed you're bid near the end and told my wife that I was going to have a talk with you about it....image. >>

I hope I didn't get you put in the doghouse! image

So are you going to try to build the set to the quality of your '72 set?
  • Options
    John,

No way! I have no illusions that putting together a high end 72 set is anywhere close to a similar GPA'd 71 set. If I can put a 71 set together with maybe an 8.10 to 8.15 GPA after a few years of work - I'll be a very happy camper!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    gemint
    If you are looking for a PSA 9 Aaron for your 68 set, please let me know. Marty

All Marty's Stuff
  • Options
    Frank - The more I think about the daunting task of doing a 71' set right the more your winning bid on this lot made sense to me. Again nice play, nice price! Cant wait to watch you build and upgrade that black beauty!
    RayB69Topps