Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Football card prices are strong!

Year, team or player, that is a pretty strong price.
1971 Bradshaw Rookie

Wish I had one!

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Wow ! $ 620.00 is an amazing price for a PSA 8 card from 1971.
    SMR is only $ 225.00, and there's a pop of 217 in 8.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options
    nortynorty Posts: 201
    That is an amazing number. I don't know how many of those cards I've had in really nice coindition but could not give them away.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options

Paying Very Strong Prices For What I Need In 1962 FB PSA 8. imageimage

Contact me at paulorruth@msn.com

--------------------------
    Buying 1956 FB, 1957 FB, 1958 FB and 1962 FB
  • Options
    I agree that football prices are strong. I 've been tempted to enter in the realm, but the pricing has kept me on the sidelines so far.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    I keep hoping the high prices will flush out some 1971 Kelloggs football.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Yes, I noticed that Vintage FB has been strong lately. I listed some 1958 Topps Football two nights ago and I never saw such a high level of activity the first 24 hours.
  • Options
    Look at the prices 1955 AA's are bringing right now.

Last night a PSA-9 Nomellini sold for $619. SMR $450

Then a couple weeks ago a PSA-9 Merritt sold for $431 SMR $250 I believe.

Big buck there. Makes me think sometimes of putting my set on the block.

Rob Ruth
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Hey all you Baseball guys, if you have some nice vintage Football cards laying around, send them in to be graded.
    Just did some quick math, and between 1955 and 1965, there have been 487,833 Topps Baseball cards graded,
    and only 54,894 Topps Football cards graded from that same period.

Are vintage Football cards really 8 times rarer than vintage Baseball cards,
    or have folks just not submitted as many for grading ?
    Some of us vintage football card collectors with 'deep pockets' are looking for graded cards to fill our sets ! image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    The gap is nearly as wide on eBay - there are about 6.5 times as many 1950-59 baseball cards listed right now as 1950-59 football, and about 6 times in the 60's.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Those building sets now have a huge advantage. Even with the increased realized auction prices and the renewed interest to collectors , the PSA 7+ cards are undervalued. I am continually seeing new EBAYers bidding on all the sets I collect. Check out the current Superior auction - many of the vintage football cards are now over SMR. Even though the PSA registry has contributed to the strong sales, you have to respect these prices during a poor economy. I think that does make a statement with regards to the future of vintage football.

Raw vintage is now sometimes selling for near SMR prices. It appears that people are assembling these sets in raw and graded format. The total number of cards to complete a set are low, ranging from 49 to 180. The benefits being a set can be obtained within a budget and assembled in less time than a baseball set.

Many of the PSA7/PSA 8 population numbers list in single digit, and there are few cards that have a single PSA 9 grade or it is non-existent . The '50 Bowman and '55 Topps AA sets are the exception, however, supply does not meet demand on these particular sets - they are extremely popular right now.

Maybe there is more quality material than can be submitted, but the submitted ratio between baseball and football appears to pattern itself with production (popularity) of the periods mentioned. Therefore, the population numbers could temporarily low, however, I did not see much high-grade raw material at the last National.

The majority of NFL HOF rookies, from these sets, in PSA 8 can range from $100 to $750. This is an attractive price point for myself and others in comparison to baseball. I think some are referencing the modern cards pricing to the vintage and see it as a much better investment. The heritage sets are also drawing modern collectors into the vintage market.

If you like the baseball issues from the same years, the football issues are just as nice! image

If anyone has any centered PSA 7 or PSA 8/9 '48 Bowman football, please e-mail or PM me.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Looks like I am outbid on all my superior football bids! image

I am surprised that the '33 Red Grange card is so high. I passed on a nice PSA 8 during the last National for just over 2K. The last two Teletrade PSA 8s went for half of this current total.