Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Joey Jay on the Registry?

No offense, but how does Joey Jay...an average [lifetime W-L record 99-91] pitcher of the 50's and 60's...rate not only a basic, but also a master set? Who's next, Whammy Douglas?

Joey Jay Basic Set
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I requested the set several months ago and was told by BJ Friday that it was ready to roll.
    I collect this player along with other players and sets. And I thought thats what makes this hobby so great. We all have different tastes and preferences. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers...jay
  • Options
    ......And since I did request the player, I did register both the Basic & Master. It will probably show on Monday or Tuesday...jay
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Frank,

I'm offended by your statement. Whammy Douglas was one of the greatest pitchers from Carrboro, NC to ever play the game in a Pittsburgh uniform. image

JEB.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    until i notified psa card #406 was missing from
    the 1966 registry!.i have an 8 and know of another.
    i believe 2 or 3 psa 8s exist and none
    higher.the sgc 96 exists but i cant consider
    that higher.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    I can sympathize with qualitycards. I started the Rocky Colavito set many months ago and I am the only registered set to date. I thought Rocky was a fairly popular player. Even I liked him (I grew up in L.A.) as a kid, but apparently the rest of the world is apathetic. I was considering adding a Tommy Davis set and an Ernie Broglio (don't ask) set but I now realize it would be pretty self indulgent. I have mixed emotions on this one. Perhaps they should break the player sets into HOFs and non-HOFs.
    Bill Roberts
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    That's it! I have notified PSA that unless a basic, intermediate and master set of Whammy Douglas is on the registry in 48 hours, I'm converting my entire PSA collection to PRO! image

Whammy!
    Frank

• Options

<< <i>That's it! I have notified PSA that unless a basic, intermediate and master set of Whammy Douglas is on the registry in 48 hours, I'm converting my entire PSA collection to PRO! image

Whammy! >>

Here's my list for the master set. Let me know what you think and we'll get it to BJ right away. The clock is ticking! image

1957 Whammy Douglas Jets Postcards #5
    1958 Whammy Douglas Jets Postcards #6
    1958 Whammy Douglas Topps #306
    1959 Whammy Douglas Topps #431
    1960 Whammy Douglas Seattle Popcorn #3

JEB.
  • Options
    Jeb, I am impressed by your completeness and embarrassed that I only own Whammy's Topps cards. With his stats, I think some retro Topps cards are coming soon!

Whammy's season in the sun
    Frank

• Options
    It does sound contrary that there are non HOF'ers on the registry while many Hall Of Famers aren't on. Its just a matter of the requests. I already had a pile of Joe Jay graded cards on my desk and when I saw that they were taking requests I figured, why not? I never specified Basic or Master, as I agree 1 will be enough.
    And by the way, he wasn't that bad of a player. He made the cover of Sports Illustrated and several other magazines . In '61 & '62 had back to back 21 wins seasons. He also won Game #2 of the '61 World Series, the only game the Reds beat the Yankees. And in '61 finished 5th place ahead of Willie Mays in the MVP voting and behind Clemente.
    So my advice is collect what and who you like, not just the most valuable....jay
  • Options
    Jeff, point taken.image
    Frank

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jay:

Noticed your set -- very nice! I think there have been a bunch of non-HOF sets on the Registry as of late. I just noticed Mickey Lolich, too, joined the Registry. I was kind of thinking to myself that with these less collected players, perhaps there would be less of an interest in both Basic and Master sets -- but whatever works for PSA is fine by me.

If I remember correctly, isn't there some Joey Jay uber-collector out there? I seem to remember some individual as far back as 10-15 years ago advertising weekly in SCD Classifieds as purchasing all Joey Jay material -- uniforms, cards, autographs, contracts, etc. I never knew who that individual was, but always assumed that person had a collection that was unsurpassed when it came to all things Joey Jay.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    SCHMIDTY- Now that you mention it, I also remember those ads. They were usually side by side the Rocky Colavito buy I'm not as devout as those collectors, more or less a casual fan that had most of his regular Topps graded so I figured I'd give it a try. The requests to the registry can easily be mis-used, Imagine someone with an extensive collection like Davalillo, who has a majority of the '50's & '60's Topps cards graded, he could probably request 2000 different player regestries and fill them all in admirably...jay
  • Options

<< <i>The requests to the registry can easily be mis-used, Imagine someone with an extensive collection like Davalillo, who has a majority of the '50's & '60's Topps cards graded, he could probably request 2000 different player regestries and fill them all in admirably...jay >>

Jay,

Don't give him any ideas. The "Best of the Registry" certificates alone would put PSA out of business! image

JEB.
  • Options
    In defense of the Joey Jay set on the registry, he was the first Little Leaguer to make it to the Major Leagues.