Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Dude!!!! Congrats on FINALLY finishing the 67 set!!!!

Dan,

You're a far better man than I!!! I dumped some 5's and 4's in my set to fill those last 5 holes in the 72 set! I'm betting that you're Palmer is a thing of beauty!!!

Oh, and ITS ABOUT FRIKKIN TIME!!!!image

Nice Job!!!!
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    DUDE - Congratulations on a job well done! ...jay
  • Options
    Great job Dan! It's a long time coming. Keep it going! image
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for your thoughtful words and thanks to all who helped me put that set together! I actually started re-building that set in 1990 (in raw form) and then started grading the cards in 1999. I can't imagine trying to start a set like that from scratch today. I still plan on upgrading cards, so this project is far from over. It's a classic set - my all-time favorite!
  • Options
    great job!
    imageimage
  • Options

Yes, congrats!

Yours truly,

Al Worthington (#399)image
  • Options
    Dan,

Your the man, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

PS-Noticed a bunch of you cubs auctions last week...You a fan????

• Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Dan

Great job on this tough set. I am going to it after I finish the 69. I have zero cards right now but I will jump in with both feet this summer. Once again fantastic job!!!

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Dude ....

Needless to say - you're where I want to be - were I hope to be in a year to two....

Can't wait to see the palmer on your registry set site....
    For what it's worth, I have yet to see a palmer I would be happy with and expect this could be my last card as well - and can fully understand that it took sooo long to slip #475 into your setimage
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Dan,

I was wondering when you were going to finally nail the last card. I kept seeing cards that you needed pop up from time to time w/o you bidding.

That's a great set!

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Dude. That's one of my favorite sets and from the year I was born to boot. That's the next set on my list in raw form. Only took you 13 years to complete the set? Sounds like a cinch compared to the 1969 set! image

Are you going to focus more attention on finishing off 1969 set now?
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Congratulations Dan.....job well done! Best of Luck with your upgrades!

It is good to hear that youll be keeping the set and upgrading.

John
  • Options
    Nice job Dan!!! Which set will be your top priority now?

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Congrats Dan.

1968 Topps Pawlus Collection - First to Complete

Interested in Topps Baseball 1968-1975
  • Options
    Thanks again for everyone's kind words. Just to answer a few questions:

GATOR5 - Those Cubs cards are consignment auctions. I've be auctioning off more graded Cubs lots this week ('78 - '80).

sjjs28 - The Palmer is OK but not an outstanding 8. It's closer to a 7 than a 9. I would hope to find a better one in 8 or 9 one of these days. Like you, I try to be very selective regarding the centering and sharpness of the cards. That's the main reason it took so long to complete it, and like I mentioned before, I'm still not done. When I started 13 years ago, I wanted to build a set of strictly razor sharp, dead centered cards and after about six or seven years of building that set, I realized that I had to relax my butt cheeks a little and go for well centered cards and maybe overlook a soft corner or two. There are some cards like the Nottebart and Fryman which are always diamond cut and other tough ones like the Demeter which if you can find within 55/45 both ways, you better jump on it fast.

Wayne and gemint -- I plan to work on my '68 and '69 sets now. I'm 95% complete on the '68 and about 73% on the '69. All of the remaining cards needed are pretty tough to find in high grade, so it may be a good while before I'm done.
  • Options
    image RIGHT ON BUD! Hey Dan, I just sent you a note at your work! Give me a call on my e-mail! Good job on this set I know you love. By the way,how is Noah doing? Did you start him on a card collection yet? I'll bring my daughter's there to show them how to collect and trade up*.Spring texas is not to far from you and as you know Cap't Ahab "Zardoz55now" lives there! LOL
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Great job Dan !

I like the idea of keeping a set once it's complete, with an eye to upgrading.
    Many have said that the joy is in the chase of completing a set, and I agree,
    but until one's vintage set has been completed in PSA 10 ( even if none exist ), it's NOT really done !

After all, the ACTUAL price of a 9 is not what you pay for it,
    it's the difference between what you pay for it, and what you can sell your existing 8 for.

Onward and upward ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Dan,

Congratulations! I know you have made some tough decisions during your quest regarding cards from other years, but your strategy is paying off. I look forward to the final refinement.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dan:

Congratulations on finishing an amazing set! I have always loved the 1967s -- and I know that you have worked hard over the past few years in building your set in a rational way (e.g. usually not overpaying tons of money just to "have" a card). Also -- having known you for a few years now, I am equally sure that the vast majority of examples in your set are well-centered and high-end examples. Though you rarely question PSA's grades or standards, I know that you have a personal higher standard for the sets you are building, often having very well-centered examples. Congratulations on a great accomplishment -- I applaud your efforts and tenacity.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Great job Dan. Any complete set like that is a labor of love and worthy of praise for the effort.
  • Options
    Dude - Great set! You build'em right and with patience. My sincere congratulations! Keep up that outstanding work on those 69's also.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Sorry so late to add my congrats--but I'm only logged in from Home--not quite smart enough to set it up on my laptop or from work. Congrats Dude on finishing up--best of luck with your next endeavor (knowing that you'll always be upgrading)--and looking ahead to A.C.!image
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Dan

Congratulations!

The 67 is a gorgeous set and knowing your eye for quality, why do I get the feeling that it is a blazer?

Good for you!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    On a final note, I went to my spreadsheet where I keep track of all my transaction records for this set. Of the 609 cards in the set, 399 were direct submissions to PSA. The rest were obtained either through purchases or trades. Here's the list of all people along with the number of cards involved that helped make this set possible:

Peter Lalos 25
    Superior 25
    Bauerfan 18
    Joel Gabrelow (trade) 15
    Jim Merrill (trade) 9
    Joel Gabrelow 9
    Jerry Cyncynatus 7
    Stan Bernstein 7
    Levi Bleam 6
    Bill Goodwin 5
    HeavenSent Cards 5
    Cardmerchant 4
    Dan Shannon 4
    DSL 4
    Dan Schatzeder 3
    Mickey's Sportscards 3
    prepay@concentric 3
    Jim Merrill 2
    Joe Delgrippo 2
    Mike Bow (trade) 2
    Mike Machemehl 2
    Paul Cohen 2
    Rick Snyder 2
    Alan Cowart (trade) 1
    Alan Munson 1
    Andy Madec 1
    Antone 1
    Baseballcard Exchange 1
    Bosoxwin 1
    Centerfield Sportscards 1
    D&B Cards 1
    Dom Terranova 1
    ERCards 1
    Eric Sanders (trade) 1
    Fcarry 1
    Grays 1
    Henry Yee 1
    Howard Winter 1
    J & J's Sports 1
    Jay Groat 1
    John Hom 1
    Kenneth Smith 1
    Kevin Statz 1
    Kurtz Cards 1
    Marc Schoenen 1
    Mark Jones 1
    Mark Reynolds 1
    Mark Wingard 1
    Mike Skerbe 1
    MintXPress 1
    Mitch Manfred 1
    Mitch Silverstein 1
    Natex 1
    Neil Knutson 1
    On-The-Mark 1
    Outfield Sportscards 1
    Paul Starks 1
    PSA-Card, NY 1
    Rodney Roberts 1
    Skerbe 2
    SSS2 1
    Steven Borcich 1
    Stuart Krantz 1
    Texasholdem 1
    The Backstop 1
    Thomas Gibbs 1
    Vintage Auctions 1
    VSI 1
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Dude -- that is incredible that 65% of your cards are from personal submissions. Geez Louise! I could not imagine doing that with a 1950s set -- I think about 10% of the cards from my 1955 Bowman set are from personal submissions. Congratulations on an amazing effort.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    image Dan,let's do the Football pool again this year! It's been a few years and that was fun! Ron will be ready and so will I !

no 67 cards from Uncle Zardoz55now? LOL

• Options
    Dan,

Your detail is incredible. The best I could remember is that I bought a card from someone in the u.s. last week on ebay. That's incredible.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Dan,

I would like to add my Congrats as well. Very cool to have all of the scans there also!!!

Kurt