Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Talk about sniping...

Check out the bid history on this 1971 Topps AL ERA Leaders #67 (Palmer) PSA 9 card

The last time I checked, there were 0 bids, and I though I would get it at the opening bid. Boy was I wrong. The first bid was placed ~1 hour prior to the auction end, then 6 different people sniped within the last few minutes (not including me because my bid was not high enough.).

I've never seen this many snipers w/o a regular bidder.

Robert
Looking for:
Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
High grade Redskins (pre 1980)

Comments

• Options
    The sniper programs seem to be locking up the winning bids for everything that I look at these days. no bid is safe until the little reds letters come up saying the bidding is closed. I may have to start using those programse just to keep up with you guys.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    I was one of the many people who bid within the last few minutes. I too thought I might have a chance at slightly more than the opening bid, but the bidding just got silly there at the end. If I remember correctly, another copy sold for roughly $100 less just a few months ago. All I can say is you never can tell how an auction is going to finish, espcially with all the snipers (myself included) out there.
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    RB,

I feel your pain

Jeff,

Thanks for the help, as for keeping up I think you doing just fine.

Matt
  • Options
    Jeff,

I would seriously consider a snipping program... Trust me it will save you money and allow you freedom from your computer as auctions close... You place your bid you forget about it you win some you lose some and you move on....image
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options

<< <i>Trust me it will save you money and allow you freedom from your computer as auctions close... You place your bid you forget about it you win some you lose some and you move on. >>

and it keeps you from getting "caught up"
    in the action! You decide what is the TOP
    price you can pay, you bid it and forget it!

THAT will save you cash (and some buyer's remorse).
    imageimage
  • Options

Then when the auctions over whine of why you cheaped outimage
  • Options
    After 4 years of manual sniping I must admit I'm a bit tired of scheduling my day around being close to a computer (I'm such a loser image). What sniping programs do you guys recommend and where do I find them?
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Why not just put in your max bid and forget about it? Why waste the extra money for a snipe?
    Working on 1962 mid grade Mars Attacks.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>Why not just put in your max bid and forget about it? Why waste the extra money for a snipe? >>

My feelings on this:

1. A lot of ebay bidders place emotional, heat of the moment bids. They get caught up in the chase for a certain item. If they see no bids on an item, they will generally place a lower max bid. If there are 10 bids on an item, they have time to think about how much they want that item.

2. Some bidders will continue to raise their bids due to "personal competitions" with other bidders.

3. Shill bidders (sellers, actually) can incrementally up their bids to your max, forcing you to pay more for the auction.

4. Sniping is fun! image

Has anyone ever sniped auctions other than sports cards? I've done it for some other items and almost always win the auction for one bid increment above the previous high bid. The other bidders don't know what happened. image

What other categories on ebay have a high incidence of sniping? Just curious.

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not just put in your max bid and forget about it? Why waste the extra money for a snipe? >>

because you do not want
    to "tip your hand" to the other bidders
    until the very last second. That way,
    no one else has time to decide to outbid
    you! PLUS many of the services I listed above
    are FREE so why not use them!

imageimage
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    From reading this board, I started using esnipe about a month ago and it is the greatest thing. I used to manually snipe and it stunk sitting by the computer all day. I snipe just about everything that I REALLY want now.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Has anyone ever sniped auctions other than sports cards? I've done it for some other items and almost always win the auction for one bid increment above the previous high bid. The other bidders don't know what happened. image >>

I have, and I actually feel sorry for the current high bidder when I setup my snipe:

"Oh, poor chap, how anxious you must be! Nobody else bidding means that you are the only one! The item is most assuredly yours! So how it pains me to know that as you nervously hit the refresh button in the waning seconds that with only six to go you will see a name other than your own, and be powerless to do anything about it! Accept your defeat. Learn from it. And please don't send me a nasty email telling me how much of an a-hole I am!"
  • Options
    Zeppo or anyone else, contact me if you are interested in some Mars Attacks cards

Here is the link to my registry setMars Attacks cards for sale

Thanks
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Any personal recommendations on the best FREE sniping service? Thanks in advance ...

Robert