Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Walter Payton Player Sets Up

Hi

The Walter Payton Basic and Master Sets are now up.

Jeff
Always looking for high-grade Terry Bradshaw and Steelers cards.

Comments

• Options
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!! The master set is going to be tough, that's for sure.

Jeff,
    Are you planning on doing the master set too? You've been coming along nicely with the basic set.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike:

Yes I'm going to try to complete the Master set. I'm getting a submission ready that should get me over 90% completed on the master set. The tough ones in the master are the 1976 Discs especially the Saga one. The 77 Mexican will be tough too.

I just upgraded my 1981 Topps Red Border Sticker. I've got a PSA 8 if interested.

I also have a bunch of the 80s stickers that I will be sending in too. The 83 stickers (not the inserts) are horrible with the centering. Practically every 83 Sticker Bradshaw and Payton I've seen is OC.

Jeff
  • Options
    The topps Holsum and Stop n Go are tough too, haven't been able to find those so far either. I'll pass on the red border, I have a real nice one ready for submitting. I bought a 83 sticker box and you are right, centering is pathetic. I noticed they deleted a few of the 83 stickers from the set, I wonder why.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike:

The reason some of those stickers aren't showing now is because none are graded by PSA yet.

I did see a 80 Stop N Go set with a very nice Payton in it about a week or two ago and I forgot to bid on it. I guess the only way to get those are to find them in raw form.

Jeff
  • Options
    Meant to say 79 Stop N Go.

Jeff
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    If anyone here is interested, I have a 1976 Topps #148 Payton rookie card available that is graded NM-MT 8. Please PM me with any offers, thanks.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Doing a little research here, since I'm pretty new to the board, and this is the favorite subject area in my collection, even over the Kelloggs sets.

First, let me thank you groundbreakers for getting the Payton Master set rolling. It's been a labor of fun trying to locate all the items, let alone in high grade. Just 1 submission shy now of completing the set, although I'll have a way to go to be satisfied with it. Several yet to upgrade.

As far as difficulty, I think your assessments from 2003 are still very accurate. Finding the Saga disc, Holsum and high grade Mexicans took a lot of looking and some luck. STILL can't find a decent Mexican Rushing Leaders card ANYWHERE. A PSA 2 isn't going to cut it. The Stop n Go was only slightly less difficult, but finally found a couple of mint copies. And the 1983 sticker is still a bear to find centered.

I'm not sure what all has been added since 2003, but some other tough finds are most of the Fleer Team Action cards, the 1985 Immortals, and most of all, the box bottom cards from 1985-1987. I've finally found a couple of each of the latter to submit, but high quality versions will take some doing.

In this pursuit, I've located at least 4-5 more Fleer TA cards, 4 more stickers (1983 #3 &4, 1986 #1 & 2), the 1979 NFLPA pennant sticker, the 1986 DairyPak and 1986 Jeno's Pizza to add soon. Not to mention the possibility of adding up to 7 more 1986 McDonald's cards if they elect to allow all 4 color versions of both the All Star and Bears team sets.

Should be a fun set to continue to build/improve upon. I'd love to continue the discussion if/when you all get the time.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    I've got an extra 1976 Crane Payton Disc PSA 9, if anyone wants to make an offer, feel free to e-mail me. I've also got a few NM raw ones, and 2 more at PSA being graded right now ... they should get at least 9's.

If anyone has an extra 1976 Payton Saga Disc in Nm or better shape, please let me know.

Thanks

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options