Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc Folks. Another Favorite Date for Opinions.

Man you guys/gals have Me gun shy. I'm questioning the Grading skills I thought I had. image Any way here is a 26D that I saw and bought. The strike is what I really like on this coin. Pretty darn nice for a 26D IMO. This is PCGS graded so if you want to take a guess you can. Then to see the grade just right click the Image and it is in the File name.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    I looked at the grade, but the only thing I can see on the coin that gives it that grade is the chatter ion the cheek, and the few hits in the field. The reverse seems to so close to full band and the strike is all there. nice coin.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soooo hard to tell by a scan,looks Ef/Au,to many dings on the obverse.Al
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto what AL said on this one. It is a good strike for 26-D thought.

Jon
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-50 at best Ken..........

Marc
  • Options
    Ken , I'd say its a good 58.

Walt

Dennis, I havent seen you on the other side yet . image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a little better picture of the coin, I think. Dennis mentioned the chatter on the cheek. Actually that is a little toned spot that does have a couple of small marks. What did this dime in is directly above that spot. A fairly obvious luster break is seen and a couple of spots on her hair have luster breaks. Thus the 58 grade it got. If this coin was not in a slab many would grade it 63 FB and get away with doing so. Viewing this coin in Bad Light would make this possible.

Ken
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some really nice mercury dimes in AU58 holders. Sure look unc to me but then what do I know?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat it took me a few minutes to see the problem with this dime. A few years ago I never would have seen the problem at all. Having coins in other slabs so that you can compare them really helps IMO. A single coin by itself, like this one, is a tough situation to get the grade correct. The reverse on this is 64 atleast.

Ken