Home Q & A Forum
Options

Are Gold Coins Graded Differently Than Silver Coins

I recently attended a seminar on gold coins. We got to look at hundreds of gold coins many graded by PCGS. It seems to me that grade for grade that gold coins had more scratches and rub then is typical for a same grade silver coin. The instuctor indicated that since gold is softer it normally gets more dings and scratches, and so is universally graded easier than silver. Do you concur with this view at least as far as PCGS grading goes?

Greg

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Greg...This is a good question that I really haven't thought about before. It is definitely true that gold is the softest metal that is used for coins and gold coins pick up marks very easily. I do believe that the basic standards are the same. Two similar design and size coins I can think of are the Morgan dollar and $20 Liberty. I feel that marks-wise a 64 or 65 Morgan looks very similar to a 64 or 65 $20 Lib.
    I think conceptually gold and silver grading standards are the same. I might be wrong...perhaps you could start a thread and get other people's opinion.

David