Home Q & A Forum
Options

Number of PCGS Graders

wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
I see from reading your recent correspondence that the number of graders that view each coin can range from 2 (in the case of the modern service) to "up to 6" (in the case of the walk-thru service).

Is there some logic behind these numbers or is it a situation where the amount of "looks" provided correlates to the grading fee. For instance, do you feel certain types of coins require more graders to be accurately graded while others don't need as many? I understand from one of your prior answers that certain series are harder to grade but for the most part, that is not how the service levels are divided. How about pre-1965 vs. post-1965, gold vs. non-gold, under $3,000 vs. over $3,000, and the other items that distinguish PCGS's service levels and thus the number of graders.

From the submitter's viewpoint, is it better to have fewer or more graders looking at our submissions or does it not matter at all? Can you think of a situation(s) where it would be prudent (other than turn around time) for a submitter to elect a more expensive submission level (e.g, sending a modern through Express Special) in order to have more graders involved in the grading process? Of course, I'm sure PCGS wouldn't mind that at all!

Thanks,

WH

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Wayne...great question.

In the past 17 years and after doing nearly 8 million coins, we've tried a lot of different ways of grading coins. And we've tested and compared results in dozens of ways. The goal is always to do the best job for our customers while maintaining the integrity of the PCGS grading standard.

The number of graders viewing a coin is very important. Our current approach recognizes that the following...

1. Some coins are easier to grade than others. Modern coins are easy to grade. Having too many eyes look at them would simply slow down the speed at which your coins are returned to you. Earlier coins need more eyes.

2. Some coins are more valuable than others. So while we have cetain numbers of graders for certain types of coins, we also have a "double verification" system that re-checks expensive coins.

Re the submitters point of view, I believe the submitter is best served by having the number of graders look at the coin that provides the most accurate grade without slowing down submissions. I think what we are doing now accomplishes this. But we will always test new ways and we will always internally measure results.