Home PSA Set Registry Forum

MIKE MUNCHAK PSA 9 ROOKIE Sold for $80.00 WOW

I saw recently that a 1985 Topps M. Munchak PSA 9 1/2 sold for almost $80.00. Here's the Auction link I have the other PSA 9. That makes it very tempting to sell.

Hey at that price I could buy a few 1972 FB PSA 9's Hmmmmmmimage

Carlos

Comments

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Well, considering it was the only PSA 9 RC of a HOFer in circulation maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but you could get any other card in the set for less than $80 - Moon RC, Ellard RC, Fryar RC, Elway 2nd year, Marino 2nd year, Montana, etc.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    4SharpCorners has done quite well with the mid-80s football PSA submissions. Their early submissions allow them to obtain and offer many low-population PSA 9s10s for initial sale. They must open large amounts of vending?
  • RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I guarantee the bidder thought he was buying the Moon card.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    The bidder "tigerfan1947" will pay a good price if she wants it.....I've sold to her before.......by the way, she also bought the moon card 1985 Moon PSA 9
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • OUCH!! That's alot of cash for a Munchak rookie. I think I'll submit one and pay $6-7 instead!!image There has been some really high bids lately on mid 80's football, it's been very interesting to watch. If dealers start submitting alot of 80's the prices should come down to earth. Personally, I'll wait.

Carkim,
    YOU have the other MUNCHAK!!!! You've been holding out on me!!!image

Mike
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    allanallen,
    i would be interested in any of the dickerson's from 85 in psa 9. email me if you have any.

john
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • People forget that this set is approaching 20 years old. Add in black borders and low pop and you get high prices. Prices will come down as pops go up. As was written in a another thread, 84 to 86 football is the next untapped area to submit to get premium prices. Especially 85 and 86.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • tough call on whether the 85 FB cards will maintain their current crazy levels. on the one hand, the set has a lot going for it, as others have noted: the set is now almost 20 years old, not as overproduced as cards a few years younger were, and has those 1971-esque black borders. i think it will always be a set that commands decent money for 9s and 10s.

but i think the outrageous prices for the non-superstars will soften dramatically as more people see the high prices and send their cards in, resulting in a much higher supply.
  • carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I decided to sell my Munchak........Auction

Let's see if this was a flukeimage
  • Wow,

I don't even know who Munchak is/was and I'm tempted to bid. image

Ian
  • Warren Moon (R) PSA 10 just sold on EBAY for 475.00.....25.00 below SMR. POP is only 8 out of over 900 graded. I think I would rather spend 500.00 on a Moon PSA 10 than 80-100 for common PSA 9's....no offense intended whatsoever.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Munchak is a Hall of Famer, elected in 2001. I wouldn't consider that a common card...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • You are right, not a common. But the Becektt list price is .50 cents for the raw munchak, pretty close to a common, right? 80.00 would be 160x Beckett for a PSA 9, the Moon (R) sold for $475.00 which is 32x Beckett, and that was for a PSA 10.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    From my experience, the Beckett RAW prices rarely if ever parallel PSA graded prices. If anything, the "Beckett" price will give you a false reading on what the cards will sell for PSA graded, causing you to either overpay or think the card is WAY overpriced.

Don't get me wrong, I think $80 for a PSA 9 Munchak is way overpriced and would never even pay $40 for a PSA 9 Munchak. Also think that $475 for a PSA 10 Moon is a descent deal.

My only point was that it is not a common card. I would venture to say you could probably get only $10-$20 for PSA 9 1985 Commons. His cards will go higher because he is a Hall of Famer, and at this point, the POP on ANY of his cards is still low. I would think around $30-$35 is the right price for a PSA 9 Munchak. The PSA 9 Moons' are fairly undervalued at $50, but I think that has alot to do with the high POP and also the fact that some consider his CFL card his TRUE rookie. Once Moon gets in the Hall, I would think that $65-$70 will be the base price for a PSA 9 Moon.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • rw2winrw2win Posts: 557

<< <i>As was written in a another thread, 84 to 86 football is the next untapped area to submit to get premium prices. Especially 85 and 86. >>

I agree.

A 1984 Bradshaw went for $149.95 a few weeks ago!
    1984 Bradshaw - His last card

The day before an Elway rookie closed at the same price.
  • 150 BUCKS FOR A 1984 BRADSHAW???? you can get a marino or elway rook for that. the only reason its 1/3 is cause im sure very few have been graded. i feel sorry for the buyer on this one

by the way 4 sharp corners has a great idea with getting the mid 80's football graded. theyre making a killing