Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1990 Leaf: Popular set

I've noticed that not only are their quite a number of 1990 Leaf PSA 10 baseball cards hitting Ebay in the past few months -- but there seems to be a lot of activity on many of those cards, including the commons. It looks like there are quite a few collectors out there who are interested in grading out this entire set in PSA 9 or better.

Kind of surprised to see this -- althrough it is a nice set overall. Good luck if you're working on it. I think there is one set on the Registry that is already over 50% complete in PSA 10 (for a 527 card set, to boot!)

MS
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    For modern collectors this set is considered a "landmark" issue. 90 Leaf was Donruss' first premium set and the answer to UpperDeck's premiere issue. The issue is very clean with sharp photography. It is also one of the few issues from 88-94 that wasn't overproduced.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I posted a couple of weeks ago how I was amazed on how much the 1990 Leaf PSA 10 commons were going for. There are a couple of guys who REALLY like this set. Ive seen cards like a Steve Bedrosian PSA 10 go for $30.00.

John
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I guess it's time to dig through those old boxes and screen some commons. The guy with the 50%+ PSA 10 set also has several vintage sets at 8.00+ and high %'s.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

I have found that the 90 Leaf and the 92 Bowman sets tend to grade very high.I have had very good results with grading these two sets.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've been looking at this set for a while and I think a happy medium in the market has been set by the one guy building the set in 10s, and the dealers who submit large amounts of them. The buyer seems content to buy the commons he needs at $29.99 without much competition and the sellers are content to sell them at that price. If he already has that player, prices seem to range from $20 to $30. At 528 cards, straight 10 is pretty impressive, even if it is a recent set that had consistently good production.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    At $30.00 across the board...thats $15,840.00 for the set!!

How much do mint raw sets go for?

John
  • Options
    I bought my raw set at $175 a few months ago. The Sosa graded 10 and it isn't really any nicer than the rest of the cards. So I guess I "saved" about $15,500 buying a raw set. If the guy wants to build a PSA 10 leaf set, more power to him but I could think of better ways to spend 15 grand.

Troy
    Always looking for pre 1990 rookies and stars, pre 1970 baseball (all) and HOF game used.

tradelist
  • Options
    Even if I could get $30 for a PSA-10, I don't think it would work to send in at $6-7 each.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if I could get $30 for a PSA-10, I don't think it would work to send in at $6-7 each.

bruce >>

That's exactly why I happily buy 1989 Score Football PSA 10 commons for $20. I have boxes of mint commons, but 10's are too hit-or-miss.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    AllenAllen- Do you have any extra 89 Score Football commons? Either 9's or 10's? Email me at FFMAZZ@AOL.COM
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    Brucemo, I agree with you. That is why PSA needs to have a pre-grade program a la GAI.

At .25/card raw cost + $6./card submission cost and with PSA 10 value of $30. and PSA 9 value unchanged from raw, it would take 21% (100-card submission as example) PSA 10 results to justify buying raw vs. already graded.

Above example at $7./card and it would take 24% PSA 10 results to justify cost

Above example with $3./card pre-grade cost and $3./card encapsulation fee (which is the present GAI service), it would only take 11% PSA 10 result rate.

Above example with $5./card encapsulation fee would still only take 13% PSA 10 result rate.

And even with $3./card pre-grade cost and $10./card encapsulation fee, it would only take 16% PSA 10 result rate.

With higher pre-grade cost of lets say $5./card and $5. encapsulation fee, it would take 21% PSA 10 results which works out about the same as the $6./card submission rate, only instead of 79 PSA 9's or less, you would have 79 raw cards that you could resubmit or sell.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I noticed the 1990 a few weeks ago. I thought about diving into it to make a few bucks except there isn't enough people making the set to retreive your money from the 9's. You would have to hit mostly 10's to make that profitable. That's too tough to do.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

How about this one. Seller just recouped entire set price! It makes me scratch my head, even for a player collector to go this high.

5 bidder's $30+image
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    Got the Griffey for free. I need to start getting some modern commons graded.
    Always looking for pre 1990 rookies and stars, pre 1970 baseball (all) and HOF game used.

tradelist
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Do people forget that there is still a million of those Abbott's laying around? Some people must hate having money in their pocket, must make them itch or something.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I have seen rare Jim Abotts sell for big money. The guy is a major hero to many people, and he should be.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I see that PSA 10 commons are going for $15 or less on some and that raw sets can be had for less than $50.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol bored Kirk?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Currently, there are 2 guys with 100% of set in PSA 10. Additionally, one of them as a second set 100% complete, with average grade 9.905.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I think it is amazing how many high grade sets have popped up since this thread was started almost 6 years ago. Just goes to show what a little time, effort, dedication, and $$$ can do.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Bored?? Maybe??

I see that there are even some PSA 10s going off Ebay for $10 a piece. I was think about doing a partial graded/raw set.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol I said that because this thread is 5 yrs. old.

Steve
    Good for you.