Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Jason Sehorn gawnnnnnnn........................

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Jason Sehorn was released by the New York Giants on Friday after the veteran cornerback refused to accept a pay cut of more than $3 million for next season.

With a $4.3 million salary scheduled this season and a $1 million roster bonus due on March 10, Sehorn's status had been in question since the 31-year-old lost his starting job to second-year pro Will Peterson last season.

Sehorn and the Giants had talks in recent weeks about reducing his salary this season to $1 million, but the Giants refused to guarantee that the nine-year veteran would not be cut before training camp.

Sehorn's agent, Kyle Rote Jr., did not return two telephone calls left at his office by The Associated Press. Sehorn was traveling Friday and he planned to issue a comment Saturday, the Giants said.

"Jason Sehorn had some magical moments with the Giants," general manager Ernie Accorsi said, "particularly during the 2000 postseason run to the Super Bowl. We wish him well."

Sehorn scored on a spectacular 32-yard interception return in a 2000 playoff game against the Eagles, a play in which he tipped the ball while diving, caught it and then got up and ran into the end zone. He also returned an onside kick for a TD that season.

"The interception he made against Philly in the 2000 playoffs will always stand as one of the greatest individual athletic plays I have ever seen," head coach Jim Fassel said. "All good things come to an end, and I wish Jason nothing but the best."

In making the move now, Sehorn will count $8 million against New York's salary cap this season, but he will be off the cap next year.

Sehorn had three years remaining on a six-year deal that included a $10 million signing bonus.

In recent weeks, Sehorn had offered to move to safety with Peterson and Will Allen entrenched as the Giants cornerbacks.

However, he also understood that his days with the Giants might be numbered.

"If they don't work out or if some things happen and they are not willing to do these thing, well, I won't be the first person fired in America and I can find other work because there are thirty-one other teams," Sehorn said in a February interview with Sporting News Radio. "I realize that you put all personal issues aside because it's a business."

A former second-round draft pick out of Southern California in 1994, Sehorn was transformed from an average safety into one of the league's top cover cornerbacks.

He had 11 interceptions combined in 1996 and '97, but his career turned when he suffered a serious knee injury in the preseason and missed the 1998 season.

Last season was the only other time he had played in every game, but he started only five games.

Sehorn led the Giants with 14 passes defended, tied Peterson and Shaun Williams for the team lead with two interceptions (including a 31-yard touchdown at St. Louis) and had 42 solo tackles and 10 assists.

Sehorn's best season might have been 1997. He started all 16 games for the only time in his career. He had a career-high six interceptions, plus 86 total tackles and 20 passes defensed.

He was twice named NFC Defensive Player of the Week and December's NFC Defensive Player of the Month as he helped lead the Giants to the NFC East Championship.

Tha Finger ... Tha Stunner ... Tha Legend.

Comments

• He is the most over rated player in the NFL ever
    My E-Bay Auctions

Glenn Robinson Auto Collection 7/21
  • cardnyoucardnyou Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭
    not hardly...that title belongs to Quincy Carter image

• Come on no way can quincy take this from jason.
    My E-Bay Auctions

Glenn Robinson Auto Collection 7/21
  • cardnyoucardnyou Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭
    its officail folks...Quincy has taken the title !!!

• 8kobe8kobe Posts: 1,159
    all i have to say is that if I was him I would retire and spend all my time with his chick. Cause she is fine. Who cares about football image
    Interested in Kobe Bryant, Game Used, Rare Inserts, Rookies, and Autos.
    References: Derrick(3),Teletubbie, MT Grinch, Kenny21, Awaltz, 2323, sypako, hondo, CoryZbinden(2)biggjc, boopopo2, Cardnyou, nismo68, Speedmaster, Baljit and more

Owner of the longest actual word in the "One word Post"