Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Posse, Part 2

First I would like to thank all of the members who posted last night and today. I/we got alot of great feedback.

As far as the Posse is concerned, here is what I know so far. It will be a non-profit organization. The website www.stopcoinfraud.org has been reserved. That much we know from the COIN WORLD article last week.

Many of you stated that the doctoring must be stopped at the grading service level. Others said that education for the coin buying public was another way. All this should be taken into consideration.

As a wholesaler and submitter to both PCGS and NGC, I would be more than happy to support this via my submissions. Perhaps an extra dollar per coin collected and sent to the Posse would help. Wouldn't kill me, but it would add up to quite a bit at year end for the CAUSE.

The money collected could be used for a variety of things. Legal expenses for going after the coin doctors. Removing from the market doctored coins that may have been holdered. Financing public education with regard to unethical and illegal methods found in our industry. These are just a few that come to mind.

We could enlist the help of the retailer too. Membership and support for the CAUSE would ultimately help them. After all they are the conduit to the retail buyer.

I not saying that this is their mission, only some ideas. It won't be easy. In fact it will be difficult, very difficult. But I think we have no other choice.

As always, I welcome your comments, positive or negative.

njcoincrank
www.numismaticamericana.com

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, please go to your "Profile" and turn on your PM.

Edited to say "Thanks, Bill."
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Andy ole' Chap

Done
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It will be a tough job and the posse members will take a lot of criticism,

as big toes might be stepped on. But give it your best, thats all the members of the posse

can do. You have our support and best wishes for the long road ahead. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    NJ -- I am an attorney and have posted to your thread as well as other regarding the legalities of "going after the coin doctors." I would love to hear more from one of your legal eagles as to how the Posse might just possibly utilize civil or criminal laws of various states/US govt. to stop coin doctors directly.

Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned there really hasn't been much substance provided as to the master plan of this group.

As Shakespeare so eloquently titled his play, it seems to be -- "Much Ado About Nothing"

Michael

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Michael, shame on you.!

When there is more specific information available to share, it will be provided. And, I would expect that a lot of the work will go on behind the scenes, too. Why let the coin doctors/"persons of interest" know all of our secrets? image
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Will somebody please invent "the better coin doctor trap ". image):
  • Options
    Mark

I'm not trying to discount what the Posse is trying to do. I believe it is a great undertaking and one that I support. But, I haven't heard anyone step up and say here's how we're going to do it. Maybe I'm just a realist, but I haven't seen/heard/read anything of substance being put forth. I would like to know how this goal will be accomplished as I am sure others are also interested.

But, alas, methinks I shall wait til dew on yonder trees dries in the glow of the morning sun, warming the hearts and souls of those that are more respect'd to receive my reply. Lest, we make those vulgar enemies aware of the poison cup pressed on thy lips . (Sorry had to follow up with some more Shakespeare)

Michael
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will somebody please invent "the better coin doctor trap ".

So you can buy doctored coins at lower prices? So you have the privilege of paying more for undoctored coins? Never underestimate the market!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    njcoincrank suggests we donate $$ or dealers donate $$, just a $1 from every coin submitted. I am unclear on what exactly he is saying.
    Some of the bigger dealers have told us very clearly that we were stupid and it's none of our business because the dealers are going to handle it themselves and that John Alabanese has dealers with unlimited knowledge, lawyer & financial resources.
    The dealers tell us you already know who the doctors are because you deal with them all the time so GOGETTUM!!!
    edited to say "you" meaning you dealers not specifically njcoincrank.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Bill, bad idea to mention donations! Sorry.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now all we need to find are a few loyal anti coin-doctor antagonists who won't take a buck and look the other way.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First I would like to thank all of the members who posted last night and today. I/we got alot of great feedback.

As far as the Posse is concerned, here is what I know so far. It will be a non-profit organization. The website www.stopcoinfraud.org has been reserved. That much we know from the COIN WORLD article last week.

Many of you stated that the doctoring must be stopped at the grading service level. Others said that education for the coin buying public was another way. All this should be taken into consideration. >>

website looks good! i like the updates

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file