Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Collector Math: Lesson 1

If you buy a coin for $100 and sell it for $80, you've lost $20.

However, if you buy a coin for $100, and then later see a better one for $120, you can trade the old one PLUS kick in $40 for the new one and obtain a really good coin for just $40. See? Its a little like how banks increase the money supply that we learned in first year economics.

Now, if you take your $120 coin, keep it for 3 years and then decide to place it in an auction, and it hammers for $125, you have just made $5 on the coin, because of course the sellers fee and all related mailing and insurance costs are considered 'money I would have blown anyway, and besides we just won't eat out as often this month' and you don't worry about those.

This is also true for any fees or costs incurred having a coin graded. If you spend $400 repeatedly cracking out an 1884-CC dollar to get in into an MS-63 holder, you don't consider this part of the acquisition cost of the coin. Rather this is considered 'money that just isn't there anymore'.

Now, if you do buy a coin for $100, and ultimately sell it outright for $450 later that day, this is considered a huge windfall which must then be used to immediately buy 7 new coins all of which will fall into a category I like to call 'crap that is extremely overpriced'.

In lesson 2 I'll cover 'hiding receipts from your wife' and 'the layaway plan: an excellent way to buy something you can't possibly afford'.
Singapore

Comments

• Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    I like the last paragraph.

Brian.
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageThe math is confusing but I agree that by your figures trends mess it all up. If you stay with low mintages and rare ones it will all work out. The downside is most married men die before their wives, so if you hide invoices, sales reciepts, etc. make sure you have a good inventory system and an emergency number she can call to cash out your collection. Those round the world cruises are expensive!!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Singapore, ......shut up! My wife reads the boards sometimes. LOL
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    My standard response to "When did you buy that?" is "I didn't, I did a deal" What I don't tell her is that the deal is I only tell you the truth if I have to or if I need practice.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I use a modified version of the Singapore method.
    I don't count shipping, eBay fees, PayPal fees and all that in my total cost. That way I think I did good. Sometimes I make a profit that way.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Sounds like Bush-o-nomics.

TRUTH
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I think this is pretty much the most accurate and realistic post about coin collecting that I've ever read (notwithstanding the fact that I was the author).
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thank you teacher. I am awaiting lesson two.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figure everything into the cost of the coin: money orders, postge, insurance, etc because its money I likely would not have spent that way otherwise. Besides if you were a business you would have to. Also if most people didn't care there wouldn't be so much grousing over excessive S&H fees.

<<"The math is confusing but I agree that by your figures trends mess it all up. If you stay with low mintages and rare ones it will all work out. The downside is most married men die before their wives, so if you hide invoices, sales reciepts, etc. make sure you have a good inventory system and an emergency number she can call to cash out your collection. Those round the world cruises are expensive!!">>

The reason that most married men die before their wives is cuz they want to.

• Options
    Hmmm! Which method do you use to report your profits and losses on your tax return? image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    did you work in Enron's accounting dept.?
  • Options
    Hi, Singapore - I have indeed found myself thinking as you've described. It's probably human nature... Good post!

Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file