Home U.S. Coin Forum

Update of my 1892 Proof Morgan THAT PCGS PUT 2 FINGERPRINTS ON WHILE GRADING...........UNHAPPY CUSTO

I sent a 1892 Proof Morgan to be graded to PCGS and it came back with 2 fingerprints on it! I Expressmailed it back to them and they at this time have had it for 3 WEEKS and they have just informed me that it will be quite a awhile longer until it will even be determined if it can be fixed! BTW it is a coin with light yellow proof toning which cannot be dipped.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT PCGS DOES THIS TO COLLECTORS. If one of the big shot submitters sent a coin in like mine and this happened then they would get MUCH better service than I am getting. The rep told me it could be another month until the coin is either fixed or dealt with! If most companies dealt with customer complaints like this they would be out of business!

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

I will probably add more later when I can think straight.

Comments

• littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Just the thought of them in a backroom dipping it or something would scare me!! I think you should file a lawsuit against them if they don't get it right. That might straighten up this crumbling company.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    A very valid complaint. In other industries, customers are smart enough to vote with their money and their feet!! They go to the competitor for future business. image
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    They are probably swamped with work to do. They fixed my coins in a few days (and Charlie even apologized it took so long) a few months back.

The good news is that they did good work and the coins were back to original looking. image
    So, let's see here, David Hall is speaking out against NCS and what they're doing to coins, yet PCGS is basically doing the same thing, but just not as an available service. Wow, even more hypocrisy from PCGS land.image

-Laura Swenson

• Exactly what I was trying to get started in my post early today, seems to have fallen by the wayside. Think I will keep ttt till someone responds to it.

Sorry about your coin.image

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • jbsteven I know where you are coming from. PCGS has had 4 of my coins since 23 Dec. All the coins
    are moderns and all have problems(over graded). PCGS can't seem to figure out what they want to do
    with them. I say either buy them or replace them, all I get is the run around from customer service. I guess they don't have time for the little guy.image
    USASA
    1966-1971
  • What exactly is "fixing" the coin? To me that implies that the coin is no longer original or "doctored" and I would demand nothing other than listed price to replace the coin. Perhaps, since it was toned, more than listed price since this type of coin are currently commanding premiums. Coins are not cars and shouldn't just be "fixed". I would like see what would happen if someone sent in an expensive example of classic art to be appraised and while being appraised got something spilt on it.
    I am happy to say that I don't submit coins and would certainly think twice about sending it to certain grading companies due the current light being shed.
    -Aaron
  • CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    jbsteven.......you know, that is a real shame. i bet your heart sank when you saw the fingerprint. and its lightly tone , so if it gets dipped, it will completely change the eye appeal that iam sure you liked. i feel for you.....what a shame.......tell pcgs they are going to buy the coin. why should you take the loss now that your proof is ruined, as you know , nobody will want it with the finger print, and do you want a dipped proof?......image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you find a coin of equal technical merits that you feel has the most amazing eye appeal... nice toning, good strike, whatever...

Tell PCGS that for screwing you of your coin, they will pay for that coin, even if it is double or triple sheet. Don't take No for an answer, because they failed with their part of the agreement to certify your coin properly, and as a result ruined a piece of history.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Classics

Not only that but if we submit a coin that's been dipped it gets bodybagged, so why is this acceptable for PCGS to do it if that's what they do?

Erik
  • jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    This is the BAD side of PCGS/HOMERUNHALL. PCGS is eager to jump into a dispute wiuth Legend where the argument is purely subjective and odds are they will win that sort of debate.

Here a guy has a legitimate beef and PCGS has its thumbs up its rear. If PCGS had some real cajones, they would step up now and offer to fix this problem immediately. I care alot more about this sort of thing than I do whether Legend can "make" a PF66 go PF67. Wrecking coins is an objective reason to switch to NGC. "Making" coins is not (to me).

<< <i>Classics

Not only that but if we submit a coin that's been dipped it gets bodybagged, so why is this acceptable for PCGS to do it if that's what they do? >>

................ i agree.....its not right....for the life of me, why in the hell dont they use gloves on the old proofs?
  • <................ i agree.....its not right....for the life of me, why in the hell dont they use gloves on the old proofs? >

I think someone awhile back said they don't use them for the chance the coin will slip out and might get damaged.So use rubber gloves or wetsuit gloves like the nfl just no stickum.image

Erik
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    <<Here a guy has a legitimate beef and PCGS has its thumbs up its rear. >>

Hmm...if they had their thumbs up their rear and got fingerprints on the coin, then where was the coin?!?!?!!?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    PCGS could simply find out who is doing the fingerprinting. It's like "hello here!!!!!!!!" It's not that hard to take a fingerprint off a coin and find the culprit that is doing this to our poor babies! WAKE UP, PCGS!!!!

-Laura Swenson

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont understand why they were handling your coin with their bare hands.

if they're grading super nice proofs, and gem mint state coins for that matter, do they always use their bare hands??

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i><................ i agree.....its not right....for the life of me, why in the hell dont they use gloves on the old proofs? >

I think someone awhile back said they don't use them for the chance the coin will slip out and might get damaged.So use rubber gloves or wetsuit gloves like the nfl just no stickum.image >>

........true, they said it might slip and fall , hogwash, not if they take a little care, and hold the coin over a soft pad.
    I've been told no gloves are used.

And, yes, you'd think they'd figure out by now whose prints they are.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they send the coins out for fingerprint removal (I don't know where). They send the coins out in groups, and that is why the wiat is so long.

They do not wear gloves! I don't care what the value of the coin; they bare hand every coin (unless they recently changed their processing).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, you could have just the fingertips covered with latex gloves...

Or, the most brilliant idea of all- HAVE THE ENCAPSULATORS WEAR GLOVES... the problem is the graders dropping it... well, they don't push the coin down, possibly with their thumbs...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey PCGS graders KEEP YOUR GO*D*** Grimy fingers off peoples nice coins. Wear some GLOVES already, Fingerprints DAMAGE COINS!!!

does that help at all?

Tyler
    It's almost as if they think wearing gloves is an admission of past fingerprinting bad acts.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not the graders.
    It's the guy in the back room that is overworked and underpaid who is SLABBING your coin.

He's the culprit.

peacockcoins

• TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AL(Copperhead)
    Gotta love them Mercs
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    That's unacceptable! The longer they wait the more the print can set in.
    I echo jamesfsm in caring alot more about this sort of thing than I do whether Legend can "make" a PF66 go PF67. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    dog, james and the others in this post I thank you for seeing my side of this. What I really want to happen is to have David Hall read this thread and pull my coin and fix the problem immediately. He can do that if he wants. submission number 9004628.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It's distressing to hear what happened to your coin - a classic proof, no less! I hope they can restore it to exactly how it was when you sent it in. I know how heartbroken I'd be to get a coin back and see two fingerprints.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would even be worse if Laura was actually talking about trying to make a PR66 make PR67. Of course, many missed the actual point of that thread.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    what's the number on the holder? PF what?

PR63CAM

With the fingerprints it got this grade (unless they magically appeared after grading)
    wow, an 1892 morgan in 63CAM with golden toning, got an image?

sounds like a peach of a coin, even with a priint or two image

• Well come on Mr. Hall. Your post up above this one states we should leave the grading to the professionals. I never had one of those "no-nothing" dealers put finger prints on my coins. They seemed to know how to handle them. Unlike your "Professional gradrs" (Sorry people, that elitest post really frosted my doughnuts!) image
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    It might not have happened from the graders. It could have happened in receiving or the slab area.
    Maybe they have to send it to NCS to get it "fixed" and that takes time image
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I realy feel for you, that's my my submition went the the 477? POBoximageimageimage:
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
    Everybody says that the PCGS bigwigs read this stuff. C'mon and give customer service a priority pin. If you're going to resist crackouts and be "tough" so be it. BUT, customer service (and no fingerprints) are important in a hot, cold, bull, bear, any market. PLEASE pay attention to these issues. It's having coins ruined that turns many toward NGC, not having a coin grade MS65 when we thought it was a 66. I can live with a PQ 65 but not a fingerprinted 66!
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    If you already haven't, you should bring it to homerunhall's attention personally, instead of hoping he reads this thread.

When a customer isn't satisfied, and the so-called customer service department is unresponsive or untimely, it is most appropriate to elevate the problem higher.

David Hall claimed to want to be made aware of this specific issue -- fingerprints on coins at PCGS -- take him at his word!
    Gilbert
    Any updatus on this one?
    nothing new. looks like i get to wait another month for a resolution
  • I really feel sorry for you, and really hope they can fix it. Good luck. I sent in one coin in my life to pcgs a nice deep blue Jefferson. When I got it back , guess what it isn't blue any more . I should have just put it in an airtight.
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageMaybe they can just fess up, and David will give you his "91 Pr66Cam for replacement! That is not a good idea because he doesn't have a picture for it on his site. But don't worry, the print is on the reverse!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file