Home Q & A Forum
Options

Suppose you get an illegal coin

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
Suppose a coin makes its way to PCGS that is illegal to own in some way (stolen property, or, perhaps another example of a 1933 $20 double eagle)- what would PCGS do? Would it go to the local authorities? Possibly the feds if the coin came across state lines? Suppose some big collection was stolen (or even small) and you received notice... would you be on the lookout for submissions that seemed to resemble some/all of the stolen coins? Do you ever receive notice?

Lotsa questions in one image

Jeremy image

Edit based on reply- No, I don't have any from 1964... I might have one from 65... lemme check image
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jeremy...Cool question. We have never had an "illegal" coin submitted. I suppose if we did we'd call our lawyer/collectibles law expert, Armen Vartian, and ask him what we should do. My guess is that he would tell us to either return the coin or report it to the authorities, depending on how clear the Government's position on the coin was.

You wouldn't happen to have a 1964 Peace dollar would you?

David