Home U.S. Coin Forum

Something disturbing at the Long Beach Show

MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
While cruising the floor, I heard a loud cracking noise. Looking around I see a gentleman, sitting on the "buyer's side" of a table, with a stack of GSA Slabbed Morgans and a pair of snips, cracking a Morgan out of it's GSA holder. He would bust off a piece or two, throw the plastic in a paperbag. He then placed it on a stack of other Morgans he obviously had already cracked out. There was shards of plastic scattered around him on the floor. He continued on, slab after slab, pausing only to speak to the dealer there once in a while.

I was dumbfounded that anyone would do this as I thought they would be worth more in the Gov't slabs. Maybe he wanted a roll of CC's but it seemed a rather expensive way to get one.

I didn't want to butt in and ask, but I also couldn't stand to watch, so I just moved on. Any thoughts on why someone would do such a thing?

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Damn, what a dumb-a$$. Totally unbelievable! I would have stopped at his table, grabbed his snips, and slapped him upside his head with a 2by4.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he's an eccentric millionairre who plans to buy slushies at the kwik-e-mart with 'em image
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes no sense to me at all. But the slabbing game is probably why. And NGC even grades these in the Gsa holder now. I bought an NGC graded GSA CC Morgan from that guy from New York, the Carson City King. One with a crescent tone on it, just wanting an example of one. But I look at it this way, the bad part of people breaking them out is prices go up as fewer remain. The good part is the ones we have are getting to be worth more.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Isn't it still the exact same coin outside of the holder as inside the holder? What difference does it make? Other than the fact that the GSA holders are obnoxiously big and difficult to store.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you think all of the high grade CC's came from? Worth much, much more out of a GSA holder if the grade is right.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess some people like myself like to keep them in their gsa holders. Just like a proof sae I like them in their original package (that looks nice) compared to a grading companys slab. I don't understand getting those graded, as I feel most are 68-69 DC, but that's what they like to do and I don't knock it.

I also feel the Gsa cc Morgans hold better value in their original holders.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Once they are out of their GSA holders they are just another Morgan. (yawn)
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • There was a thread on this a while back, Bryan (GSAGUY) pointed out that high grade GSA CC's are actually worth more in the GSA case. There are those that collect GSA CC's and want them in the original case and with more being cracked out, prices are bound to go up even more. I think I'll take his advice.

There was also the debate on having the slabbed coin stamped GSA, most agreed that this meant nothing.
    " I hoard coins, that's what I do, it's my nature"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file