Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seeking Direction

To those of you who read this post in the Registry Forum I appoligize! I am at a crossroads in my collection. I either want to start a Jefferson set or a set of Rossies. Before you give me the "You should collect whatever you like line" I'd just like to say that I really enjoy them both. That is my dillema (or however you spell that word) You get the point!. I'm not looking for a registry set just an old fashion High Quality album set to include proofs. What i'm asking is for the experts to chime in with some good and bad points to each set so that I can make a more informed decision!

Thanks in advance

Chris
"The last thing we want to see is a smoking gun. A gun smokes after it's been fired…. If someone waits for a smoking gun, it's certain we will have waited too long."

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If I were choosing between the two, it would be Jeffersons because you can find so many cool toners. Not as easy with the Roosies.

Russ, NCNE
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert, but I know that you can put together a nice set of either for a reasonable price. Some of the Jeffersons might be tough in Full Steps. Both should be fun and both have enough coins to keep you occupied for a while. Good luck.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • I'm in the process of putting together a Jefferson collection. I prefer this over the Roosies as you are more apt to find most of the Jefferson's in pocket change. Key dates are basically the early Denver Mint coins... which are relatively inexpensive.

Roosies... I've had no problems finding most all 1965->2002's in pocket change. 1964 and prior are more difficult to find in pocket change since they are silver but from time to time I hear that certain jingle in my change which puts a smile on my face. I am starting to collect Roosie's too but my focus is on Jefferson's right now.

-Dave
  • Thanks Guys!

I was thinking about that Russ. I've really got my eye on this Blue 62 proof that one of my local dealers has! It's AMAZING! I ask him everytime I see him what he'll take for it, but it's in his collection. I think i'm about to own it though! image

Chris
    "The last thing we want to see is a smoking gun. A gun smokes after it's been fired…. If someone waits for a smoking gun, it's certain we will have waited too long."
  • sorry... you meant proofs. I'd still go with Jefferson's image
  • I am setting up a set of Roosies at this point. They are undervalued (IMHO), and are nice, little attractive coins. I like Jeffersons, too, but the FS designation makes some of them very much higher in price.

JMHO

• Don't get me wrong, I love toned proof Jeffs, but look at this toned Roosey I just bought:

That is a 1952 NGC PR 68.
  • I would say do both. If you don't need "top pop" coins you can do both sets in MS65-66 for the price of just ONE top pop coin. (see thread on expensive roosie)
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like both sets also and they both have a lot going for them. The nickels come in a wide
    range of qualities and are avidly collected by a substantial number of people. They have
    been one of the most widely collected moderns all along. This makes the nice choice unc
    specimens quite affordable and the very high grade coins very expensive. The dimes have
    never been widely collected and have not been set aside in large numbers. The range of
    quality is nearly as wide but is much smoother and with fewer grades which are difficult to
    locate. All of the coins are fairly available due to mint sets and choice to gem coins tend to
    be highly affordable. If these ever get popular there is more chance of monetary gain. The
    nickels too, though, can be found raw in high grade and offer some prospects of increased
    prices. They both make attractive sets.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file