Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Images of a 1965 SMS Kennedy I picked up recently.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

The obverse on this one has the deepest mirrors I've ever seen on a '65 SMS. Even deeper than the one that is in my set, and it's a damned nice coin. Here's a shot of the obverse showing the reflection of the logo on my business card:

For those who aren't familiar with this coin, it is very rare to find mirrors like this on one of these.

Unfortunately, there are substantial die polish lines just to the right of the portrait on the obverse. The reverse mirrors are not as strong as the obverse, and there's a nasty scratch running from the bottom of the arrows to one of the stars. The coin also has some glue spotting.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    WOW that is a beautiful coin, even with the problems it's still a great coin. did you cherrypick it from a set?
  • Options
    Great mirrors! To bad about the spot and that nasty scratch. image
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    i can see myself in itimage, really nice.image
  • Options

That's shinier than most of the proof coins of that era
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Pretty coin, unfortunate about the problems. But, extended die runs, dumped in bins like circ coinage, etc ... 1965 SMS are a bear in all series ... I consider myself lucky to have made a MS-66 CAM JFK.
  • Options
    Send it to me for proper disposal................Ken
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Most impressive.

You'll look at a lot of sets before you'll find one nicer.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Makes one dream of what might of been, huh. One day, you'll be bleary-eyed from late night sniping when the postman will come bearing a box of unopened 1965 SMS sets. You'll peel open the second set and spy a dcam 65 that looks like an 82. Once you recover from the palpitations, you'll drive it down to Newport Beach, choosing to stay at the Hotel Del (knowing of course that you are soon to be annointed). .......I'll let you choose the ending.image

BTW - What are you doing messing with "MY" 65 sets. You're a 64 man.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, I think it's important for Russ to be distracted once in a while for the sake of the rest of us. Russ, I checked and there are no more '64s worth going after so you can stop looking. If I see one I'll let you know right away. image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    Your most informative post is greatly appreciated, thank you!
    redhott

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file