Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Merc. people...Looks like I upgraded my 35-D...

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I won the Jay Eisenburg 35-D in 65-FB last night. Hope it is as nice as it looks. This will raise my set rate to 66.03. 65.99 was just too close not to go for it.

Jon

Comments

• Jon,
    Please keep us informed, I thought it was a great looking dime! Congrats!!!!!image
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jon & Dennis,

Congratulations Jon, that's a nice dime! I won the Jay Eisenberg 25-P in 65FB, a hole filler for me. Hey you other Merc heads, chime in and let us know what you won in the Heritage auction.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

No Heritage stuff for me.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Hello to everyone.
    well i guess i did pretty well bidding at the LB auctions. I won the 16-d in 66fb in the Superior auction and last nite i won the 23-s in 66fb and the 43-p in 68fb in the Heritage auction. It sure has been an expensive venture but what the hay! the stock market is in the crapper so why not? I hope everyone got something they wanted or needed. Man !!! can anybody spare a few dimes i"m about tapped out. Even more than the beautiful mercs something that really got my attention was the wild bidding on common coins of color. There was 37 antietam in 66 ngc that brought over 10k + juice. this is normally about 900.00 coin . It had toning to die for though. Hope to see some of you guys in Charlotte.

Steve
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Steve:

Its good to see you here. BTW I would Die for that 23S Merc !!

Hi Guys.

Zippo for Me also. Maybe something will happen in the Bullet Auction, or a Web Site. Two Cool coins are still available on Web Sites I have been watching for months. image

According to PM's that have been received there should be some decent Action in the Registry if there has not been already. Some Real Nice Stuff was won be some of the guys.

Take Care.

Ken

• Another zippo for me .... I got outbid with a floor bid on the 35D ms66 Oh well !!

Walt image
  • I did manage to pick up a couple of dimes
    they are listed in my set now
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
    Tim:

Nice stuff !! One of those 28D's was a killer coin I thought. Hope you got it. OK I guess the 24S is nothing to throw mud at either. image

Ken
    Hi Guys,

Congratulations Tim, you bought two really killer heavy weight dimes, a 10 pointer and a 9 pointer, both in FB that filled empty holes. I noticed you moved up a place or two! You bought a couple of great dimes, and made a couple of nice upgrades also I noticed.

Steve,

Ditto Ken. If you ever need an organ transplant, let me know!

Regards,

Wayne

Regards,

Wayne

• Congrats, I'm still waiting for the LB Bullet sale to end to see if I get my upgrades.
  • Hey Tim, Nice additions to your set , especialy the 35D imageimage

Walt image
  • Welcome Steve,
    Super acquisitions!

Nice additions, Guys.
    I'm stuck here for a while, waitin' to "catch" Ken! image

Don

Winged Liberty and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to allimage..Im probaly the only one thats unhappy .I won 18-S MS65FB and a 21-P MS 65 FB.The 21 is ok,but I would swear the 18-S was not the same scan as when I bid??..It looks as if it's full of carbon?Did anyone see it ?.Thanks Al
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kinda depressed......came back from vacation to find out I've been outbid on a number of super Merc's in that Heritage sale. As it is I had bid more than I would have and over book and all. Its interesting how high better Merc's have gotten....frankly I don't believe the sheets or CDN are telling the truth. Dealers buying are probably having a field day.
    I won the 16-S in 65FB & 39-S 65FB, both hole fillers and super examples, for me so I can't be to downimage
    Don't know were that'll take me as competition is getting deadly here. That 16-D Steve picked up is like forgeddabouit. How dare he post so nonchalantly. When I read that my heart almost begged for a pacemakerimage
    Wayne you beat me to that 44-S 67FB last week while I was away too, so don't be so smugimage , I thought I bid high enough for that piece, but nooooo...what was I thinkingimage
    Jon, congrat's on the 35-D image

Marc
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like several of the Merc. heads did good this weekend. Congrates to all.

Jon
  • Great coins guys.....
    Steve, is that the Dan Miller Dime that was at the FUN show in Jan? If so, I checked it out while I was there along with the 65FB they had in the case. The 66fb was a truely nice coin, the other, well I felt was a 64FB, no more.
    Dennis

My Dimes

Hey Marc,

Sorry about that, I kept waiting for you to outbid me, but you see, I know the seller. If he says it is PQ, then it is probably a candidate for an upgrade to 68FB. BTW my 44-S 66FB is now for sale if you are interested. Congrats on the 16-S and 39-S. That 39-S is a real booger. I finally decided to make my own. Have one in to PCGS that should make at least MS65FB if not 66FB.

Regards to all,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• hey Walt,
    I did not know you were looking at the 35-d in 66
    but I do know where a nice one is in 67fb for about 8k
    if you are interested
    Timimageimage
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Tim ,
    I know where it is also, and it can stay there for 8K. LOL I'll be satisfied with a 66fb. Whitlow has a couple of 66 fb but too high. Well I'll get one next time.

Walt image
    Wayne, I don't know, I really stay away from the crack out game, I've come down pretty hard on such folks noting its a silly expensive game. Look, if it shoulda been a 68 chances are it would have by now. Only PCGS makes $ when you do that. I've mentioned before its gambling period. Of course this is for PCGS to PCGS only regrades only. I'm happy enough keeping or buying PQ examples of the given grade I'm buying etc. Most of the pieces in my registry/collection are upper 5-10% for the grade minimum, or I won't buy it. Whenever I sell, if I ever do image, I know we'll get top $ as I balk at anything short of perfection. I knew that 44-S was a gem, and I knew it was upper 5% for the grade......... Nope on the 66, thnks but I'm chasing down another 67FB which I'll probably pick up, but if you do send it in your new 44-S I wish you luck for a 68.

ANyone know what a 45 in 68 is worth???? not FB! but I believe 1/0 !!

I saw an 18-S 66FB for 13-14K , boy what a beauty !!!

Marc

Marc,

I don't think there is a 68 45P unless one was made in the last few days. There are 78 in 67 with none higher.

Jon
  • Dennis,
    I'm not sure where this 66 came from. There was nothing mentioned in the description of registry history. I guess i will have to wait for Superior to ship it which could be a couple of weeks. It looks like a great coin though and i am looking foward to having it in my hot little hands. The 65 i have is a very nice coin from the Kritzman collection . I hate to give it up but need to offset the pain of the one point gain.
    Steve
  • Steve,
    when you get it, it has it on the holder, if its the same one. Congrats again, nice coin! Wasn't sure if you have already sold the 65fb or not, but would have liked to have had it.image
    Dennis

My Dimes

Steve,

It must be nice to get a 66 16-D when you already have a 65. What is your set name so I can look at the rest of it.

Jon
  • JON,

THE NAME ON BOTH THE BASIC AND VARITIES SET IS THE STOKELY COLLECTION.

STEVE
    Mark, I don't intend to crack it and resubmit, I like it just like it is! Put the luck for the 44-S on my 8 dimes I have in at PCGS! And hey, looks like we both came to the same conclusion on that 28-S, waaaay overpriced!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

I see the 28S was mentioned here. What did it go for ? I did not even look at it because a killer coin, IMO, is available elsewhere. Problem with it is I think its over priced also. This will be a good price to compare the one I like too.

By the way Marc how do you determine if a certain Merc is within the top five to ten percent for the grade ? This is interesting to me. Please shed some light on this.

Ken
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    This 28S?

If your talking about the 1928-S on ebay, it didn't make the reserve.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

TOPHAT
    Steve,if your thinking about it,PM me with Price and scan.Thanks Al
    I thought the reference was about the one in the Heritage auction. I completely forgot about the one on Ebay. Anyway the seller of the ebay one tends to be a little high on early date mercs. Nothing against the seller but they are always high IMO. Shipping rate kills me also.

Yep the buy it now at over $700 is high but mercs in California are Highly Prized Coins. image

Ken
  • I HAD TO GO TO THE VAULT AND PULL THE 65 16-D OUT AND TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT IT. IT IS EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN I REMEMBERED. I AM EMBARRASED TO ADMIT THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PUT THE SCAN ON THE THREAD. I DEPEND ON MY WIFE TO DO THIS KINDA THING. I WILL TRY TO DESCRIBE THOUGH. I DO KNOW THAT I AM IN AGREEMENT WITH MR. KRITZMAN THAT IT SHOULD BE GRADED A 66. I THINK HE SUBMITTED BEFORE HE PUT IT UP FOR SALE AND WAS DISAPPOINTED THAT IT DIDN'T AS HE EXPRESSED IN HIS COMMENTS IN THE CATALOG DESCRIPTION. IT HAS GREAT BANDS ,STRIKE AND CLARITY. CLASSEY WARN LUSTER WITH VERY LIGHT ROSE TO FAINT GOLD TONING. I'VE SEEN MANY 67FB DURING MY YEARS OF COLLECTING MERCURIES AND VERY FEW BETTER THAN THIS ONE. EXCUSE WHILE I HAVE AN ORGASM ITS JUST THAT GOOD.

STEVE
  • Funny Steve....image
    Dennis

My Dimes

I think your better off having a good BM.image.Al
    Wayne ,
    yup I dropped out at $530 I believe it was on that 28-S .... good luck on the 8, I actually have 2 I sent in 2 weeks ago, I wonder what they'll came back. Whatever it will be, that is what it'll stay at least by me. Either it'll fit in my set or not.

Steve,
    Is the 65FB for sale. Gosh I'd love to borrow that gem ..one of these days I'll be needed that coin too image Maybe you can take me along to the vault next time you go, I kinda drool when I look at the Stokely Collection statsimage

Jon,
    I was offered today a 45 in 68, but now that you got me thinking, I wonder if the gentleman knew a PCGS slab from an ACG? I better look into this hmmmm
    Ken,
    That 5-10% top of grade stuff, whatever you call it its just when you see a number of Merc's and your really fussy, and turn down pieces here and there or sell those your not happy with to switch to another of same grade (or upgrade..) , I call that 5-10% best of the grade. So you'd say I should try to crack them out or have them regraded ..whatever. Nosiree, I'd rather have PQ examples of the given grade than play that silly expensive game. Didn't confuse you there did I image

I drove 1 hour to check out the Parsippany show in NJ earlier, and left dissapointed. Not one decent Merc in a PCGS holder. Many NGC commons. Only one high grade Merc stood out. A gorgous 18-S in 66FB, gentman wanted 13K or something like that...oh well.

Marc
    Marc.

I understand now I believe. Its sort of like the 25P that I have right now. So far I have seen no other 25P, reguardless of grade, that could replace the one I own. Took about 8 to 10 different 25's to find one I really liked.

BTW I do not play the silly crack out game either. When it comes time to sell a coin the coin will sell on its own merits. This I truely believe and has been proven to me many times. Numbers on slabs are just Numbers and thats the bottom line.

Maybe I better qualify another game that is played. "Cross Overs". Yep I played this game two times. Very mixed results which will probably keep this game from happening again also.

Ken
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    A comment on the 1945 in 68. There are zero No Bands coins in 68 for the year 1945. You can check my collection to validate the populations. I have all of the 40s in 67. There are some 68s out there, but generally the asking price is too high. I have seen couple for about 1K and that is too much for me for a single point, expecially a NB coin.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
    Ken,

Yup, you got the silly crack out game all figured out too, good for you. Your saving lots of money! So much whining on the others threads about not getting the grades wanted whatever, enough said already.

Re the '25 that method sounds just about right, I guess its a matter of taste and fussiness...Eisenberg's collection just sold was on the whole a PQ collection, you can tell he likely upgraded here 'n there, and took his time finding the correct example etc. Prices realized attest to that ......At least it seems that way, I have no personal knowledge of it.

Deep, I know it was not an FB 45 68 , your probably right, if you want the guys # PM, I don't have a pblm with that

Marc
    Hey Marc,

The only "crack out" game I ever played was when I cracked out all the off brand slabs I bought as a newby and put them in my Dansco album. What a night! 6 months later, I am now looking through that album for possible PCGS submission candidates. Several that were bought raw and a few of the off brand coins will be submitted, but there are only a very few that will make 65FB or better.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne