Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the back of this card worthy of an 8

I was considering an auction last night ... but the card shown below had a strange/possibly damadged back. Is this card worthy of an 8?

Regards,

Alan

Comments

• Options
    Alan
    I would be very skeptical. I have not seen such discoloration before on '61s, and I own scads of 'em. Is it possible the scan gives a false impression? Did you look closely at the front where any "stain" may have been apparent?
    regards.............Todd
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Here's the front...I don't see a stain on the lower right hand side that corresponds to the stain on the back

• Options
    It sorta looks yellower on the bottom right front corner to me.... What do others think, scans can sometimes be misleading. Are you considering this as an addition to your set or to resell/regrade? Depends if you can live with that or not, some people can't.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It looks like paper loss or water damage on the bottom back left of that card.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I was gonna buy the lot and break it up. I think the Rizzuto was probably worth $200 as it was nicely centered. It was also packaged with a Mays and a Maris PSA 8 MVP card. It went for $320. I decided to pass because of the Mays. I wouldn't feel right selling it as an 8NQ and when you pull that out of the equation...the Maris and Rizzuto were probably worth the $320...but nothing more.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I definately see a different color on the front of the card in that spot. I don't think it is worthy on an 8 at all. Looks like it should have gotten an 8st.
  • Options
    I concur-- although scans can be deceiving-- it looks like a stain to me.
    Todd
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    After a hard look at the front, I see the coloring or stain on the front as well. Still not a bad card
    if you can live with that.

aconte
  • Options
    I find backs like this on about 1 out of every 9 or 10 psa 8's I buy...
    70's basketball... especiall 1977 bk...
    My impression is that they don't seem to care much about the printing quality or centering on the back of a card.
  • Options
    ydsotter

I think its important to distinguish between printing discoloration and stains. I have seen subtle differences in color on the back of '61s which I don't find all that distracting. A stain, however, is a different story.

Todd