Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

State quarters in MS69 now stand at 33...what happened to that contest? NEW CONTEST IDEAS!!

Didn't we start a contest about a year ago to guess how many there would be in one year? Who was keeping track of that? At that time there were only a couple...now over thirty. Who guessed right?
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• I wonder about that one too Mark, didn't someone promise to giveaway something to the winner?
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about this a little over a month ago. I found the old thread. The deadline was February 15. But if you read the small print, there was some question to whether it was the total number of 69's or number of 69's from 1999,2000 and 2001.

If you look at the numbers 25 are from 2002, so 8 are from the other 3 years.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a contest on state quarters in MS69 and Goodacres in MS69 as well. I have no idea who won, or if anyone even guessed correctly. Buried in my PM's (as well as Gerry's as I recall), are misc. guesses and if anyone claims to have guessed the state quarters correctly, please come forward and I can check my PM's to confirm one way or the other. image

There has really been very little discussion of state quarters in the past year on this board. Yes, I know to some, that is refreshing image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Mark:

You are quite right. I apologize to all for completely losing track of the contest to predict the number of state quarters in PCGS-ms69 as of January 31, 2003.

First of all, the number as of that date was 32. At the time of the contest there were only 1! Most of the 32 are 2002 quarters – 25 to be exact, but even pre-2002 state quarters in ms69 increased from 1 to 7.

I have many of the entries from board members. Mitch has others because entrants could send to either of us.

I won’t embarrass some of the brightest and sharpest people we have on the message board by recording their paltry predictions sent to me, but many guessed 3 or 4 or 5 or 6. Obviously, most of us (me included) failed to foresee that there would be this onslaught of 2002’s graded ms69.

Anyway, of the entries that I have CarlWohlforth was by far the closest, guessing 27! Not bad, Carl, especially since you had no way of cribbing!

In my records, Andy007 was not-a-close second with a guess of 17. Sorry, Andy, no runner-up prize was contemplated.

Mitch will have to check his entries to see if anyone beat Carl, otherwise he is herewith declared the winner.

The winner was deemed to have bragging rights, so unless someone usurps you Carl, brag away. There were also more material rewards, but I lost track of them – Mitch will have to announce them.

You wanna bet double or nothing, Carl?

• does anyone have a link to the thread, I couldn't find it searching back.

man, I thought Mitch was going to give away a MS69 state quarter to the winner too. image
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>does anyone have a link to the thread, I couldn't find it searching back.

man, I thought Mitch was going to give away a MS69 state quarter to the winner too. image >>

Ask and you shall receive

Original Thread
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Hey I'm pretty great huh? I'll bet I can guess as good as anybody.

Double or nothing? Sure, what's the bet? All I have to lose is bragging rights image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guessed zero, so I was 33 off. Is there a prize for guessing the worse answer?

peacockcoins

• Pat:

Yes, there is a prize for you. You have won the exclusive rights to set up and run the next contest on these boards. image Congratulations!

Gerry
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    I hope the new contest has a better prize!
    Contest ideas:
    1) What will be the next PCGS gimmick slab? (more death coins? state bird holders for the state quarters? signature series of every mint employee? )

2) # of PR70DCAMs to be graded in the next 12 months

3) # of veterinary questions Monsta will (attempt to) answer for forum members in the next 12 months.

Any other ideas?
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.