Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Rack packs how many cards in there?

Noticed some 75 rack packs how many cards do they contain also hows the condition of these cards if they truly haven't been opened ?
"All my life I've been searching for something"

Comments

• 1975 Topps Rack packs have 42 cards . I have opened many of these in the past and the condition is fine except it is plagued with off centered cards like all sorts of packs in this year.
  • THANKSimage
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • Perhaps everyone learns their lesson with unopened material. It's very tempting.
    I just got back some 1985 Topps football (that black bordered set) from PSA that I took out of a rack pack. The two Elways got 7's.

Pulling a nine on pre 1987 (or so) is like pulling the handle on a slot machine. (not in your favor).
    The earlier you go, the less likely the higher grade.
    Although it's kind of exciting opening a rack pack, there's a reason the dealers don't open them all. And I think it might be called "the Topps cutting process"

• murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    scotty.
    you up? call me.
    condolences on those invoices.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    The problem is not the packs or the racks themselves; it's the handling of these items over the years. If it's not pulled directly from a case (and this is certainly no guarantee), chances are it has been put here, over there, fell off this, bumped into that, moved from this house to that house, etc.

In general: the older the item, especially if not boxed or cased, will show at least some corner touches at best.

BOTR
  • even then not good odds i cracked a box of the formentioned 85 football black borders fresh from a case not good at all mucho 8,s a handfull of nines.stick to the slots better odds
  • I had to email Murcerfan and complain about my grader of death submission.
    when I read the posts, (about this doomsday grader) I kind of blew it off, thinking "everyone hates grades they get"
    But this was absolutely brutal! I think when they receive big submissions they intentionally grade below the belt, so people will have to crack out cards and keep sending them in.

Keep that gravy train rollin!!

I estimate a 30% crackout rate on this last one.

Yer killin' me ova here!!

• WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I honestly think that if someone submits too much of one thing on one invoice, the grader will use that invoice to help "correct" the market. I knew somebody that submitted 300 of the same Shaq rookie and got mostly 8's, some 9's, and zero 10's and it wasn't that hard of a 10 to get. By the grader not giving any 10's on that 1 submission, it changed the percentages of 10's for that card enough to help make a 10 of that card more desirable if someone is checking the pop reports.
  • I remember as a youngster how easy it was to search those old rack packs, nothing more than a couple sharp finger nails and you knew every card in the rack. I know I was not the only scientist on earth. Do you honestly think people that own/sell these racks have not done the same thing? Get Real !!image
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Many rack packs also use print runs that make many of them the same. I have opened enough 1979 Racks that I have a pretty good idea which star cards are in each rack. It's not a full proof method but it is consistent about 75% of the time.