Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you turn in a fake auction(er) to EBAY

I just noticed in EBAY auction 2713809628 there is a seller with a seemingly high feedback who is attempting to sell the PSA 9 1953 Bowman Color Roy Campanella that is, unfortunately for him, nicely placed in a frame holding my 53 Bowman Color set on my office wall. As such, I presume that this guy is trying to pull a fast one so how should I report this to EBAY.

Thanks

Chris
Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Chris,

I believe that you're easiest way is to go into eBay - "site map" and then go down to "Safe Harbor". Under that there are two that should work - one is aptly titled "Fraud Protection Program" but I believe the one that you want is "Investigations". You should be able to find a form to send in with the info.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Chris - The e-mail address used to be safeharbor@ebay.com, you might try that also. The seller normally buys games, hasn't done any selling recently. Could very easily be a hijacked account. Two high $$$ 3 day private auctions for sportscards. Looking for a quick score. ............. Jim
  • Options
    What category should I use - there does not seem one aptly related to someone trying to sell a card that I own

thanks

chris
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    I'm selling that picture of your wife and kids on your desk. Could you open your blinds a little more? The picture didn't come out worth a hoot!!
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I checked out the N28 sets on the registry to see if the other card up for auction could possibly be "stolen" as well. Stonegate does have a PSA 8 Keefe in his set, but with no picture, it would suggest that the pic was garnered from another source. I don't have access to pop reports and don't know how many graded PSA 8s exist, but the card seems to be a likely candidate to be lifted.

spacktrack
  • Options
    Wow, that must've been a strange feeling to see your card show up in an auction!

On a side note, one of the coolest things that has happened to me recently was I was looking through some old pictures and came across a few that I took at the '00 Anaheim National. One was a 59T Mantle #461 PSA 9. I went through my cards and lo and behold, it's now in my house!
  • Options
    Chris,

Where would he have gotten the scan? You don't have the scan posted on your set. Did you recently purchase it on ebay? If so, I would think ebay would be even more interested (take that however you want - I know ebay generally could care less, but this might get their interest if it's a recently stolen scan).

He's also listed it as a private auction so nobody can email the bidders through ebay and warn them.

JEB.
  • Options
    Chris.......You should e-mail this guy and tell him you find it interesting he's auctioning a card you own......see what he says.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    unfortunatly............safe harbor = deaf ears
    at least you can find out how much your card is "e-bay worth" image
  • Options
    I presume he got the scan from the recent mastro net auction where I bought it from just a few months ago. I did email him and here is the silly answer that I got back:

""Hello. Please send us some evidence that this is your card. The card (image and description) was given to us on consignment. If you can provide a brief history, or a picture, we will remove the listing ASAP! Please understand our situation.

Thank you,
    Chex Card ""

I wrote him back saying that if he is indeed being manipulated myself and my company lawyers are ready to stand by to get him in touch with safe harbor and the FBI internet fraud unit in order to turn in this fradulent seller who is using him - lol - we'll see what he does.

• Options
    Here are copies of my two emails - I was being a bit direct but it will be interesting to see his answers:

First one (first part is from me):

I will send you a scan of the card tomorrow morning (I will include a bit of a newspaper in the same scan), as well you can contact Superior Sports (see www.psacard.com or www.superiorsports.com for phone numbers) with respect to the fact that I won this card in the last superior sports auction and it is registered in my 1953 Bowman Color Set. Since this card is on "consignment," I suspect that you will report the consigning "seller" to the EBAY safe harbor board and the FBI internet fraud unit, whose links are found in EBAY under Safe Harbor.

You have to admit that with how you are running the auction with the auction bidders identies hidden and with the form of payment that you are taking, I am still suspicious of your motivations and will be watching this situation very closely as I am a huge baseball card collector and I think fraud ruins the hobby. As such I will insure that you are put in touch with EBAY safe harbor to turn over the consigning "seller."

Looking forward to your active cooperation in bringing this fradulent seller to justice.

>From: PeppardB@aol.com
    >To: cfo_media_most@hotmail.com
    >Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2713809628
    >Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:41:28 EST
    >
    >Hello. Please send us some evidence that this is your card. The card (image
    >and description) was given to us on consignment. If you can provide a brief
    >history, or a picture, we will remove the listing ASAP! Please understand our
    >situation.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >Chex Card

My second email:

Actually, I bought the card from a MastroNet auction, not superior sports.

Do you have a contact number where my company lawyers can reach you to facilitate the tracking down of this fradulent seller and turning him or her to the proper authorities.

All the best

>Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:41:28 EST
    >
    >Hello. Please send us some evidence that this is your card. The card (image
    >and description) was given to us on consignment. If you can provide a brief
    >history, or a picture, we will remove the listing ASAP! Please understand our
    >situation.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >Chex Card Text
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    You should use their buy-it-now feature to force the issue. image
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    what does buy it now accomplish?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Everyone from the Registry should e-mail him and tell him he is a fraud and will be exposed, that we will eat his children and fart, simultaneously, in his general direction.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    I would give the seller a chance to correct things. He might plan on stealing the card after the auction . He is first seeing if the price warrants his efforts to go to your home/office to steal the card and finish the deal .

James
    x
  • Options
    I do think people should take things like this seriously as it does damage the hobby and without personal action to stop people like this, they think they can get away with it. Anyways, here is a link to the scan that I sent him this morning - we'll see if he does anything

• Options
    chris

have you forwarded that scan to E-Bay? I'm sure that they blew you off, but there isa slight chance that they might take your concerns seriously.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    Here is the response I got from the seller:

<< <i>Hello i don't know what is going on but i am not selling anything. There has been a mistake. >>

• Options
    I emailed this guy and he claims he is not selling anything and that somebody has listed the card using his ebay info. This is getting ridiculous, now even with a scan one can't be sure what they are buying. Crap like this will only destroy the hobby.

Bill
  • Options
    This guy is an idiot - he sent me the same email that he is not selling anything when yesterday he said he was selling this card on consignment.

Here is our latest discourse and now I am going to call EBAY:

Yesterday you told me that you were doing this on consignment for someone else. I do not believe you so I am calling EBAY with my lawyers now. If you would like to participate in this conversation please let me know which numbers my lawyers can contact you on.

>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:02:30 EST
    >
    >Hello i do not know what is going on i am going to try to find out but i am
    >not selling anything.

• Options
    Well I reported this to EBAY and they took the complaint without me having to go through safe harbor Email so let us see what happens
  • Options
    Here is our latest discourse - I cannot understand how this guy is so stupid as to not remember the emails that he sent to me yesterday in which he stated he was doing this auction on consignment:

T"his e-mail that you sent me is quite inconsistent with the email that you sent me yesterday admitting to the auction which stated that you were doing this on consignment (I have saved this email). I am in the process of forwarding all of your emails to EBAY safe harbor and the FBI Internet Fraud Unit.

Have a nice day"

>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:24:24 EST
    >
    >I am not going to participate in anything because this auction was a fraud
    >and was not listed by me. Somone hacked into my account and put up this
    >auction unbeknownst to me. You are pointing the finger at the wrong person.
    >Call whatever lawyers you have to but i will not be a part of it.

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Private auctions -- another hint of wrongdoing. There aren't too many good reasons to have a private auction. Chris thanks for trying to hold this guy accountable. And how the hell can he offer "fast shipping" if the card isn't even in his hands?

At least he is a virtuous guy -- "Your bid is a legally binding contract and it will be treated as such. " He respects the law. That’s good.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Chris, I too say thanks for pushing this through.

As one of the set registry participants for the 1887 A&G set, I can assure everyone this guy is highly suspicious. First, a BIN of $2500 is ridiculous. The card easily sells in the $5000 - $6000 range ...often above SMR. The population is only 9. Further, I have not seen one sold on eBay or any of the auction houses in 6 months or longer so I am not sure where they got the picture of the card.
  • Options
    Gee...the guy does say Fast Shipping image
  • Options
    Hi Chris/Guys,

Chris, we haven't met in person yet, unless you are going to Ft. Washington tomorrow. Nice Musial card you bought at the last show. Anyway, Chex card is a scam. Any auction on Ebay with Chex card is a fraud. These guys copy and paste scans from past auctions like Superior’s, Mastro Net, Mile High, Etc. and claim they are all on consignment. It happened with several other cards in past auctions. I do not know how these guys get Ebay accounts with 100-900 positives and convert them into these stupid Chex Cards auctions. I told Chris Porter that the archived auction pictures should be removed except for the last auction. All of Superior's past auctions still have the scans, which can be copied and used in a fraudulent auction. People may remember who has the card (if it is a high end card), but are any of you (Unless you know the owner first hand), going to remember who won a PSA 8 green back Cobb 2 1/2 years ago in a Superior auction?

Chex Cards = Stay Away, You are being Scammed.

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    Hi, I will be going to the Ft Washington show on Sunday morning. If any of you know Keith Abrahms you can find me through him as we usually hang out together there part of the time. I would like to meet up with anyone at the show who has stories about these guys as my company has two NYPD detectives who work part time with us and we can file a complaint with the FBI with their help, but there would be more interest on the part of the authorities if there is more than one example.

Thanks for everybody's support and let us see what we get out of my first efforts through safe harbor and reporting this to the FBI.
  • Options
    Why is this auction still running?
  • Options
    EBAY safe Harbor said that it would take them 24-36 hours from the time I reported it to address the problem, plus the guy who is listed as the seller is saying that someone hacked his AOL account to list this auction, which is of course a load of crap.

As I stated in my last email, the only way this stops is when people get punished and as such if anyone has stories of the chex card people with this fake auctions let us build a database for the authorities (see my last post).

Thanks

Chris
  • Options
    The auction was just deleted by EBAY - I called EBAY twice more today and they finally did something. Now let us see if we can get the law invloved if we get enough other examples.

Let us see if they stop this person from selling on EBAY - his user id is MJPEPPARD
  • Options
    the next time this turkey puts a fake auction up i'll use buy it now. i can easily trace his ip address from any email he sends me asking for payment, and if it matches the ip address from the server he uses regularly he's toast (not like anyone buys in to his "someone hacked in to my account" bs story anyway). once an auction ends, it becomes a legally binding contract. trust me, the fbi will get involved real quick. i've used a similar method before when someone used one of my friend's scans, and the guy got busted
  • Options
    sounds good, maybe we can work together as I do not know how to work in tracing someone's IP address

all the best

chris