Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

FAVORITE COIN PURCHASED AT LONG BEACH

Ok - We did it for FUN, now let's do it for Long Beach! What was your most favorite coin purchased at the Long Beach Show/ auctions? I'll start.

It was a close call as I purchased a couple very neat coins, but my winner is an 1871 GEM RED Pattern Nickel (JUDD-1054). In this pattern, Ms. Liberty is wearing a small diadem or coronet inscribed LIBERTY and her hair is tied back with a ribbon. The design resembles that employed on regular issue three-cent pieces. The reverse has a modern numeral "5" (with cents beneath) as opposed to the often seen Roman "V", which is centered in a laurel wreath. There are believed to be roughly a dozen and a half of these coins in existence and this is the only J-1054 with a RED designation in any grade at PCGS, and even more special as a solid gem PCGS-PR65RD specimen image

What did you pick up? Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

How much will you sell me one of your soon to be graded 1950 d Lincoln cents when it grades ms 67?

Stewart
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Yeah...what Stewart said. Might even want two...image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    Ok, my most favorite coin(s) purchased (do the coins have to be ones that I bought) were (haven't been auctioned yet) the
    43-P COPPER Lincon
    43-D COPPER Lincon
    44-P STEEL Lincoln
    44-D STEEL Lincoln

see http://www.goldbergcoins.net/catalogarchive/20030224/chap007.shtml losts 148,149,151,152
  • Options
    Here are the prices with the juice. Anyone know if the same person bought them all for about $377,200?

43-P COPPER Lincon $97,750
    43-D COPPER Lincon $212,750 <-- Unique?
    44-P STEEL Lincoln $31,050
    44-D STEEL Lincoln $35,650
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart and Roger: My 1950(d) cents are not for sale -instead, I plan on offering a trade to Andy for some 1948(p) and 1954(p) cents in 67RD after he grades those image Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch

If Andy wanted the 1950 D Lincoln Cents he would have bought them.Now that you have ? ms 67's spread your wealth.

Stewart
  • Options
    "If Andy wanted the 1950 D Lincoln Cents he would have bought them.Now that you have ? ms 67's spread your wealth."

Stewart: Even the best miss a lot or two every now and again image
    I should be able to fill your order for a 50(d) cent before the Spring flowers bloom. Wondercoin

• Options

I did not buy any coins from the auctions but I bought 2 MS69 State Quarters from an Individual attending the auctions. Does that count? Thanks Mitch for the 2 69s. image
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • Options
    Ed: You are welcome. image

It is great to see you building a wonderful MS state quarter set. Perhaps we can do a separate thread on state quarters next month and you can share your personal statistics on just how easy it was for you to make your own super gem coins from 1999-2001 image Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch-I don't want to be outdone. I will take 3 of those 50-D's. Then I can trade one to Stewart for something else I needimage
    Marc
  • Options
    Marcalan: 50(d) MS67's are just a "dream" right now. With the way PCGS has been grading copper - well - will a very nice MS66+ fill the hole for now? image Wondercoin
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,

1950-D for 1954 or 1948...you MUST be planning on having a FEW of them to trade, eh? What other dates did you pick up (if any)? And did you catch the posts on the US coin board where members with OBW rolls thought they were going to get rich after those auction results?

Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    "And did you catch the posts on the US coin board where members with OBW rolls thought they were going to get rich after those auction results?"

Roger: Put me in the same room with Andy and one or two other guys and they likely WILL get rich!! image

Anyway, I won one or two hundred pounds worth of Lincolns and Andy may have won another 500 hundred pounds (best I could tell) and a few other guys a good bit of poundage as well. Whether any of this actually translates into "prize coins" is entirely up to the "grading gods" as far as I am concerned. I know better than to "count my chickens", as my goose has been cooked on more than one occasion of late image Wondercoin
  • Options
    With all those hundreds of pounds of Mint State rolls.......wouldn't it be nice if PCGS would just grade a few lbs. MS67RD??? Unfortunately......the only Lincolns they feel comfortable giving MS67RD's to.....are 44-S, 45-S, etc.......and we don't need more of those. There has to be quite a few really nice MS66RD's being made lately within the low pop tough dates. Everybody wants to make a few......and are sending in the nicest coins for the tough dates.......looking for the MS67RD......but are getting them back in 66 holders. Well.......66's can be had for a fraction of the cost of a 67.....which makes me wonder.....why am I throwing my money at these 67 coins.......which are maybe marginably better than a top end 66 (assuming PCGS really does grade the coins accurately).......when they cost 10 to 30 times as much?? I must be crazy! Anybody want to buy some low pop MS67RD coins?image
    Marc
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Favorite coin I purchased at Long Beach...um..this one:

Of course, I haven't seen how my Heritage bids are going to hold up, so my choice might change. image
  • Options
    Greg, spectacular. Of course you know how rare rainbow Peace dollars are!! cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Only doing 'long distance' buying from Florida. This Proof Frankie from the Heritage auction will probably hold up as being my favorite. At least I needed to fill this hole the most.

1953 PR66DCAM

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I must confess I spent a lot of money on a coin that was holed and plugged.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up two neat pattern cents from Rick Kay. Thanks Rick!image
    imageimage
  • Options

I wasn't able to make the trip to Long Beach but I was out there bidding.

This one is my first Trade Dollar..ever! Picked up from the Heritage Signature Sale.

• Options
    My fave was a bay bridge I found on the floor just a AU
    A wonderful set of trade dollars just AWESOME++++++++
    again Morris Wondercoin and I no ms67 1955d
    and did we try

thanks to
    Mike Ellis
    James Taylor
    Mitch and Mon wonderful
    Tom (James S.)

another show and still no AU or better 1943 (11-O-1)
    its in the red book

Bob
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • Options
    "Mitch and Mon wonderful"

That's "Mom" - and she is wonderful! image

Everyone tried for a 55(d) - I'll post a thread later tonight.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of having my indian cent collection graded. I showed my 1868 to several dealers and they all said that it was cleaned. So I was able to pick up two coins: an 1868 & 1869 PCGS MS-64R/B indians. My current 1869 was raw and only a XF-40.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Hey Tom K (tjkillian),
    Was that you that bought my 1869 pcgs ms 64 rb indian? if so than nice meeting you.
    The name sounds famliar from a sale i had at L.B. show this weekend. table 748 a.w. coins.
    thanks, Rick cladmaker
  • Options
    I picked up a 1999-D Jefferson nickel that's 80% off center.I was on a tear for errors and this one was all I could afford at this time.Saw some great error stuff at Weinberg's table but was a bit out of my league price wise.For me anyway it's going and seeing and meeting board members,that is the icing on the cake.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Cladmaker,

Was that you??? If it were my wife who actually wrote out the check, then yes, it was! My wife and I were both wearing our new "PCGS" pins. Great coin, by the way. Let me know if you get any 1870-1879 indians as well and we can deal some more.

Nice meeting you.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Thanks to Pinnacle-Rarities I bought a 1913 Type 1 Buffalo 5c in PCGS PR67. Just need one more piece now to finish my 20th Century Proof type set.

Greg
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Braddick will understand this one:

My favorite purchase at Long Beach -- and hands-down at that -- was an 1881-P Morgan dollar. It's a perfect, problem-free example with no distractions that I am delighted to have finally located.

I'm pretty sure PCGS will grade it Fair-02.

It cost me seven bucks. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    mine is my ohio pr70 MONSTA DCAM oops...it only visited Mitchs table image

will post pics when it arrives.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won the 1807 NGC EF45 O-101 R.5 half dollar from the Heritage auction, nice original coin, probably the third finest, most are F12 or less. All '07 101's have weak strikes, this one is also about 3% off-center - very interesting. Also got the 1806/5 O-102 PCGS AU55, also around the third finest.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver