Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Help!! Post Office and Registered Mail

Folks, I need Help!!!
There was a thread several months ago that dealt with lost registered mail, and there were some suggestions on what to do immediately. Can't find it, so I'm asking again.
I have gone to my post office and this is the proceedure they have set down, that I find so extraordinary, that I am having a hard time accepting it.
Anyone with experience please advise. Here's the pocess:
BTW, this is to just query the system as to where it is, not to necessarily file the claim for reimbursement.
There are three processes, this is the fastest one.
1. Get a signed dated letter from the recipient that the article has not been received. Email with date and sender is not acceptable.
2. Bring the letter, registered receipt, and proof of value for the item to the post office.
3. Fill out a form attach the 3 items from #2, and they will send it to St. Louis, where they will then begin an investigation.
All of this to just find out where it is! Or where it isn't.
I have gone on line and queried the usps system that only shows the article was accepted at the post office. The post office people confirm that the only entry into the system is the accepting entry. I am told that is the only thing they can do at this time.
I am unbelieveably frustrated that it is going to take a weeks worth of correspondence and paperwork before the first thing is done.
Thanks for any help.
Dick

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like what I did to get a claim paid. A few weeks later I had a check in hand. There was a required wait period (30 days??) before the recipient could sign the letter.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Dick

I had the same thing happen with me. The USPS tracking showed that it was recieved at PO and then nothing they made me wait 15 days to file a claim I had to complete the claim form and send to person recieving package to complete his portion of form and return to me so I could file at my PO. I recieved the claim form back 22 days after shipping date and filed it at the PO the package was delivered in Ohio 4 days later. Total of 26 days for registered mail to go about 1500 miles. There is always a chance it will show up.
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    How long ago was this item given to the post office? If less than 10 days ago, don't do anything at this time. Actually, you can't file any official paperwork for 30 days anyway. Is there some issue with waiting? Time will most likely result in the package being delivered. The post office loses VERY few of these registered packages, but the registered process takes much longer to deliver than normal delivery. Take that into consideration and don't worry. Let us know what happens. Steve

P.S. If you are just interested in knowing WHERE the package is in the post office system, you cannot find that information out yourself. The post office personnel have the ability to query the system, but they are just not going to do that for anybody, and particularly, unless the package is lost over 30 days.
  • there is no need to wait 15 or 30 days. After a reasonable amount of time -- like three days -- have your post office make a tracking inquiry. they can do it. this is what I did when my infamous pr70 washington was snatched on its way to pcgs -- and resulted in the postal employee arrest. cheers, alan mendelson
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Alan on this one. They should be able to do a tracking without all the paperwork (which IS needed for a claim). I'd just try again with another clerk (or at another PO).

WH
  • How long has it been? It took 12 days for a registered letter to go from PA to CT?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Thanks for the info so far. The package has been in the system for14 days to date. That amout of time seemed enough to request a tracking inquiry. It is the seemingly non existance of a tracking inquiry ability, that has frustrated me so much.
    It is amazing to me that a company like FedEx can instantly provide the up to the minute data on a package, and one that ships for half what a registered insured usps will, and the usps method requires up to 30 days of waiting and then the "system" will start to look.
    I expect the manhours lost doing this exercise, multipied by the number of times it would seem this could reasonably occur, would go a long way towards paying for a system like FedEx has.
    Anytime in the future anyone wants to push my hot button, feel free to remind me of this flailex.
    imageimage
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait until you get a postal money order back from someone and then you try to redeem it for cash. The buracracy is unbelieveable. I bought some coins from an idiot through IDIOTBAY a year ago for about $50, and send a postal money order. He never sent the coins. Three months went by, with no reponses to my e-mails. I wrote it off. Then he contacts me and tells me FOUR MONTHS LATER that he has the money order, but I didn't put his name on it correctly so he can't cash it. After letting him have it with both barrels, he sends me the money order back with VOID written across the front of it. I had to fill out forms at my local PO, and they had to send it all off to St. Louis (I live in Mississippi). 45 days later, I get a new postal money order with MY name on it, which I had to go down to the PO and cash.

This is what government has done to us. Here is my latest rant:

I was issued a document by my state a couple of years ago. I noticed that there was an error on it, about a month ago. I wrote a letter asking them to correct it. They wrote back that they didn't have the authority to go back and fix it. This obviously means that they had the authority to screw it up, but not to undo the screw up. If I want it fixed, I have to file a lawsuit!!!!

Although I am a lawyer, I loathe the filing of lawsuits!!!!

Amazing isn't it? Government zombies . . .
    Doug
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Post Office has update their service on Registered Mail. It can now, as of 02/01/2003, be tracked from your PC at the www.usps.com, the same way as a delivery confimation can be tracked. It should show the last PO scan.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    About a month ago, I sent a first class insured package to pcgs. It normally takes three to four days. After about 10 day I got worried and went down to the post office to see if they could find anything. Like you all their system showed was they accepted the package. They told me just because it was not received didn't mean it was lost. I was told to wait it out it was probably mis-directed. (I way under insured because I have yet to lose a package). I was really worried. Well, to make a long story short, 15 days later the package finally made it. I hope the case is the same for you. This stuff gets misplaced and then it shows up way later than normal. My record still holds--I have never lost a package in the postal system.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

djm, Have YOU actually done it on one of your packages? I know I can't and I just received a registered package last Thursday. No mention of it on the USPS site either. Please confirm. Thanks. Steve
  • Well, after all of my sweat and worry, the package showed up today!image Thanks to everyone for encouragement and ideas. I did use the usps tracking system and it only showed the receiving entry, so my thoughts on a FedEx type system still looks good to me.
    Again, thanks everyone, the registration would have covered the cost of the coin, but it was a very old and nearly unatainable treasure that would have broken my heart to loose.
    Dick
    Dick, glad to hear you got your coin. Bottom line with USPS is they DO need to update their systems to compete with FedEx, etc, and they are starting to it with Priority Mail, etc. Their Registered Mail is still in the old world, BUT it is still very reliable in getting rare and valuable coins from one place to another with some degree of certainty. It usually takes the post office personnel out of the stealling concern because they each have to sign for it at every step in the process. Of course, this all slows down the delivery process.
  • we all have our horror stories on insured packages from USPS..one was sent to me back in July 02..never received it..called the sender..he sent me the appropriate claim forms, receipts etc.....and I filed with the local post office..they accepted the claim form....time went by..went to the USPS site..found out after 30 days you can get an update....but I had waited almost 60 days...finally called the automated number and got a response the claim had been denied ($76) because the package had been delivered and a letter stating that fact was sent to the orginal sender.....well did that one frost me..so called the sender..bought many coins from him before..and he said he had never received any such notification..he kindly wrote me a letter stating that fact..I sent a heated letter back to St Louis..in Dec....asking them to show me evidence of delivery with my signature on it......and if they couldnt refund the amount of the claim...I still waiting and about to write my second letter to St Louis and the US Postmaster......while this isnt a large amount its the principle...here....cheers all
  • Years ago I went to the local Post Office. I asked the postal clerk who was working
    behind the counter as to what was the difference between "registered" and "insured".
    She seemed kind of stumped by my question. She had to ask another employee to help explain the differences to me.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Dick,

I am glad your package showed up! It was probably mis-directed, and it found its way.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I had the exact same problem with a return to QVC. I had to fil out their form, get a letter from them saying they never received it, proof of what I paid, and the original insurance slip. The local post office took the insurance slip, ran thru their system and produce a report stating that it was signed for on Jan. 3.....4 days after I sent it. I called QVC, faxed them the report, and got my $220 refund.

It pays to keep your paper work.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • djm as of 02/01/03 you can track registered mail??????????? I was not able to track mine. Their website showed nothing. Even a call to the Post Office with the registered number produced nothing.

FYI You can now combine Registered mail with 3 day Priority mail.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Cosmicdebris,
    Thanks for the info on combining priority and registered! I'll try it this week. That sure is a terrific picture of your coin!
    Dick
    WalkerGuy, let us know if you can combine Registered Mail with Priority. My guess is no, but if you can, let us know. Thanks, Steve