Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Not a reverse of 1938

Hi FS collectors,
Saw this on ebay and it's Not a reverse of 1938. Can anyone tell me why?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    Leo:

While the steps look straight (rev of 40), I cannot tell with 100% accuracy from the picture which reverse this really is.

The 1939 rev of 38 I have examined have the least wavy steps out of all of the 1939 PDS coins. Several 1939 rev of 38 upon 1st examination look like straight steps but are really the wavy variety. Maybe I just need to get my eyes examined?image

Is there another way to tell what reverse this is from the picture?

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Is it the hand rails?
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Is it the hand rails?

That's funny! But inaccurate.

Look closely and you'll see the steps have been made wheelchair accessable with the addition of a ramp. Making this reverse easily identifiable.
    Dan
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey leo

i generally key on the thickness of the top step which isn't always easy to tell from a scan. this appeared to me to be the Type 2 or Rev. of 40 so i bid. lets all be quiet about it , though. i'd hate for that to be the truth and see the seller yank it like that 1966 SMS kennedy no FG that was pulled out from under me at closing time. i hate it when that happens.image

al h.image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, A lot of great answers. There are several ways to tell but since you guys already know, there's no point for me to go into all the details...........bid away. lol

Leo

• Options
    The hand rails are very distinct. All the handrails on my 1938s and 1939 rev. of '38s are somewhat flat or washed out. The 1940s and rev. of '40s show a distinct handrail. Keets is right regarding the top step but my monitor does not give a good resolution. Keep it up Leo.......
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    Okay so is this a reverse of 38 or 40? I can't tell from the picture.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........i beleive the issue has been settled. the seller has canceled the auction, no doubt either to an early sale or because they were alerted by this thread and delisted the item. bummer to us all.

am i the only one currently assembling a 39 grading set for these Types??

al h.image
  • Options
    AL:

"am i the only one currently assembling a 39 grading set for these Types??"

Check out my variety set for the 1939s.

Thanks for the information.

Frank

• Options
    Hey I'm back! I apologize for taking so long.
    Here are some pics to help clarify what 1938 and 1940 steps look like. Yes, I know I may have jumped the gun but it's my opinion, the 1939 in the auction is or was a REVERSE of 1940, the common type.
    The good news is the coin has not gone anywhere. The owner is unsure of it's value so he has decided
    to hold onto it for awhile. I have also sent the seller these pictures and some additional information.
    I'm waiting for a reply and have asked them to join in on the discussion about their coin. So it's, let's wait and see what happens, I'll be back in about an hour.

Leo

• Options
    I have E-mailed several sellers over the last few years regarding whether their coins are reverse of '38 or '40. All give a BS answer stating that they don't know. Don't know?....No Bid.......

NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    Well, here's an update...........

I'm only quoting parts of the reply and they said;

'we do understand taht this coin should be sent back to PCSG and be correctly labeled since it does not state the fact that it's a Rev 38...................My husband bought it from someone on Ebay as a snipe since no one was paying attention to this coin and it had no reserve.

Here's another auction they had for this coin Link. In this auction, they did not have it listed as a
    REVERSE of 1938.

I do not believe they understood the information and pictures I provided for them. I think they still believe that the PCGS coin #4003 makes it a REV. of 1938.

Taking another look at the steps........that's a pretty thick top step so I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

And again, the sellers said after they get it back from PCGS they plan on holding onto it for awhile.
    So watch the pops is my suggestion. lol

Leo