Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Next Registry Special -- Any Hints??

I believe the pre-1972 commons @ $7 a card special is over the 28th of February.

Anyone know what PSA has up its sleeve for March?

I wouldn't mind seeing $5 / card special come back.

If this topic has already been posted, I apologize, I have been away for some time.
Penn State Football

Comments

• aer112...

I'd also like to see that 5 buck deal come back...

I'm sitting on about 2000 cards, waiting for the signal from PSA........

(The postal guy is going to hate this)!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • I hear they have a $1 per card - 1988 Topps #388 Wade Boggs All Star grading special coming up. This card only, 1000 card minimum. I can't wait. image

JEB.
  • Virtualizard

Hush! Boggsie would be all over that deal, and Vegas states that hecould meet the minimum submission number without breaking a sweat.

Guys, don't hold your breath, the days of a $5 submission are history. New CEO, a revenue need, a cheapening of the product, the negative effect on market prices with existing slabs, all combine to eliminate these deals. Where is the incentive for the big boys to constantly submit 5 or 10 thousand per month at nearly the same rate as a guy who submits 25 cards per submission? His "edge" to make an extra buck on that slab has just been lost. Why should he continue to submit? The market still has to absorb all those extras that the collectors submitted and sell to help offset their own cards. Just Economics 101
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for that $5 deal, half of the 1970's cards wouldn't have been graded. The $5 deal literally opened an entire market for PSA. The ball is rolling now and people are starting to grade early 80's stuff in quantity. To end it now would be crazy.
  • Zardoz,

Well stated. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I just took a different approach to my response. image

I think everyone needs to assess what their cards are worth to them. If you have 25 cards that you're willing to submit for grading, what does it matter whether the grading fee is $5 or $7 per card. If you are trying to complete a set, the $2 per card difference is usually well less than the premium you'd pay for buying the card already graded on ebay. Send me the raw NM-MT or MT cards you have that I need and I'll pay you double what Beckett lists them for and still gladly pay $7 per card for grading. image

JEB.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Yeah but look at kingkellogg, that $2 per card would mean that he is just throwing away $4,000! That's a chunk of change.
  • I'd be really curious to know what % of cards are submitted by dealers vs. collectors. The problem for PSA is how many cards would normally be submitted at the higher rate, and how much such a discount cheapens the market.

Let's face it - if the market rate is $7/card, we'll see '70s commons in PSA 8 selling for $5+, and 9s have to go for $15+. Drop it to $5, and you'll see both numbers take a 30% haircut...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    I think some of your opinions on dealers are way over-estimated.

Sol, you may submit plenty of volume to PSA and they should cut you a favorable deal by scale,
    but the average collector out there is the bread and butter of their revenue stream.

A few large dealers do not make the company. It is precisly those 25-100 card submissions that
    are key to revenue flow.

The specials did indeed kick-start common grading which has been almost exclusivley done by collectors.

PSA needs a steady flow of small submissions much more than a single large submission.

Id PSA does not come up with a good reason to grade commons from 70's/80's/90's then thats when they will be in trouble.

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>NY Councilman Charles Barron "I want to go up to the closest white person and say, 'You can't understand this, it's a black thing,' and then slap him, just for my mental health." >>

???
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    << NY Councilman Charles Barron "I want to go up to the closest white person and say, 'You can't understand this, it's a black thing,' and then slap him, just for my mental health." >>

Totally inappropriate on a PSA forum. Just had a long thread on the Sports Card and Mem forum about this and I thought the issue was resolved.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
    Just read Vargha's reply on that same thread and you will know my position as well.

Loves me some shiny!
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Just read Vargha's reply on that same thread and you will know my position as well.

Vargha's post concerns political signature lines. Supporting a black man attacking white people is a lot more than political. This kind of inflammatory stuff does not belong on a Sportscard forum.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
    So if Vargha puts up a pic of Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton, he is showing his support for them?

If you are going to judge at least understand where I am coming from by reading other posts I have made.

Loves me some shiny!
  • How about a unique twist of post 1972 sportscard special--

Say, $5.55 per card of the following:

Any player born in an even year, cards from even years can be submitted for special price.

Any player born in an odd year, cards from odd years can be submitted for special price.

I know this takes away, League Leaders, Playoffs, and other multiple player and non sport cards, but it puts a unique spin on things.
    Penn State Football

• << <i>How about a unique twist of post 1972 sportscard special--

Say, $5.55 per card of the following:

Any player born in an even year, cards from even years can be submitted for special price.

Any player born in an odd year, cards from odd years can be submitted for special price.

I know this takes away, League Leaders, Playoffs, and other multiple player and non sport cards, but it puts a unique spin on things. >>

Maybe PSA could offer this special in conjunction with a PRE 1972 sportscard special for any card depicting a player born after 1960. image

JEB.
  • I too would liketo see the 5.00 special. (if I decide to go with psa again) And I am very proud of my 1988.....image I would have to submitt all I own to find a possible 9 in the bunch out of the few hundred I have....so yes I would like that special!!!!!!!!!!! Or an 1986 Topps Special. It dosent even have to be WB special only.

James image
    x
  • No political talk here...just a response to the original post. (Some of these threads really start to go off topic! ) PSA got back to me very quickly. I don't expect that this "special" will make anyone's day.

The new special will be posted within the next week. It should be a Set Registry Special for Vintage cards (pre-1972) for $10/card with a 10 Business Day Turnaround and must be postmarked by April 30th.

Sincerely,
    Peter Ma

Customer Account Manager
    :
    Barry, an independent collector

• Gee Barry,

You were wrong!! That does make my day.I am going to rush down to the local Post Office and send in a couple of thousand.image I am for PSA having a free grading day( maximum 100 cards),sort of along the lines of E-Bay's free listing day.image Does anybody out there know how big a discount the large submitters get,and how many cards they have to submit per year? Now,Don't everybody with that information step forward all at once.image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Thank you Barry, good work.

I actually kind of like it - sent in most of the commons for grading, now I can sent in the stars and get a fast turnaround.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

• << <i>Gee Barry,

You were wrong!! That does make my day.I am going to rush down to the local Post Office and send in a couple of thousand.image I am for PSA having a free grading day( maximum 100 cards),sort of along the lines of E-Bay's free listing day.image Does anybody out there know how big a discount the large submitters get,and how many cards they have to submit per year? Now,Don't everybody with that information step forward all at once.image

Vic >>

Vic, I know a couple of years ago at a Tri Star show i attended in Nashville the BIG dealers were getting same day service for $8 a card with a 100 card minimum, where as the public was paying $35 a pop for the same thing. That discrepancy still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, which is why I dont submit alot, I just buy the cards I want already graded which is more cost effective lately considering the lack of consistency from the graders lately.

Bill

• Bill,

Thanks,

Maybe a lot of us little guys should get together and submit regularily as a big guy.I am guessing that the big guys are getting submissions for $5 a card as a standard.I am just not sure about the # of submissions a year.Maybe I will do a little inquiring.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Did I not stste?

"Guys, don't hold your breath, the days of a $5 submission are history. New CEO, a revenue need, a cheapening of the product, the negative effect on market prices with existing slabs, all combine to eliminate these deals. Where is the incentive for the big boys to constantly submit 5 or 10 thousand per month at nearly the same rate as a guy who submits 25 cards per submission? His "edge" to make an extra buck on that slab has just been lost. Why should he continue to submit? The market still has to absorb all those extras that the collectors submitted and sell to help offset their own cards. Just Economics 101 "

This anticipated "special" just substantiated my statement.

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES