Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Graded PSA Cards on E-Bay

Is it just me? It seems as though the PSA graded cards I have been bidding on on E-Bay have been fetching crazy HIGH prices. I am particularily talking about mid-semi high grades (7's and 8's) that are freshly graded; not the ancient cerialed #'s that begin with a zero, witch no one seems to want except new collectors who have no clue and only buy holders/grades. I can't buy any of the following close to SMR value these days (Aaron, Mays, Mantle, Williams or Rose). I guess the people who have been intimidated by the scams are holding their cards and driving the market for those who have continued to purchase. WAKE UP, contrary to popular belief, it's a great time to sell!image

Comments

• I think I spelled "cerialed" wrong. Should have been "serialed" I think. I should have just put bar code, that is much easier to spell!image
  • 7 or Better...

I have found it is a great time to sell depending on what you are selling.....

I have done very well with Mid grade Pre 1950's (psa 4-6) lately and Rose seems to be very hot ....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    According to the last few auctions I ran, 1970 Kellogg's Football card lots are hotimage, 1964 Topps Giants lots are notimage
  • spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Hockey seems to being pretty well now. I am selling my first hockey card, a Lemieux RC in PSA 8, and I am pleased with the price it is getting. It is even about $20-30 more than I had expected. The last one sold for $167, mine is at $157 with a few hours to go. I am not sure of SMR, but again, I am pleased with its progress. I was looking at Gretzky RCs and was surprised to see how strong prices are for his cards, even in low grade. It's be an interesting lesson in another sport this week.
  • what are the main differences in quality with the newer psa graded cards and the older ones? ive noticed some of the older (starting with a 0 serial #) cards were graded much more lenient. i have a few 9's that might be 8's on a good day if resubmitted.
  • Two quick questions for this thread:

1. I've never sent a card in for re-holdering. When this is done, does PSA keep the original serial number assigned to the card? If not and one is concerned about a serial number beginning with "0", wouldn't the $5.00 fee solve that problem. I'm sure if you sent a card in for re-holdering, you wouldn't have to be worried that PSA would also re-grade your card in the process.

2. It was mentioned earlier above that some "new collectors are buying the case and not the card." If one focuses on the serial number that has been assigned to a card, isn't that individual doing the exact same thing?
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • First, I believe reholdering a card will retain the original cert #.

Second, great point regarding the recent slamming of early PSA graded cards. If you buy the card, not the holder, the cert # should not even be a factor. I'm looking at two 1960 Topps Baseball cards right now that have cert #s starting with "0". Both are graded PSA 8 with no qualifiers. One looks like a "9" to me and the other I'm surprised that it received an "8". I guarantee that I could say the same thing about any random 2 cards from one of my recent submissions.

That's my

image.

JEB.
  • The point I was making was that people who by holders do not care that they are purchasing lower grade cards that begin with the serial # 0 as the first digit. Have you ever broke out any of those and resubmitted them? I have and never once has the grade come back better, rarely is it even the same and almost always at least a grade lower. That is my experience, and I know for a fact it has been the experience of many others as well. image
  • pcpc Posts: 743
    the game is jacks or better not 7orbetter.
    the bell just rang so you better hustle back
    to class.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • I have been doing really well on Aaron and Mays cards over the last few months. I have been able to find several solid 8's at approximately 20% below SMR. Most 6's and 7's of the players you mentioned are going way over SMR. I think the lower price point for a qality card make them very attractive in this economy. SMR has not caught up with the lower (8 and below) grade market yet either. There are some great buys on 7's out there.

Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.