Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Where are those '79 Topps collectors?

Hammered on this auction

Oh well - title was screwed up, c'est la vive.
Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    youre vintage auctions? wow you learn something new everydayimage. any mint raw 76's for sale?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    For what it's worth... many of my auction sniper bids were jammed and didn't go through tonight... maybe you were cursed by the bug in an auction sniper site that I was...
  • Options

<< <i> any mint raw 76's for sale? >>

Sure, whichever ones weren't good enough to be submitted. image
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    I can't believe that price. Even with the title messed up, that's abominable - or amazing, depending on your perspective. Sorry to see that, Sol....
  • Options
    With the way ebay customers have been demanding of late, the customer will probably be complaining about the $3 S/H! lol - at least my business isn't based on ebay sales. Exhibit #1 of why you can't/shouldn't start everything at $9.99 - fortunately, I submitted the card for grading...

BTW I have no idea who the winning bidder is, so if it's anyone here unstand it's totally tongue in cheek!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    it's funny how some guys.........
  • Options
    Conversely, a 1971 Topps #390 Glenn Beckert in PSA 8 went for $75.00 last night (pop 10). Go figure.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>#417PSA >>

There is the reason. People searching PSA couldn't find the auction.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Sure, whichever ones weren't good enough to be submitted. >>

CrazySC...Thanks for the honesty...you RARELY hear that from a dealer....especially from the guys who sell both graded and raw.

John
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <1979 Topps Nolan Ryan Ldr. #417PSA 10 Gem>

Sol,

After a gazillion auctions...you shoulda known that you needed to seperate 417 from PSA by a space! You hammered yourself.

It's amazing anyone found it to bid on at all.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    it's clear he knows the listing was a mistake. nevertheless, you see all sorts of errors on listings and the results are usually not as extreme.
  • Options
    Large scan-booger didn't help...still amazing.
  • Options
    Sol had a Reggie auction with a number of funny errors...we joked about that one.

Johnimage
  • Options
    As I mentioned in the first post, the title was screwed up, though the EXACT same title was used to sell the same card type (PSA 10 - diff card) a month ago, and it sold for $86 I think. I post very little to ebay myself, which results in some errors.

Wonder what would happened if I'd caught it and cancelled the auction to relist it? Probably would have gotten an angry e-mail or two!
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    John,

I drove on Basilone Freeway this weekend while on a business trip. Had a totally different meaning this time...

Brian
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

Brian,

Cool....did you stop by Camp Pendleton? I would love go there one day and check it out. The funny thing is that I would have gone (to San Diego) in January if the Steelers would of went to the Super Bowl. We were notified that our season tickets were chosen in the lottery and we could buy two tickets. One problem though...we were notified on the Monday following their weekend loss to Tennessee.

John
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <Wonder what would happened if I'd caught it and cancelled the auction to relist it? Probably would have gotten an angry e-mail or two!>

I think 99% of the people who caught the issue ahead of time would've relisted...so it wouldn't be fair for anyone to lambaste you too much. It seems like nomatter what you do these days...someone's angry.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options

Sol,

Tough break. We all have had cards go for less than we were anticipating.I would have relisted the card if I had caught it.Alan is right when he said that at any rate,somebody would be mad.

John,

You should have bought the tickets and sold them on E-Bay.Never turn down super bowl tickets.Thay will always sell.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I wish I could have bid, at least $ 25.00 would still have been very nice.

I do look , about once a week or so, for 1979s in "graded cards" categorey via ebay. I try to find an off-brand at a steal ( I got a GEM company 10 for $ 11.00 delivered of a checklist..might be a legit 9 or 10 but barely has 90/10 centering on back ) might find an SGC, GAI, or BGS I really need at a good price. I did miss the AT Leader card you offered, my loss, but I 'm sure I don't feel as bad as you do.

Also, we could look in " titles and descriptions" via ebay too....
    .and I wonder if any sales are missed by sellers who use only the last two digits of the year.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    jaxxr,

That's why I search for (1984,84) instead of 1984 - it includes both options with one search...
  • Options
    Vic-

I could only have bought them if the Steelers went to the Super Bowl. They allocate a certain number to season ticket holders of each team. So the lottery winners of the Bucs and Raiders (the horror!) were able to buy them at face value.

John
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I think the $80+ range is probably right for this card. This may sound crazy but it would be your best option to email the high bidder and tell him that you messed up on the listing and offer to send him $20 if he would just forget about the auction and leave you positive feedback (so he can't hammer your feedback after the fact). It sounds dumb but it's better to lose $20 than to lose that really nice card for $10.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    By the way, I learned on my last 1979 submission to get out of the 1979 business, there's no money there. I had to sell my 9's for $10-$12 a piece and 9's are to tough to get because of the centering problems of 1979's. 1978's and before have been much more profitable.