Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Upgraded Mercury Dime set

Just upgraded one of my dimes I don't think I moved anywhere up or down.
I did this with the help of VAM 44
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat

Nice coin. The 34-D is tuffer than some of the so-called common dates.

Jon
  • Options
    Since this is an upgrade, do you have one for sale? image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an ethical delemia with the 1934-D MS64
    I have the dime but It was given to me by Tim to help me out, I will have to contact him first...
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    If you sell it, or even if Tim decides to sell it, please let me know how much the asking price is and a picture, if possible.

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I will keep you posted

• Options
    Hey Pat,
    Nice looking dime..... Congrats, and keep up the good work.

Walt image
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi PT,

That dime sure looks to have lots of luster and "eye appeal". Really nice dime. Congrats!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that coin as clean as the picture makes it look ? Nice coin. Maybe PCGS is just tough on 34D's.

Ken
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Pat:

You keep adding to your collection and getting farther away from me. How come--I shower regularly, shave, brush my teeth, change my clothes, etc. But still you keep getting farther away. More seriously, nice addition! I like how the Merc collectors keep adding and adding to their collections. So many days are days with a lot of red on the Merc sets! It's a kick to see collections progressing...though mine is progressing a tad more slowly than I would like...

Mark

Mark

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Pat,

Nice upgrade. Your 34-D has very nice eye appeal. There has been a lot of adding and upgrades lately. It is always good to see red all over the top 20.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    I still miss Red Fridays alot.......imageimageimageimageimage The anticipation was much more fun.....image

• Options
    Look at all the red in sets 12-20
    watch out ken here they come
    Timimage
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

So Ken, what exactly is "red Fridays"? I remember seeing references to it when I was still lurking, but do not know the details. Maybe you should post a thread to the Merc Heads so we will understand what it is and what the rules are. There are several new active guys in the Merc registry like me, who would probably love to "play"!

Tim, you are right, the "battle for the middle" of the first page is fierce. Lots and lots of red - everyday!

Good hunting,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• Options
    Pat, NICE!!!!!! My kind of dime, nice and white!
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne:

"Red Fridays" refer to the red flags on the set registry page when a set is added or up-graded. For instance, if you look now at numbers 12 through 17, all but one set (mine...sigh) has a red "updated" notice attached to it. You can see all the red that is showing.

The Merc crew is rather active and so frequently there were (and still are) days with a lot of red flags. I am unsure why the phrase includes "Fridays." Possibly it's because over the weekend many of us have more time to chat and post about Merc's.

The other aspect of collecting Mercs that you should be aware of is that it is considered very impolite to have your set pass either Pat's or my set without asking permission. Generally we grant permission once an apology Merc (FB, of course) has been sent to us...in advance... image

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Wayne:

Red Friday was what happened before you could insert your coins immediately in the registry. It usually took a day or two for the coin to be checked and then put into the registry. Usually most of the folks would put the cert number into thier set on Wednesday or early Thursday morning without saying anything to the other people and poof all additions would show up on Friday. Made for some interesting position changes and always brought on some nice discussions about all of the coins that showed up at the same time. Of course there was some friendly banter about dropped positions in the registry. This is also how some of the terms were coined by fellow members. One of the examples was the term of giving a Passing Signal as usually no one would say what was going to be entered.

Yep I still really miss the Red Fridays. image

Ken
  • Options
    Hey Tim.

I watch these guys at all times. Most will have to get some of the harder dimes but when they do I will be in deep Poo Poo and will fall like a Rock. Heck it just going to take a addition or two for a couple of guys, yourself for one, and the decent down the rankings will begin. I'm just waiting for this to happen. Anyway it is real cool watching the set progress. Sure wish I would have printed the Registry out when I first joined. The advancement of the sets has been quite amazing.

Ken
  • Options
    I am at work now but will let you all know what I will do with the updated dime when I get home.

• Options
    a2labmom,

If you want the dime just donate $25.00 to your local make-a-wish and I will send you the dime.
    It's getting late so I will post a pic tomorrow, but I will tell you that it is very nice.
    And I hope when you upgrade it you do the same.

Call it the dime that keeps helping othersimage

• Options
    Pat that jesture is Cool....Very Cool !!

Ken
  • Options
    Hi Pat,

I really like your style. You and Tim are both Class Acts!

Mark, Turn signals are on and your dime is in the mail. PM mailing address. imageimage
    Regards,

Wayne

• Options
    Very Nice, Pat.
    It's nice to be associated with such a nice group. image

I just upgraded my set, also, with the '25-P & '30-P that I recieved from Aaron. I think that he got robbed on the grades. Both coins should be at least one grade higher! image
    Can PCGS be tightening-up the standards on Mercs? I know that others feel that they are harder on Roosies than they are on Mercs. Could they be tryin' to even things up between the two series? image

Ken,
    The '25-P has 2 dents on the neck. One on the "Adam's Apple", and one about 2/3 back & a tad lower. The wife's got the good 'puter tied-up, so I can't download pictures right now. Hope to be able to tomorrow night.

Even with the 2 additions, my rear-view is still lit-up with the "tailgaters"! image
    I can see that it's goin to be tough stayin' ahead of you guys! Nice addtions, Guys. image
    Mark,
    It's been a while. Sounds like you're ready to make another move. I've been ahead of you for too long, now! imageimage

Don

Winged Liberty and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    Pat,

That is an awesome gesture! I will gladly donate to the Make-A-Wish here locally (even if there wasn't a Merc attached). I need to do some inquiries to see how to go about doing that here. I will let you know how my inquiries go.

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    As promised here is the pic of the 1934-D MS64 no bands the dime will keep giving.

• Options
    Beautiful dime. Thanks for the pic. image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    My wife called me today and mailed the dime to you already!image
    Hope you enjoy it and gives you good memories

Pat Vetter