Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How many sets do you work on at a time?

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am wondering how many different sets we "work on" at a time? Personally, I am always on the lookout for commemoratives (especially BTW's), Mercs (thanks to the group here, I probably look a lot harder for Mercs than would otherwise be the case), and clad dimes. That's not to say that if I saw something else I liked, I'd skip it, but I am diligently searching for coins for the sets I just mentioned.

So, currently I am working on 3 sets.

How about you--how many and what sets are you working on?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Mercury Dimes.

2. Toned Mercury Dimes.

3. Mercury Dimes I just want to see.

4. Winged Liberty Dimes.

5. Adolphs Pretty Little Ladies.

6. Hmmm.... Guess it must be Mercury Dimes as Nothing else can really hold My attention for a Long Spell.

Ken
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Depending on budget and where I am on a set, mostly one or two, but will dabble in more.

The main focus right now is Mercury Dimes, the next set is almost complete--Modern set 1950 to date, and the current third set is trying to complete some proof sets.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Complete Type, Copper Nickel Silver Type, and Modern Proof
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Canadian 5c - guess that means 16 total, though I'm only registered in five. The sixth will start as soon as I have my hands on my Belzberg coins.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    About 6, which is way more than enough to keep me broke.image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    I'm working on early Lincolns, Buffalos, and early commems. I tend to focus on one set for a few months, then pay attention to another. Right now, my Buffs have been getting all the attention, the commems have sat neglected for a while, and the Lincolns are just starting to get lonely.
  • Options
    1943 MS set
    Ike proof set
    Sac proof set
    Sba proof set

My favorite is an odds and ends set. So far it contains Indian themed coins,toned Jeffs and a coupke of state proof quarters. No rhyme or reason this set will never be finished. I just buy what really catches my eye. This set usually breaks my coin budget for other sets due to my lack of self control.
  • Options
    Good Question Mark,
    Now just working a few (5 or 6) circualted sets, upgrades mostly, and just the PCGS sets, just mercury dimes, unless I pickup a nice addition to the buffaloe's, but would rather sell that set (but wont give it away either) to better enhance the mercuries. I would like to start on a set of V-nickels (64's) one of these days, I kinda like those too.

To sum it up...just ONE set...Mercury Dimes.image

Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    A few too many! image

But I never expected to complete sets. image

Don

Walking Liberties and...
    Winged Liberties and...
    Gorgeous Georges and...
    Neat Commems(yes, even moderns) and...
    and...
    and...
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Complete U.S. Type, Copper-Silver-Nickel U.S. Type, 20th-century Type - business strike (complete), and Classic Commemorative Type... so far.
    Matt
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 - all the FE/IHC variations.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Actively Working On

20th Century Proof C/N/S type - 2 to finish
    Purple Toned Proof IHC - Will never finish, in fact just starting, with 4 acquired to date
    Walkers - This will be the world's finest set, and will take at least 10 years if ever.
    19th Century Basic Type. Still need 5 pieces.

Complete

Liberty 5c. Set Complete. Occassional upgrade will be acquired.
    Proof Franklins. Set Complete. Occassional upgrade will be considered.

Selling

Proof Mercury Dimes
    Proof Lincolns

Greg
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Primarily Working On
    1792-1964 Copper/Nickel/Silver Type Set
    20th Century Circualtion Strike Set (One coin left!)

Secondary Sets
    Proof Silver Washington Quarters

Complete (but might snag an upgrade if I saw it cheap)
    Ikes (proof)
    Ikes (mint state)
    SBA proof
    Modern Proof
    Modern Circ Strike
    1965/66/67 SMS
    1959 Proof Set

Thinking about
    20th Centruy Proof Set
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Actively working on:
    MS Mercury Dimes
    MS Statehood Quarters
    PR 3 Cent Nickels
    Birth Year sets
    Canadian Cents
    Canadian Nickels
    Canadian Dimes
    Canadian Quarters
    Canadian Halves
    Canadian Dollars
    One or more per country World Currency
    One or more per country World Coins

Guess that's enough for now. imageimage
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Way too many! I believe I currently have 8 sets listed, of which 2 are complete. I'm also working on another 4 sets that aren't listed. Two of the unlisted sets are the Circulated Type Set, with and without varieties. Both sets are around 70% complete. When they hit 80% I'll probably list them. A listed set, the Three Cent Silver, and an unlisted set Liberty Nickels in proof, are difficult to find (nice ones). They're taking a back seat right now.

Diversity is what keeps me interested. I've been a (type) collector all of my collecting life. When I do focus on a series, or set, I tend to pace myself. I guess it allows me to pass on coins I would otherwise buy just to fill a hole. (Which by-the-way I've done more times than I'd like to admit.) image

Interesting answers to a good question.
    Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently working on every coin that I can get my mitts on!image

Actually my main set is the Modern Roosevelts (65-date), with the mint state Statehood Quarters a close second, and then with the mint state Franklins at third.

I also dabble in about a dozen other sets, some not registered.

Anyone wear shorts when its 52 degrees out...I do! right Markimage

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I dont have the time or cash to "work on" more than one set at a time. After I sold my proof silver Washingtons, I went into a hibernation period with a "real work in progress"though I dabbled in MS silver Roosevelts, but lost interest as I could not find enough on the market at reasonable prices.

Recently I returned to the silver proof Washingtons but this time seeking rainbow and color toned coins. It's a "slower pace" work in progress as there isn't that much around at any one time to buy. But it is certainly intriguing when one good coin comes to market.

And by concentrating on "one set" at a time, I have all of my resources (cash) to target the one set.

cheers and best, alan mendelson