Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Commons Going Through the Roof on Ebay!

I'm about 78% into my 1971 Topps PSA 8 set, which is where I think I'm going to be for awhile based on the prices these are going for on Ebay. I just bid $22.50 on 3 commons (#31,78,215) and was overbid on everyone of them and the pops are not low - 35,17, & 25. The Kasco (#31) has been offered several times in the last couple of weeks and I've been overbid every time.

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    My guess is that if you are patient, you will definitely see them again. There is a common set building cycle where people start building the set and then give up on it, recycling back into the market the very cards you didn't get. They often sell for less than what you failed to get them for.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Or you can do like I do and find PSA 7 cards to be acceptable. On the commons, non high series, I am able to pick these up $5.00 to $7.00. Many look as nice as 8s. Because of the prices you just mentioned, I cannot afford a PSA 8 set. Good luck!
  • Options
    PSA 7 is a very respectable grade for this issue. There can be little downside to picking up PSA 7 commons at grading fee. These cards are very attractive and a safe bet.

I think we sometimes forget that a PSA 7 is a NEAR MINT card.

Rob...

Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    I would just wait out the storm....if you're passionate about putting the set together....save your money and buy when you feel comfortable....there are still vending boxes of 1971 and some vending cases still out there so there are going to be more graded...Patience is the key.....
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    I agree that 7's are nice, but I like the challenge of going for 8's or better. I'm actually thinking about changing my focus to 9's since there is less competition - and more reasonable prices (imho) with respect to the grade and pop.

But I definitely agree with last post - patience is the key right now. I've been collecting this set long enough to notice the ebbs and flows. There's a set on the registry (PhillipJr) that is about 20% complete and if memory serves me all the cards were bought around the same time and there have been no new additions for over a year - and he paid a premium at the time. All it takes is 1 or 2 bidders and commons can move from $17-19 to $22-24.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    "there are still vending boxes of 1971 and some vending cases still out there so there are going to be more graded"

Who has one? Where can I view one online? Has there ever been one on ebay or in a major auction? I have never seen or heard of anyone having an unopened case of 1971 topps vending. Wow.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I too wonder how much unopened is left of 71 Topps baseball. In the last couple of years, I have seen on a few occassions single wax, rack and cello packs offered for sale. I have never seen a full box nor have I seen a vending box. I do, however, see sellers on eBay from time to time selling graded 71s that are supposedly from a "recent vending find." I would like to make such a vending find myself! I couldn't imagine what a vending box would go for if one turned up.
  • Options
    I would talk to Dave and Adam's or Mark Murphy about vending boxes....I know a dealer who about 2 years ago came across a woman who had a 71 vending case....he got some very nice cards out there.....he sold many of the boxes .....I believe for around $2,500 a piece.....don't hold me to that price quote.....
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    <"I have never seen or heard of anyone having an unopened case of 1971 topps vending.">

About a year ago at the Tri-Star show in Houston, I was standing behind a dealer's table and some guy walks up and asks if we're interested in '71 cellos. He pulls a couple out of his pocket. One has Rose on top, the other has Carew. We (of course) asked if he had any more. He says, "Yeah."

Comes back in about 15 minutes later with a HUGE suitcase of several boxes of unopened 1971 Cello packs. All apparently from the second and third series. Must've been a case and a half. Said he has more in his mothers attic. He knew what they were worth and priced them higher that any of us wanted to pay. Wanted $250 for the two money packs, and $200/pack for the rest. But I think he sold them all to Bill Goodwin, if I'm not mistaken, for $180 a pack or some outrageous price.

Too many centering problems and chipping with '71 for me.

BTW, the Rose and Carew wouldn't have graded better than 8, if that.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Confucius say:

Card that go through roof may incure irrepairable corner damage and severe surface scratches.....................proceed with caution. If possible, use thatched roof.

BOTR
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I've only seen 3 vending boxes, all from the Mays and Clemente series in the last 20 years. Those were all broken up and graded by the dealer a year or so ago.
    Were the cello packs wrapped in cello and in a small individual box? I remember them that way and have seen a few lately.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i><"I have never seen or heard of anyone having an unopened case of 1971 topps vending.">

About a year ago at the Tri-Star show in Houston, I was standing behind a dealer's table and some guy walks up and asks if we're interested in '71 cellos. He pulls a couple out of his pocket. One has Rose on top, the other has Carew. We (of course) asked if he had any more. He says, "Yeah."

Comes back in about 15 minutes later with a HUGE suitcase of several boxes of unopened 1971 Cello packs. All apparently from the second and third series. Must've been a case and a half. Said he has more in his mothers attic. He knew what they were worth and priced them higher that any of us wanted to pay. Wanted $250 for the two money packs, and $200/pack for the rest. But I think he sold them all to Bill Goodwin, if I'm not mistaken, for $180 a pack or some outrageous price.

Too many centering problems and chipping with '71 for me.

BTW, the Rose and Carew wouldn't have graded better than 8, if that. >>

guess what?
    i bought the box and can tell you a carew psa 9 came from there although
    i didnt open the pack with that one.i did open 2 and came up with straight 8s.
    on ebay some of those packs got 750 per.later 5 were sold by someone
    through sportscards+.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.