Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

ANOTHER BROKEN SLAB!!!!!!

This is rediculous. I just started collecting graded cards about 2 months ago. I've bought about 25 cards in that time and 2 of them arrived at my door broken and worthless.

I will give credit to the first guy I bought from as he made good on the deal and sent me a comparable card. He sent it bubble wrapped in a paper envelope. Mediocre packaging at best.

The jury is still out on the second one. The one I received yesterday had no bubble wrap, just a sheet of paper around the card in a business size mailing evelope. I paid $2.50 for postage and insurance and he didn't even insure it!! We all know it costs less than a dollar to mail one card first class, maybe a little more if you add weight via sufficient packaging. I can't believe how cheap some of these sellers can be. I won't release the seller's name yet as I am hoping he will make good on the sale. He does have a great feedback rating so I'm sure he will BUT I would rather have the card in one piece.

If I was still at home I would submit a scan of the remnants. Maybe tonight.

By the way I received a second order yesterday. It consisted of 5 cards I bought from seinbigd on Ebay. They were packaged very nicely in a 400 count box. You could have dropped it off a tall building and it probably would have survived. The bonus is that the box was given to my son for his Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Thanks Steve.

This makes 2 out of 25 or so cards. Do I just have the worst luck or is this typical?
Working on 1962 mid grade Mars Attacks.

Comments

• Options
    I would say the worst luck.
    I have received over 200 PSA cards in various sizes of lots (but mainly one at a time) and this has never happened. And my cards were being shipped trans-Atlantic.

That said, one of the first cards I sold did arrive in pieces. I had wrapped it in paper towel and shipped it in a bubble mailer as I had seen others do, but it wasn't enough. I now pack the cards between two pieces of cardboard and I haven't had any problems. I would imagine that more than one card packed together would provide enough rigidity to make them very hard to break.

I don't know whether the lesson is that U.S. mail-carriers are more destructive than Irish ones ...
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    Combination of bad luck and cold weather. When I lived in Nebraska I had several slabs show up cracked during the winter. But, generally speaking, a bubble mailer and decent wrapping will do the trick.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I sold a couple thousand PSA cards on EBay and none have arrived cracked. I just ship them directly in a bubble mailer (with no extra padding) that I purchase from parrothead on EBay. I live in warm weather so I'm not sure if that helps my shipping.
  • Options
    We sent & received hundreds & hundreds of cards.
    Total broke: 3 Total Lost: 2

If someone paids for insurance - we always come through.
    I would give the seller some time to make amends.

Most of them do - don't give up just yet!!

Welcome!

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Every single time that I have received a cracked slab -- it is always easily attributable to a seller who does not package his cards properly. Getting refunds is sometimes very easy -- sometimes not so. But it isn't hard to put some cardboard around both sides of the PSA holder and send it in a tight bubble-wrap. I've never had a cracked slab in a shipment that was prepared properly.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I haven't given up yet.

I will say weather shouldn't be an issue on my end as I live in the Sunshine State.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller. Fingers crossed.

Here is another issue though. I paid for insurance but the seller did not get insurance through the post office. Should I assume when people do this that they are self insuring themselves or just trying to rip me off. I guess my question will be answered if and when he responds.

Is self insuring shipments a common practice? Do any of you do this?
  • Options
    I've never self insured something, that is stupid on the sellers part because they have no proof of anything. I've heard of it happening though.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<Here is another issue though. I paid for insurance but the seller did not get insurance through the post office. Should I assume when people do this that they are self insuring themselves or just trying to rip me off. I guess my question will be answered if and when he responds.>>

Unless the seller CLEARLY states in either the auction or in communication with you that he is self-insuring, then you should assume he ripped you off if you did not receive insurance.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I've sold many PSA slabbed cards on eBay and always...always.....always use two nice sturdy peices of cardboard on both sides....inserted into a bubble mailer.
    Never had one break during shipping.
    Some of these dealers just don't get it yet......simply throwing the PSA slab into a envelope or bubble mailer by itself is not good shipping standards.

I always ship how I would like cards shipped to me.

Hopefully this dealer will make good on this card....good luck
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    I have had hundreds of cards come to my house without a problem until recently. I just had my first card/holder damaged. The PSA slab was snapped clean in half. When I turned the bubble mailer upside down the top half of the holder (and a bunch of plastic rubble) fell out of the envelope. No bubble mailer would have stopped whatever happened to this card. It was only a $5 card but it demonstrates the importance of secure packing being worth the time and money.

Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I too have received one PSA card in the mail where the slab was broken in half. The card was mailed inside a "000" size Bubble Mailer (smallest mailer you can get a PSA card into). The holder was also slightly warped. The outside surface of the envelope was also damaged. When I showed the damaged contents and envelope to the clerk at the post office, he looked at it and immediately knew what happened. He was certain that someone tried to put it through a scanning machine and the envelope was too large and it got stuck. That would also explain the heat damage.

When I mail a card, I use a "0" size Bubble Mailer and wrap the individual card with more bubble wrap. I've never had a complaint of the holder or card getting damaged from any of my customers.
  • Options
    We ship every single card we sell in a 400 ct (or appropriate) box - we ship out thousands of items, and problems are VERY rare. We charge a few cents more than the cheapest people out there, but for the superior service we're had very few complaints.
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    For up to four cards, I put the cards in a size 000 bubble mailer, and then I put that inside a size 0 bubble mailer. More than 4 cards, I always use a box. I have have mailed hundreds of these and never had a problem. For the more valuable cards, I place the bubble mailer inside a small box. I have only received 1 broken PSA card, it was in a standard business envelope with no protection. Since it was an inexpensive freebie that a regular buyer threw in with his check, I just thanked him and tossed the card.
  • Options

I would give the seller some time as Jeremy suggested. I would e-mail the guy and ask for an explaination on the insurance.I am sure that E-Bay frowns on the insurance scam that this guy is pulling.I have bought many cards and never had one broken.

Zeppo,

What part of N Fla are you located in?

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
  • Options
    Oops!

Tipem - I live in Palm Coast and work in Jacksonville. Are you from here as well? I believe the Virtualizard is somewhere much farther south.
  • Options
    Many sellers use "insurance" as a way to pad their profit. It's pretty unsavory. Most of them don't handle it too well when you mention it to them, either. I had a big ebay seller (who might be a regular contributor here) give me the "insurance" option for an additional $2. When I got an uninsured cheapo bubble envelope I complained, and the response was "if you care so much about $2 don't ever bid on my auctions again or I'll cancel your bid." Thanks man, way to provide customer service!

Dave
  • Options
    This past year I have used the best mailing system in the world - Dude! Thanks again for taking care of my auctions. I highly recommend him.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Oh boy! Where do I start?

First, I'll say that I have received close to 2000 PSA graded cards via USPS, FEDEX, UPS, a few other acronyms I can't remember, and even a few hand delivered (those are the best). I have been very lucky to have never received a damaged card/holder (although I had one purchase of a few raw cards several years ago that arrived in a plastic bag - damaged by the USPS).

I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with it. Zeppo, you are correct. I do live a bit south of you - Lake Worth, FL to be exact (a little south of West Palm Beach). I have received packages recently that have steamed up holders due to the temperature change I'm sure. But nothing ever damaged. I guess you just have had some bad luck there.

As far as the insurance goes, as a seller I offer it on every item that I sell. It is a major inconvenience for me to stand in line at the post office, but if a buyer adds it I will always provide it. I have received so many cards uninsured, where I've paid the extra for insurance, that I'm tempted to start emailing the sellers telling them that I never received the card and see what they have to offer. I guess I'm too honest though. I can't bring myself to do it. One of the worst in recent memory is the guy that I won 2 separate graded card auctions from. He charged $5 s&h each and insurance was not available. I requested a combined shipping total and he never responded. I sent payment (with $10 s&h included) and requested a refund for the difference and told him that I expected the package to be insured for that amount. I received the cards about 2 weeks later in a bubble mailer with $1.06 postage on it and no insurance. No note inside, no refund, and no explanation. Needless to say, this seller is now avoided like the plague.

Postal insurance not only protects the buyer, it also protects the seller. I sell a lot of cards for $10 - $20 and insure them for $50 (the maximum you can get at the lowest level from the USPS). I figure, if something does happen, I could even stand to make a profit on it. If I ever had to make a claim, I would instantly refund the buyer the total amount paid and wait for my $50 to come in. image

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>I have received so many cards uninsured, where I've paid the extra for insurance, that I'm tempted to start emailing the sellers telling them that I never received the card and see what they have to offer. >>

I think this is a good idea. Maybe don't push it all the way to getting a refund, but just enough to make the seller squirm image

<< <i>Postal insurance not only protects the buyer, it also protects the seller. I sell a lot of cards for $10 - $20 and insure them for $50 (the maximum you can get at the lowest level from the USPS). I figure, if something does happen, I could even stand to make a profit on it. If I ever had to make a claim, I would instantly refund the buyer the total amount paid and wait for my $50 to come in. image. >>

I've heard it takes 3+ months to get a refund... even longer for the measly $50 claims.

Justin
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options

Zeppo,

I live on Amelia Island.Turn on your private messenger and I will give you the name of a good and honest contact in your city.PM me when you get it turned on.

Vic

Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options

<< <i>

Postal insurance not only protects the buyer, it also protects the seller. I sell a lot of cards for $10 - $20 and insure them for $50 (the maximum you can get at the lowest level from the USPS). I figure, if something does happen, I could even stand to make a profit on it. If I ever had to make a claim, I would instantly refund the buyer the total amount paid and wait for my $50 to come in. image

JEB. >>

In my opinion, insurance of $50 is a total waste. All they do is stamp the item. there is no tracking and no way to know if the item was delivered. If the item is damaged, perhaps you can get the money back in 3 months after several hours of work. But you only get the value of the item that you can prove, not $50. If it is lost, it probaby even takes more time to do the investigation and get the money. It is easier just to pay for the item.

JEB, if you have had over 2000 items without damage, wouldn't it make more sense to have saved the $2,600 that $50 of insurance on 2000 items would cost , than to have had that insurance just to potentially keep from being out $20????
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    Buckwheat,

I didn't say that I purchase insurance on every card I buy. In fact, I never insure a purchase that is under $100 unless the seller requires it. So we're talking 1% or less of my purchases have been insured. I've probably spent less than $20 on insurance in the past year.

So yes, I agree it would make sense to save the $1.30 each time. I regularly have buyers who pay the $1.30 insurance fee for $10 cards though. I was just stating that I have not received a damaged card (insured or not). Those were my points.

JEB.
  • Options
    Slightly related to this topic -

Fortunately, I have received every purchase that I have made with no damage. I just wish that the large dealers/card shops would start shipping their packages with more anonymous or less blatant return address labels.

The mail carrier that delivers my mail every day obviously knows by now that I purchase sports collectibles through the mail. So do many employees at the post office (I know many by name now and have even talked to one about collecting cards when he noticed the return address label). I believe that there is no reason to put this information on the packages that you ship. For example (by the way, I'm just making this one up), why couldn't "Super Sports Cards & Collectibles" place return address labels that say "SSC&C" on the package? There is no need to advertise when sending a package containing such items.

JEB.
  • Options
    Good point Jeb, I never thought of that. As for the $10 shipping on 2 cards, I've just about had it with Ebay sellers raping the buyers on shipping charges. Under one of my Ebay names, I sell a lot and I charge $1.50 for shipping and with that total I pay for my bubble mailer (12 cents from parrothead), shipping (60 cents) and most of my ebay fees on something cheap. These sellers who charge $3-$5 to ship 1 card uninsured are being ridiculous. I've come to the point where I just don't bid on sellers auctions that charge that much for shipping just on the principle of the matter (unless I REALLY need the card). I also make a point to email sellers that charge a outrageous amount for shipping and tell them something like "I really wanted the card you have up on Ebay but your shipping price is ridiculous so I'm not going to bid". That generally gets a nasty response from the seller but if everyone did that, they would get the point. Plus I just get a kick out of making somebody mad.
  • Options
    Wabbitwax,

I've gotten the same nasty response from several sellers telling me: "If you don't like the s&h charges, don't bid any more." Great way to do business, right? image

I just keep a list of these sellers and I don't ever bid on their items again.

JEB.
  • Options
    Update on my original message.

This seller said that if I return the card he would send me a check. I put it in the mail yesterday. I have no reason to disbelieve him.
  • Options
    My one experience with a cracked slab involved a 1970 Kelloggs 3-D that was horizontally split in half across the center of the slab. With such a split, someone must have put force on the card with the equivalence of stepping on it. It was not the packaging. The card, however, was undamaged.

Even though I paid for insurance on the card, the seller said it would be a hassle for me to go through the insurance claim process and wait for the refund, and so on.

He sent a refund of my entire cost upon return of the card (and slab fragments). Ive purchased many cards from him since and will continue to do so.

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>

I just keep a list of these sellers and I don't ever bid on their items again.

JEB. >>

JEB-
    $3.85 is the cost for priority insured
    boxed mail.
    a good deal for quick and somewhat protected product
    delivery.(imo)
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Yeah $3.85 is appropriate for a $100 card but is it necessary for people like dsl to charge $4 for $10 card. It's stupid and bad for business. He sells more than I do though so he must be doing something right.
  • Options
    I just got a refund via Paypal. So I guess he was self insuring himself or at least made good on his mistake. I guess I can't complain other than I still would have rather had the card in one piece to begin with. All I'm out is the return shipping fee. Fair enough.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I ship everything with delivery confirmation. I charge $2.00 for graded cards which inludes a bubble mailer, extra bubble wrap around the card, the actual shipping charge and the delivery confirmation. And it costs me almost exactly $2.00. For $.55 I get a tracking number that shows when and where the card was received.

Insurance is totally up to the buyer in my opinion. When I buy an expensive card, I'll get the insurance. A cheap card I just stick with delivery confirmation. I've had more instances of cards never arriving than cards being damaged. The wrap inside the bubble mailer just isn't enough. Either cardboard or extra bubble or both is needed.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I recently started getting postal insurance through a third-party called u-pic. (See www.u-pic.com.) I was spending 10 minutes in line practically every day at the post office, and u-pic saves me lots of time. I just send them an xcel report every week on what I've sent that I wanted insured, and they bill me at the end of the month.

I, too, have sent and received hundreds of cards through the mail, with very few problems. (The biggest problem I've had is that cards sent to me in ultra-pro pages often slip out by the time I get them.) Only twice did the post office damage cards: once when I was buying, and once when I was selling. The first time I made a claim, it was for $27, and it was such a hassle that it wasn't worth making the claim. The second time I didn't bother, I just refunded the customer's money.

For insuring small numbers of packages, u-pic's rates are 85 cents per $100 of coverage; or 60 cents per $100 if you use delivery confirmation. For large numbers of packages, it's cheaper than that. I generally get the delivery confirmation for packages worth over $100. Now I stand in line only twice a week or so.

I haven't had to make a claim yet, but I can't imagine that it would be any more painful than the post office. My only reservation about using u-pic is that people buying from me might be annoyed to find only stamps on the envelope after paying for insurance. I try to make it clear in my ebay ads and on my website that I use a third-party for insurance--and to expect only stamps on the envelope--but I anticipate that someone will complain about it sometime.

U-pic, by the way, asks that you do not indicate what's inside the package anywhere on the outside.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

You should probably include something in your package to indicate that you do have 3rd party insurance coverage. I buy a lot of cards that are delivered by the USPS and it is frustrating to pay for insurance and receive a package with no evidence that it is insured. Listing it in your auction isn't enough. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the specific details in each auction that I bid on and I surely don't remember what was written in the description a week or two later when I receive the cards.

Yesterday I received a package of 6 graded cards from a major seller. Inside, he included a printed disclosure of his 3rd party insurance coverage that explained how the coverage worked, listed the limits for different methods of shipping, and identified the company that provides the insurance. I didn't request insurance (he included it at no extra cost and let me know it in the email sent after the auctions were won) and I think it is a good customer service policy to include something like this if you are not going to provide insurance through the PO.

JEB.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    VirtualLizard,

That's an excellent idea, and I will start doing it. Glad I posted!

Mike