Home Q & A Forum

Collectors and AT

Thanks again for taking the time to read all these. Your insight is valuable. image

There's been much talk and angered tempers over the Artificial Toning topic, causing some normally rational people to not be so. We've seen all types of toning posted on the boards, some obvious, some not. By many accounts even the grading services cannot catch them all. It seems to be getting worse as more and more coins are being AT'd. If anything, what can the small guy collector do to protect himself in your opinion?

Also please advise as to the company that makes your body bags. I'd like to invest. image

Got Morgan?

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    AT is not a new issue. Artificial toning has been around for more than 50 years. I remember AT coins from when I was a teenager in the early 1960s.

PCGS has been dealing with the problem on a continual basis since we opened our doors in 1986. I remember one deal from 1987 where a guy sent in about 80 BTW and Wash-Carver halves and they were all blue. We body bagged the deal and a month later we saw the exact same coins and they were green. I guess he figured that if blue didn't work he'd try green.

The best thing you can do to protect yourself from AT coins is to buy PCGS graded coins (OK, so I'm biased). We really take the issue seriously and our graders have lots of experoence in telling the difference between real toning and AT.