Home Q & A Forum
Options

Grading of Lincolns

David- This was my question.

I went 4 for 4 on NGC crossovers in 2001 (all Lincolns). I also went something like 3 for 4 on upgrades of PCGS Lincolns (including SVDB, 11-D, and a 23-S). I have bought and sold hundreds and hundreds of PCGS Lincolns over the last few years. In the last 6 months I took the best 4 out of 10 NGC Lincolns I had and submitted them for crossover and went 0 for 4. I also submitted 6 Lincolns for upgrade and went 0 for 6 even though I regularly see lesser coins in the grade I was trying to achieve. It seems to me that my eyesight has not detiorated....but something has changed as far as grading of Lincolns at PCGS. I know you have responded to similar questions before....but I find the answers unsatisfactory. Please explain what you believe to be happening. Thanks, Marc

This was your answer:

Your submissions are too few to draw any statistical conclusions. Try a few more times. If your still have "bad" results, then we'll talk.

I find your answer unsatisfactory. If you want to talk about statistics and mathematical probabilities with me....I can call you up and we can discuss it...but I am confident that my educational background would suffice to back up my understanding of that subject matter.

If my submissions were random......you would be right. It is too few to draw conclusions from. But.....they are not random at all. Rather....they (my submissions) are carefully selected coins that based on my experience and expertise are equal to the standards (in the case of crossover attempts)......or above (in the case of regrade)...the grading standards that PCGS has set and utilized in the past. You avoid the question about why Lincolns are graded so much tougher at PCGS now than in 2001. You can't convince me or others that it isn't so. I would much rather have you explain why it is happening...or what is causing it to happen (in your honest opinion)....rather than tell me and others that it isn't happening. Thanks, Marc
Marc

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    I guess we'll have to disagree since you say I can't convince you or others that what I say is really what I believe. I can tell you that we grade 70,000 coins a month and 10 coins is not statistically relevant. And you looking at them does not alter this fact since most professional coin graders have trouble being consistent even to themselves more than 80% of the time...since you're not a professional coin grader... and since owners of coins almost always have at least a minor prejudice about their own coins.

In addition, I have a lot of trouble dealing with nebulous statements such as standards are tighter (or looser) than they were in 2001 (or 1999, or 1995, etc.) I can, however, deal with actual examples. if you see me at a coin and you show me specific examples, I can give you my specific opinion.