Home Q & A Forum
Options

Sending in coins for grading.

David- I have 2 questions regarding submitting coins. I know they have been answered before, but the results I am getting make me feel it necessary to get clarification.

1) If I submit PCGS graded coins for regrade (sent in while still in PCGS holder).....do the graders know they are in for regrade? Or do they come to them exactly the same as if I had sent them in raw? The reason I ask is obvious. If they have any way of knowing because of the invoice....or the way they are put in flips after crack out (by PCGS)....it could influence the grader...who would be able to tell that perhaps the coin is borderline MS64/MS65....and if he/she can tell the coins are in for regrade (rather than submitted raw)....it could influence the decision to grade the coin MS64 since they would have an idea that is what it is already graded (if in for regrade). They would of course be playing it safe...but I would be out money...and not feeling like I had a fair chance. I hope you follow my question.

2) I went 4 for 4 on NGC crossovers in 2001 (all Lincolns). I also went something like 3 for 4 on upgrades of PCGS Lincolns (including SVDB, 11-D, and a 23-S). I have bought and sold hundreds and hundreds of PCGS Lincolns over the last few years. In the last 6 months I took the best 4 out of 10 NGC Lincolns I had and submitted them for crossover and went 0 for 4. I also submitted 6 Lincolns for upgrade and went 0 for 6 even though I regularly see lesser coins in the grade I was trying to achieve. It seems to me that my eyesight has not detiorated....but something has changed as far as grading of Lincolns at PCGS. I know you have responded to similar questions before....but I find the answers unsatisfactory. Please explain what you believe to be happening. Thanks, Marc
Marc

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Marc...

One more time...regrades are cracked out and sent into the grading room raw. The graders do not know they are regrades.

Your submissions are too few to draw any statistical conclusions. Try a few more times. If your still have "bad" results, then we'll talk.

David