Home Q & A Forum

Recent thread re: coin doctors - David, what's your opinion??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dave:

There has been alot of interest recently in what PCGS's response should be towards known coin doctors. Several questions come to mind. Does PCGS know who they are? Are there doctoring methods that cannot be detected? Are you considering retracting your guarantee re: doctored coins?? Do you market grade doctored coins?? Does PCGS care, as long as the submissions keep rolling in (I know you do - just repeating a line of thought in the forums)?? What would be the problem with putting a "date graded" on the insert??

Since some of us are concerned and thinking of simply bagging it, selling the collection and collecting something else, your thoughts would be appreciated.
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    We are very concerned about coin doctors. They are hurting other collectors and dealers, they hurt the market, and they ruin some great coins. I have always been a big militant on this issue. We do care about the doctors...it's not a matter of turning a blind eye as long as submissions keep rolling in. Remember, we have a grading guarantee and have to buy back coins that are grading mistakes.

Now that I am again very involved with PCGS we will be taking an even more aggressive stand on the doctoring issue.