Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NCS and questionalble toning on an 1818 large cent

Has anyone here submitted anything to them? There is a really nice 1818 large cent (with an incredible die crack to boot) in a PCI holder that I'm REALLY, REALLY interrested in, but I just can't bring myself to pay $350 for it if it can't be fixed. The toning appears to be an orange color and I'm not sure what would cause it. Copper seems to be a very difficult metal to take care of.

Coppercoins: I'd really like to hear from you and any other copper experts on these boards.

Edited to include:

DOH!! I guess a picture would help image

El-linko

Comments

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I think i would stay away from that coin, If PCI knew enough to put it in a Red label slab then there must really be somthing wrong with the coin, but i'm not a copper collector so thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth I would hold off until you find a better one. The 1818 was well represented in the famous Randall Hoard, so a beautiful unc can be found after looking through a bunch of specimens.
  • Options
    I would pass on it.

Brian.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Copper is really hard to "conserve" and end up with a original looking coin.
    I would pass.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes I would pass on this one also. I think the neat part about this date is that it is readily available with original surfaces and they look great. Here's a picture of my 1818 N-10 Randall hoard coin graded pcgs ms64rb. mike image
    1. Options
      If it actually lots like it does in the scan STAY AWAY. Coin looks striped and badly recolored. 1818 and 1820 N-13's from the Randell hoard are fairly easy to come by and I would wait for a better one than this. (Both the 1818 and 1820 pieces are known for that great arc crack through the stars and it is even more pronounced on the 1820 N-13.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file