Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the Federal Coin Repository?

I have a 3 coin set of CC Morgans from the Federal Coin Repository. They are in a black velvet box individually sealed in plastic holders. They come with a certificate of authenticity.
They are very nice coins. Possibly DMPL quality.

Do you all think they are worth more in the set or broken out and slabbed?
Never doubt that a small group of determned people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    A complete guess, but anything like that (modern packaging with an old coin) with a COA enclosed is likely a private company. If that's the case, the COA and packaging are worthless numismatically speaking.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity I did a search on the Federal Coin Repository - only thing I could come up with was that the FTC took them to court back in '92 - '93. Something must have been going on that was not strictly above board.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Is the Federal Coin Repository for AH Kennedy's Russ's house??? image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hey Marty,

Just wanted you to know that I have one I'll be submitting that HAS TO grade lower than yours. It is the doggiest AH I've ever seen. Your reign as pop one king will soon be coming to an end.image

Russ
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I can find is that the FTC took, "Federal Coin Repository," to court in August, 1993. Since there's absolutely nothing else that Google, Yahoo, FindIt, nor Altavista can find, I am assuming the FTC won and the, "Federal Coin Repository," was more or less put out of business. They could easily have come back since then under a different name.

There are a number of companies out there whose names are misleading as official entities with the government. You gotta look close on some of them to find the BS in their ads.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted you to know that I have one I'll be submitting that HAS TO grade lower than yours. It is the doggiest AH I've ever seen. Your reign as pop one king will soon be coming to an end. >>

Come on, you know there is no way you will spend $15 on a doggie AH...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Federal Coin Repository was owned a Direct Marketer in NYC in the late 80's early 90's. He was the first to market the One Troy Pound American Eagles Replica's in 1986 for $299.00 each. He struck a limited edition 10,000 12 troy ounce coins privately and advertised in National Syndicated Papers. Many followed his lead in the 90's because of the huge profit margins of $4.50 silver X 12 oz plus minting fees ($77) selling at $299.00.

The case was more about the name of the company as the ads looked very Gov' t Official and were misleading.

Same coins sell for $99 nowadays in CoinWorld or Numismatics News by a few leftover players today. As far as the CC Dollars, they might be GSA Treasury Hoard coins as I recall.
    Bob Green
    bgreen@parkavenumis.com
    800-992-9881
    Visit us at www.parkavenumis.com
  • Options
    thanks,
    I knew someone here would know something!
    Never doubt that a small group of determned people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
  • Options
    They also used to run morgan dollar "found in old vaults" scams as well selling XF/au Morgans at $50 each as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file