Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Jester's Challenge #10

Welcome, Darkside Collectors (and all others who wish to participate)!!!

Inspired by others here on the Darkside forum, including Severo, Rublevik, Ajaan, Cacheman, Aethelred, Mongoose, Wybrit, LordMarcovan, Askari, Shirohniichan and many others, I'd like to start what I hope will turn into a great learning experience for all of us. The above-mentioned members, and many others, have done a formidable job in sharing with us many fascinating and historically important coins. Since that's one of the greatest pleasures to me, I'd like to try to follow in that time-honored tradition and submit for your pleasure and entertainment some world coins I've come across in my short lifetime.

I will pick out a coin on a regular basis, and post it along with the challenge to you to name the coin, its provenance, denomination, metallic content, mintage, any distinguishing characteristics or noteworthy features, and its value. The more information, the better. I'd like as many people as possible to participate, regardless of how little knowledge you might have on the subject. I appreciate comments on every aspect of the coin, including its history, or its role in human history, or info on similar coins in its series, etc. I myself don't assume to know 1/100 of what you collectively know, hence my challenge to all of you to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Hopefully this exercise will encourage thought, discussion, and primarily more friendship.

Thanks for your participation!!!

Here goes the tenth selection:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I wish somebody would answer this one, because I have no info on it at all. It's obviously proof and silver, but beyond that I'm in the DARK.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • This one is not in my Krause?????????????? The Krause jumps from 1970 to 1998 for this country. KM#47 for the Democratic Republic / Congo ( formerly known as Zaire ) has the same obverse as this coin but the reverse is a ship.
    Bill

09/07/2006
    Also the coin is far from clear as to the year minted. I'm only guessing 2000, but I have no idea.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Just from looking at the coin I would guess it's a commemorative coin from the Democratic Republic of Congo that was minted for Princess Diana's visit to help promote the fight against AIDS in Africa.

Cheers
    G
    ttt

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Here's one for sale.

congo coin

Edited to add: KM #63 I know that was kind of cheating, but this was just bugging me. Sorry if I broke the spirit of the original question. I also just saw the last ttt was in 2004image

• << <i>Here's one for sale.

congo coin

Edited to add: KM #63 I know that was kind of cheating, but this was just bugging me. Sorry if I broke the spirit of the original question. I also just saw the last ttt was in 2004image >>

image I didn't even look at the date the thread was created! Still a very pretty coin!
    ~Debbie~
    From the auction: "What a terrific looking coin. KM#63, Congo Democratic Republic 5 Francs (Proof). Weight: 28.7500 g. Composition: Copper-Nickel. Subject: Lady Diana -Visit to India. Obverse: Lion. Reverse: Lady Diana at left, Taj Mahal at right, cameo of Queen Mother top center. Reeded Edge. Size: 38 mm. Year 2000. Thank you for looking and for considering LJR Coins."

So he reports that his coin for sale is copper-nickel. And unless I'm a total idiot, my coin is silver and not copper-nickel. So what do I have?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD