Home Q & A Forum

What does PCGS do to protect collectors who unknowingly buy slabs that have been tampered with?

I am talking about situations where for example you purchase a coin on eBay and after it is paid for, you receive a slab that has been tampered with. Does PCGS protect the buyer? And what does it do to ensure these people are tracked down and caught?

I have recently encountered this possible situation. But rather than throw my money to the wind, I called PCGS and never received a response. The seller later admitted the slab might have been tampered with. Nevertheless, I never paid for the coin.

Don't you think protecting the buyer against scam artists is crucial? Thank you for your repsonses!!

Whitewashqtr
HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Whitewash...If a person tampers with a PCGS holder, i.e. switches a coin, the insert, or whatever...and then sell the coin, that person is committig fraud. We had a big fraud case in 1990, and the perp, Gary Fernandez, got 46 months in prison. We just recently had a tampering case with PSA, our card grading service. The two perps in that case are now awaiting sentencing (see the PSA web-site for details.)

If you have a problem, please contact us. We pass the information on to the FBI, and they seem to be very good at putting crooks in jail.

If you have a specific problem, contact Sandy Locker at PCGS customer service and give her the details.