Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jester's Challenge #2

Welcome, Darkside Collectors (and all others who wish to participate)!!!

Inspired by others here on the Darkside forum, including Severo, Rublevik, Ajaan, Cacheman, Aethelred, Mongoose, Wybrit, LordMarcovan, Askari, Shirohniichan and many others, I'd like to start what I hope will turn into a great learning experience for all of us. The above-mentioned members, and many others, have done a formidable job in sharing with us many fascinating and historically important coins. Since that's one of the greatest pleasures to me, I'd like to try to follow in that time-honored tradition and submit for your pleasure and entertainment some world coins I've come across in my short lifetime.

I will pick out a coin on a regular basis, and post it along with the challenge to you to name the coin, its provenance, denomination, metallic content, mintage, any distinguishing characteristics or noteworthy features, and its value. The more information, the better. I'd like as many people as possible to participate, regardless of how little knowledge you might have on the subject. I appreciate comments on every aspect of the coin, including its history, or its role in human history, or info on similar coins in its series, etc. I myself don't assume to know 1/100 of what you collectively know, hence my challenge to all of you to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Hopefully this exercise will encourage thought, discussion, and primarily more friendship.

Thanks for your participation!!!

Here goes the second selection:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    That was a tough one (for me anyway). Poland 1831 Ducat. 3.5 g .986 gold.

Nice coin, jester!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Netherlands

1831 ducat

gold 3.5000g .983 gold, .1106 oz AGW
    diameter = 21.8mm, thickness = 1.3mm

this coin was minted (with only minor changes) from 1586 until 1937.

mintmark of St. Petersburg (eagle on obverse at 1:00), with a mintage of 1 million.
    was also issued this year in Utrecht (cadaceus), with a mintage of 411 thousand.

obverse legend:CONCORDIA.RES PAR.CRES.HOL
    =CONCORDIA RES PARvae CRESc_unt HOLlandiae
    ="Through concord little things grow - Holland" (Union is strength)

reverse legend:MO: AUR:REG:BELGII.AD LEGEM.IMPERII
    =MOneta AURum:REGent:BELGII AD LEGEM IMPERII
    ="Gold Coins of the Belgian Provinces, Conforming with the law of the Imperial"
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Spiny! In fact, these are very difficult to come by in such condition. I've never seen a better example; virtually all are badly bent and worn.

So it looks like we have a difference of opinion as to what this is! Way to strike up some controversy. I wonder what Rublevik will say? Clue: this issue had a very short-lived mintage.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Well, if I got it right it was purely by chance that I didn't look at the Netherlands...

How do you tell the St. Petersburg minted Netherlands coin from the Polish version?
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, Spiny! In fact, these are very difficult to come by in such condition. I've never seen a better example; virtually all are badly bent and worn.

So it looks like we have a difference of opinion as to what this is! Way to strike up some controversy. I wonder what Rublevik will say? Clue: this issue had a very short-lived mintage.

imageimageimage >>

Okay, I'll bite. I'm away from my references just now and relying on feeble memory (so cut me some slack if I'm wrong). I believe the eagle on the ducat is a Polish eagle, not Russian. 1830-31 marks the uprising of the Congress Kingdom of Poland and subsequent repression by Tsar Nicholas I. Poland was post 1831 even more tightly controlled by Russia to suppress Polish nationalism and revolutionary activity. A strict policy of Russification was implemented and the coinage became binational with value stated in terms of both the Polish zloty and Russian ruble. Later, I will post images.

This coin of jester's is struck by the Poles during the uprising.
  • Options
    Excellent historical account, Rublevik, as always. Thanks for chiming in with your 2 Kopieks worth!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    I stand corrected. I assumed it was the St. Petersburg, as I was sure it wasn't Utrecht. Totally overlooked any other possibilities.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    I certainly won't hold it against you, Kuhli! I very much appreciate your spirit in the whole affair; I want people to participate, through conjecture and guessing if necessary. I'd like to also delve into other related areas of coinage, not just the mintage details of the coin itself. Thanks for playing!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1jester:

This is a great activity with some very impressive coins (especially the one in this post). You did a terrific job putting these pictures/scans together. I should have tuned in earlier...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks a lot, Coinkat. And you're not too late at all; it's only the first day of the games.image More to come.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ttt

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Ah Jester - Glad to see the challenges return!!! Even if I don't know the answer, I always learn something from the experts on this forum. (Plus I get to see many different coins)
    Shep
  • Options
    yes I agree - beautiful coin, but I have no clue.

• Options
    My kinda coin jester image

By the way - I need that year - if ya ever decide you don't want it anymore image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting ducats by date is a cool idea, but bound to be challenging. That's a LOT of gold to buy!

I have an 1830 on my hat. It's in the picture below.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GDJMSP, I'll keep that in mind! It's a one-year type.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options

<< <i>Collecting ducats by date is a cool idea, but bound to be challenging. That's a LOT of gold to buy! >>

No kiddin !! But as far as I know - nobody's ever done it. So I figured what the heck - may as well be me image

Besides - I LIKE 'em image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    Go for it, dude!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD