Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jester's Challenge: an interactive history lesson

Welcome, Darkside Collectors (and all others who wish to participate)!!!

Inspired by others here on the Darkside forum, including Severo, Rublevik, Ajaan, Cacheman, Aethelred, Mongoose, Wybrit, LordMarcovan, Askari, Shirohniichan and many others, I'd like to start what I hope will turn into a great learning experience for all of us. The above-mentioned members, and many others, have done a formidable job in sharing with us many fascinating and historically important coins. Since that's one of the greatest pleasures to me, I'd like to try to follow in that time-honored tradition and submit for your pleasure and entertainment some world coins I've come across in my short lifetime.

I will pick out a coin on a regular basis, and post it along with the challenge to you to name the coin, its provenance, denomination, metallic content, mintage, any distinguishing characteristics or noteworthy features, and its value. The more information, the better. I'd like as many people as possible to participate, regardless of how little knowledge you might have on the subject. I appreciate comments on every aspect of the coin, including its history, or its role in human history, or info on similar coins in its series, etc. I myself don't assume to know 1/100 of what you collectively know, hence my challenge to all of you to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Hopefully this exercise will encourage thought, discussion, and primarily more friendship.

Thanks for your participation!!!

Here goes the first selection:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a penny from the Isle of Man, but I don't collect George III coins and could very well be wrong. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Aaaahhhhh, so the first one hooked is none other than a professor himself! I'm honored.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Isle of Man

copper

half-penny

also issued in 1798 (the year after the cartwheels)

reverse:
    triquetrum and legend
    Quocunque Jeceris Stabit = Wherever you throw it, it will stand. (the motto of IoM)

I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    I'm hooked too, but will leave no answers here yet. I saw one of these in gem condition, loved it, and was seriously tempted by it. My budget didn't allow for it, as my British copper indiscretions had left me destitute for the rest of the month.

Nice coin, and lots of info out there on it too!image
    Joe
  • Options
    Kuhli, great job. You're right on as to what it is, and other trivia related to it, althought I didn't know the other mintage date. Don't the cartwheels represent the first "modern" coins in the sense that they were the first produced using steam power? I think that's very interesting. Imagine trying to hammer a 2d. coin, or use a screw press! With steam power harnessed for the mintage of coins, new possibilities were uncovered.

What's the value of this coin? I see Aethelred has a penny like it for sale for $12. Is this a rare coin? I really don't know.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Can't tell if it is a halfpenny or a penny, though I'd bet on it being a halfpenny. Krause lists no mintage for either coin.

Halfpenny: F-$10.00, VF-$35.00, XF-$80.00, UNC-$200.00
    Penny: F-$8.00, VF-$35.00, XF-$100.00, UNC-$225.00.

This coin is below fine, so worth maybe $2-$6.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Thanks, folks. It is a half-penny.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ttt

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    TTT
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Does anyone know the origin of or the story behind the three legs runnining in a circle??? I have always wondered about that peculiar image.
    Shep
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the 1798 Half Penny (not a very good one, though)

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know the origin of or the story behind the three legs runnining in a circle??? I have always wondered about that peculiar image.
    Shep >>

I'm not too sure but I've seen it on ancient Greek coins. Whichever way you throw me I'll always land on my feet is a motto of fortitude, just as an Eagle or a Bear.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called the triskele.

Was this the first Jester's Challenge?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    You guessed it, miLord.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I thought it had similarities to a swastika, cool coin and neat link Lord M.
  • Options
    1813 - Napoleonic Wars are still going on, the French 1812 Russian Campaign has ended in a disaster blamed on weather (and not the French poor logistical train) and Europe is rising against the French once again. In Germany the Free States are actively rearming aided by the presence of a battered but victorious Russian Army. Russian Cossacks are pursuing the shattered remnants of the Grand Armee throughout northern Prussia and the German Free States. Austria has declared War on France and the greatest Battle of the Napoleonic Era has yet to be fought, The Battle of the Three Emperors 1813.

England is unable to participate with man-power, but once again opens its coffers and nearly bankrupts itself supplying Austria, Russia, and Prussia with the gold and silver necessary to purcharse the armaments of war. In England, massive amounts of copper and bronze coinage are made for local circulation, gold and silver is sent abroad along with the armaments necessary to crush the infamous Corsican Upstart once and for all.

How's that for a short history lesson image

As for the Three legged Isle of Man Copper penny - well I must ask - are three penises better than one? image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave