Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Look @ this action - Campbell RC

I am pretty sure this is because of the new FB HOF RC Set updated this past week.
But WOW, that is the absolute most I have ever seen a Campbell PSA 9 Rookie go for. . .with time remaining!

1979 Topps Earl Campbell RC PSA 9

Jeremy
Jeremy

Comments

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Wow is right..I saw it in the the $200 range and decided it was out of my price range, but $460???The SMR is $115, which goes along with the other thread about the SMR prices updating. Everything PSA 9 or 10 that was printed prior to 1981 should be majorly updated in the SMR. And that is going by Football prices over the past year.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • I bet we see another 3 or 4 of these listed in the next month. SMR should be around $175 - $200.
    But with the pop and year of this card, it shouldn't ever sell this year for more than $250 - $275 tops.

Ah the power of the Registry!

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    That card has been on my watch list since it came up... I was surprised to see it go to over $200 the first day, and I was shocked to see it at 4x SMR with 2 days to go! I was willing to go $250 or so, tops. That Wossamattau guy is a force. I believe this is the first PSA 9 Campbell to come up on eBay since I started watching in earnest around September.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Jeremy,

You are correct. Population report lists 58 PSA 9s and 3 PSA 10s.

This card has a unique history, being his rookie and the only year Topps produced his card. However, it will be interesting to see if this auction realizes more than a Payton PSA 9 rookie.
  • Seems like a ton of money to me. Looks like a little bit or wear on the botton right corner. image
  • It is hard to tell but it looks like 2 small print dots and another spot on the left side of the card on his jersey. If I was going to pay $500 for a Campbell psa-9 it wouldn't have no print spots for sureimage........but it could be just the scan.

Mike
  • It looks very clean from here, the one thing it does have going for it is that there is no print spot in the hair.
    Most every Campbell RC I've seen (in any grade) has had the doughnut mark in the hair.

I doubt this card will go any higher. Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • AlanAlan explained why this card is going for higher than expected very clearly - I believe this is the first PSA 9 Campbell to come up on eBay since I started watching in earnest around September. What the SMR and POP suggests about price and availability is meaningless when few examples are made available in the market. Obviously the people who own them have little interest in selling them. This could be because they want to keep them, or because there is no point in trying to compete with the price guide when selling them. The "temporary market value" of this card when one hits the market every 5 months is being determined now. The SMR should increase, but not double or triple. There will be people who own these watching, and some may now want to sell. Depending on how many are listed, and how much they sell for, this will be a better indication of the card's true stable value. If it really is double or triple the price listed currently, then I'm sure the SMR will be changed to reflect it.
    waittilltheytrytosell hit it the nail on the head. What you will see now are other PSA 9 Campbell's popping up. The first couple will go higher than usual(but not as high as the current Campbell), then they will slowly start to drop back to normal levels(which is probably about 2X SMR).

I would be surprised if this PSA 9 Campbell ends before another begins. I mean the POP isnt so low that they are not available.

In fact there is a BGS/BVG 9 Campbell already on. Would likely be easily crossed over as long as it is not trimmed..lol

JasP24

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Well it took over a month for another Campbell PSA 9 to come up. The one in February went for $460 and this closed for $360 which is more than triple SMR, I guess the first one wasn't a real fluke. I still haven't seen a Dorsett PSA 9 in 6 months, and only one OJ image.

Joe
  • WOW! I stopped watching this one with a couple minutes to go . . .Nice (High) Price!

Jeremy
    Jeremy
    The PSA 9 football cards from the 70's are definitely maintaining their high prices. The PSA 9 77 Largent rookie is over $1,200 with many days left.

I've opened some 70's packs recently, and I must say it is tough to pull MINT cards from the packs. I'm sure the vending boxes can produce some better finds than packs though.

JasP24
  • Hey Jasp - that Largent is a PSA 10 - but yes it did perk up early on - lately commons have been down and stars have been up. Also, not nearly as much 70s FB unopened on the market right now, compared to a year ago.
    But the price of that Campbell might drive the price of 79 boxes up overa short time.

Jeremy
    Jeremy
    60's football is scorching too, come to think of it so it early 80's. Look at Andy Madec's auction, Butkus is already over twice SMR and I just got outbid on a Csonka 9, way past SMR already. I surprised the Campbell that closed yesterday went for $410, the one that went for $360 looked better to me.

Joe
    Opps, my mistake...I meant 10, I guess 9 was on the brain..lol

I agree, centering on the Latest Campbell 9 wasn't all that great. I wonder how well a 50-50 version would sell these days...

JasP24
  • Again, this was the only year produced for Campbell - much higher current demand than supply on this issue. I am surprised by the recent auction prices as well. Except for the lack of mainstream cards, the poulation report numbers are similar to other key '70s rookies.

The last one was not that well centered. A centered version, without the print problems, still could command a premium over the last two prices.

The PSA Registry Set has been a benefit and a thorn for collectors. Those that had most of these cards in their collections, prior to the registry, are very fortunate or are able to sell at a substantial profit.
    Thank goodness for my foresight..lol..Although I only sell cards that I don't need, I'm glad I got most of my cards prior to the Registry. And at a significant discount to current prices.(I used to bid at 50% of SMR.....MAX)...

For example, I paid $91.00 for my PSA 8 1968 Griese...SMR is $185, and you won't sniff one for less than $200 right now..

Lucky to get anything at 100% SMR these days..lol

JasP24