Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Truth reminded me of a situation.

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was in a coin shop the other day, a good one. And a collection came in off the street. Nothing much to speak of as I strained to see what was in there, (come on we all do this). One coin was a rather nice well circulated 1909 S Indian. The coin was passed from dealer to dealer there as it was destined for Ebay. They passed the coin to me and I said VG 10 after examination. Two of the three dealers said it should be a fine 12, One dealer and I called it VG 10. The coin is on Ebay right now as a matter of fact. Anyway, the question for you guys and gals is this. when you list a coin for sale on the Internet or at a show and this assumes you put the grade on raw coins, do you hold the coin back a grade to sell as PQ or bump it up to sell as Ave for the grade?
Tbig

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    From past experience, I have found that an "in between" grade coin should be listed as the lesser grade and described as having "claims to a higher grade". Usually, the buyer tends to pay a bit more than the grade and some buyers will actually pay close to the next grade level. Either way, the buyer will be pleased with the purchase. When the coin is graded the next grade up, the buyer sometimes is disappointed as not having been described correctly in the ebay description.

TRUTH
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    There are a lot of dealers who will list a coin like that in the next grade up (maybe twoimage!) and hope that once the coin sells, it "sticks" with the unknowing, or inexperienced buyer. I think a lot of dealers and collectors would also grade up anticipating some negotiating, and feeling they can offer a bit off the price, and actually sell the coin where they wanted to initially. Hope that last one makes sense! image
    Then, there are a lot of dealers who will grade as Truth states, and those are usually the ones looking to establish some repeat clientele.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I just try to call it as I see it. In the example you give if the 1909-S has almost a full liberty I can't call it a fine even if that's the market grade. I'll call it a nice VG and get extra money for coin being nicer than average for grade.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbig which shop ? Please tell me, maybe I'm missing something in the Portland area.

Comment to the subject. If there is any doubt in the mind it goes down a grade with maybe a statement saying "Nice Coin".

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file