Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1883-CC ULTRA - DMPL ?

What's up with this coin? Did someone use white fingernail polish on it AND leave their fingerprints? Or is the reflection so good that you can see the guys hand (and prints) taking the picture? It doesn't like right to me but I am curious from the experts what has been done to it -

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/72176624?aucview=0x30
yahoo 1883-CC ULTRA DMPL

Comments

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Year minted 1833???
  • Options
    Sinin1- Yes, those are reflections, in the mirrors, of the photographer's finger. Very reflective. Super looking coin to me.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thats a scarey auction. Seller:.please look closely before you bid.......
    What?
    Its like a dare.Or `see if you can spot `it``
    It looks too good to be true.Deep mirrors.Frosty devices.
    Is it a clever silver round? What.
    California Proof Morgan?
    Is the fingerprint placed there as a distraction?
    Too many question...image
  • Options
    It looks like someone got in the baby powder.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options

<< <i>Year minted 1833??? >>

What?......You never make a typo before? Get real.

• Options
    You don't like what I post then please just ignore it instead of making stupid comments.
    The auction has been running for 7 day's plenty of time to correct a typo.
  • Options
    Dang those finger prints stand out. I guess that is why he said look closely. MS64 DMPL but after you send it to NCS to hopefully remove the prints.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    littlewicher, troll

<<It looks like someone got in the baby powder>>

Why do you even bother, you are clueless, don't know what you're looking at, but just feel compelled for some reason to make a comment?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    DCAM - I am not concerned about the typo 1883/1833, I actually made it on my original post.

My question is if this is authentic, then why does the frost extend from the device onto the field ( as seen around some of the stars ) or is this just an optical illusion?

I realized you are one of the best cameo/deep cameo judges/experts in the country and am curious as to your thoughts - also I am wondering why what I think are finger prints in the field are the same color exactly as the frost on the devices.

Is this an awesome coin or one that would be returned in a bb?
  • Options
    I was making a sarcastic remark, idiot. What did you contribute to this thread? NOTHING!

I think the coin has been artificially frosted or has some kind of powder on it? It would explain the fingerprint. If he touched whatever was used, then accidentally touched the fields, it would leave that mark, and would be the best explanation for the print.

-Laura Swenson

• Options
    sinin,

On DMPL CC dollars, the mint frost extending out into the fields is not only natural on a minority of exceptional cameoed DMPL pieces, it is actually considered highly desirable by knowledgeable collectors.

Typically, you may see the mint frost extend out into the fields in the following areas:

1) In front of Libertys face/forehead
    2) At the junction of Libertys neck/chin
    3) At the base of Libertys cap
    4) Above the eagles head and below the motto
    5) Just below the eagles wings adjacent to the legs

Less infrequently, you may see frost 'halos' around the date, legends, and stars on some exceptional heavily cameoed pieces.

Hope this clears that up.

dragon
  • Options
    Sinin1- Well this one of those embarrassing moments. I have often had instances arise where things in a scan/photo were very obvious to some Members and not obvious on my Sony monitor. Here is one of them! I went back to those photos a couple of different times and I don't see the fingerprint(s). Are you referring to something under the B and U of pluribus?
  • Options

<< <i>You don't like what I post then please just ignore it instead of making stupid comments.
    The auction has been running for 7 day's plenty of time to correct a typo. >>

I think the "stupid comment" is yours. Don't make it and the rest of us won't have to ignore it. You are constantly nit-picking about the stupidist, most minute mistake, such as this little typo, and then the rest of us are stuck reading your immature comments. Give it a break!
  • Options
    I will do what I want thank you. You don't like it tuff. I am not here to please you nazi nor do I care what you think.
    Sorry to put this in a thread but his pm is not enabled.
  • Options
    Dragon, you still haven't specifically commented on the piece in question. What is your opinion of the specific coin? Also, why haven't you responded to my PM?

-Laura Swenson

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Thanks Dragon - so your opinion this is an awesome example of very deep cameo.

DCAMFranklin - obverse 1/3 back of chin to neck - about 6 semiarchs - could be reflection from camera
    reverse 2 areas - on eagle right around arrow heads between eagle and wreath
    also to the left of eagle between feathers and wreath (finger?)
  • Options
    sinin,

I wouldn't classify that piece as an awesome cameo, but going by that pic, it looks to have very deep mirrors and decent contrast.

Also keep in mind that DMPL dollars can sometimes be very difficult to take pics of......all kinds of stuff shows up, doesn't show up, is there, isn't there, shadows, reflections, etc.

dragon
  • Options

<< <i>DCAM - I am not concerned about the typo 1883/1833, I actually made it on my original post.

My question is if this is authentic, then why does the frost extend from the device onto the field ( as seen around some of the stars ) or is this just an optical illusion?

I realized you are one of the best cameo/deep cameo judges/experts in the country and am curious as to your thoughts - also I am wondering why what I think are finger prints in the field are the same color exactly as the frost on the devices.

Is this an awesome coin or one that would be returned in a bb? >>

talk about a JOKE...re-read the above chump attribution......heh....
  • Options
    I am still curious on more opinions from people besides the friday night at the fights crew.image

Do you feel this is original or played with?
  • Options
    The coin looks fine
  • Options
    Did someone say 83CC DMPL? image

• Options
    OMG - how did you get the lightbulbs in the coin - it looks like a lampshade!
  • Options
    I'm not an expert, but the "finger print" seems to match approximatly front to back. Before I spent over 150 bucks on anything I would want a better/less distracting photo, but that may be technologically impossible for them.
    Never doubt that a small group of determned people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file