Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wife reading "Photograde"- Help Grade a coin.

She's oblivious to me typing this 2 feet from her. But she's reading the book!

-Dave
(Updated to post coin... this is a very important decision. See coin below.)

Comments

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Terrible thing to have happen Dakra. You'll never be able to convince her you only paid $20 for that 1933 St.Gaudens.image Do you think she's learning to appraise your collection for the settlement?image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    And I thought that was one of those books people bought just to look at the picturesimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think she's learning to appraise your collection for the settlement? >>

An ex-boss of mine, who was quite wealthy, frequently bought nice jewelry for his wife. As an aside, she was quite a bit younger than he, and a babe. Anyway, each time she got a gift she'd immediately have it appraised, saying it was for insurance purposes.

Funny thing is, he didn't carry a jewelry rider on his homeowner's policy.image (Said he didn't need to because he'd just buy new stuff if it ever got lost or stolen).

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I'm worried. I can just see it now. She walked over to the computer, and he, being a little distracted pondering my post failed to minimize the browser. She read the post, and said "Do you really believe that?", to which he had only feeble mumbling half-excuses. In anger, she went to the safe, pulled out all the boxes, and flung them in the floor, saying "Is this all you care about, are these more important than us, is this your God?". He in horror......

Well, it's either that, or they are looking at the book together.image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Whew,For a minute there I thought you were going into a Clankeye episode.image

And I thought that was one of those books people bought just to look at the pictures

LOL!!!!!!!
    If I may use the analogy,if you were looking at it THAT way all the picture would have black tape across their eyes.

That was scarey..Sorry I went there.image
  • Options
    if you were looking at it THAT way all the picture would have black tape across their eyes

The analogy being `thats how old those pictures are`.........nevermind.Your too young to know..image
  • Options
    I'm old enough to know........LOL.
  • Options
  • Options
    It was either last night or tonight... they tend to blend in after a while. I bought a coin using BIN. She looked at it afterwards and said "It Looks Circulated!", I tried to hide my embarassment and said "About Uncirculated". In any case, I got a good deal.

I mean, I'm a manly man and I can pick out my own coins!....
    but it's nice to see her taking an interest in coins. It's always nice to get a second opinion.

...My wife loves me, she couldn't be appraising them for any reason...right?

-Dave
  • Options
    Oh yeah, right..absolutely...I wouldn't worry. {cough}image
  • Options
    Just listen to the `old` wise gentlemen here and you,ll do alright.image

Re Photograde; but really.It is an OK reference guide BUT,the photos arent that great so...
    Well,it is better than nothing but it really needs to be updated with sharp color photos to
    meet the aim of the book.Just a thought.
    Next book to get is the ANA grading standards book.More explaination but still,leaves you wanting
    more detailed explanations.
    Lots of good reading material out there.Photograde is one of the ones you start with.
    Now...move along quickly children....image
  • Options
    I'm still learning and photograde had given me a good background. I think becoming familiar with a certain type and seeing hundreds of examples is the best education I have found. Of course, the ANA Grading book is on my list of things to read.

While I have you guys here. Would the attached make MS64?

-Thanks
    -Dave
  • Options
    Looks 64 to me. Nice coin. My guess is that the chatter looks better at normal size. Looks like the luster is intact too.
  • Options
    Not that I am concerned about grade but it's probably one of the best I have seen.

-Dave
  • Options
    Fields and strike seem clear enough. Luster? That's the question. I can't tell from the scan.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I see no luster at all but that might be in the scan? mike
  • Options
    If I read the scan right I,d say there is a little luster there.Its pretty subduded though I think.
    Therefore it may be a low MS or high AU.
    Hows that for narrowing it down.....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file